• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

My 26 T speedster

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Here is why i am wanting to learn about the trunk. I am getting back on my 26 T speedster project that has been on hold for about 6 years.
The chassis has been done except paint for a few years now,new thrust washers and seals and such in the rear,new kingpins and such in the front with new Timken bearings.I also copied the Laurel lowering brackets made back in the day to give it a drop along with reverseing the eyes on the front spring.I just dropped the rear by moving the top 3 springs to the bottom for a inch or 2 drop.Kinda gives the chassis a slight "rake".
The trunk will have to have a notched area in the bottom to clear the rear crossmember.But if I put the spare on a folding bracket,the trunk could still be folded down.In this prototype layout it is to high to me...
I was going fenderless on this project back when I first started on it but the past week or 2 since I got it back in the shop,i keep looking at pictures of fendered cars and like them better.I was going fenderless because I don't have any 26-7 sheet metal.KInda scarce as hotrodders grabbed it all years ago. But running with a brain fart I had yesterday evening I grabbed some 17-25 sheet metal I had laying around and Um,I think I can come up with something.
I will update as time goes by.Gota get sheet metal blasted and do alot of welding on the 1 right front fender I have and the trunk.

Attachments

Tony Thompson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/18/2019
Really enjoy the before and after, looking forward to more photos. You should get a skull cap and goggles !

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I had been looking at different things like the windshields and such and found that site sunday.
Good place for ideas.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I must admit,speedster kits come about a little differnt around Mack's Garage.
First, the family buys land in 1969 with a bunch of trees on it and then 1 of them dies , a red oak.,about 2010 and falls on a nieghbors fence about 2017
Then I bring the logs out from the woods and they lay around a while longer.
Do you see a speedster yet?
:D

My dad sawed the biggest log to make sure I got about 5 2x4's and the other stuff I felt I needed. I have about 14 1x12's already cut but for whatever reason the guy that sawed them for me did not leave any 1x4's or anything.The log I got them from was WAY to big for me and my 85 year old dad to handle.I actually had the guy come up with his Caterpiller rubber tired loader to pick it up.It wa about 22 inches accross and green.
.But we managed these.You wouldn't think anything useful could come from these logs.
So now I should have enough lumber to make the speedster body for sure.
I sawed the 2 small logs myself with my dad offbearing the slabs.
I wont need very much lumber but with the way it warps and so forth you have to cut extra.

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
A doodlebug is a chassis cut down in length and another trans for low speed.Pulling.Called Short dog's in these parts.
These parts will all be cleaned,repaired and painted and finished to look presentable. This is all mock up to see how what fits.
This 1 is a bit "slammed" as you said,but I made copies of the Laurel Lowering brackets that were made back in the day for racing.You remove the spring perch and install it on to the brackets and bolt the brackets to the axle in place of them. I also reversed the eyes on the leaf spring.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Well the sand blaster called today.So now I have my work cut out! hehe, anyhow,boy,grim reminder that the old sandblaster can reveal the cold hard truth about what you have!
But It will get fixed. BUT stupid me took 2 of the same side splash apron so I will get the other cleaned up later on.
Right now,this pile will keep me busy! The fender pic messed up.Oh well. This is a veiw of the trunk I am hoping to refurbish. I knew it needed metal work.Just not quite that much!

Attachments