• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

My 2HP Vertical IHC Pump Engine Project by Paul Spence 06-05-2008 Views: 16,221

Smokstak

Back in 1995 while attending the Canandaigua, NY engine show, I came across this vertical pump engine that was missing the pump set up. I asked, but it was not for sale. The next day as I was checking things out, I passed the same engine, and it had a for sale sign on it? I asked, how much? After the usual positioning, we then agreed on a final price and I loaded it in the pick up. Note the place on the base that is missing the bracket, gearing and eccentric.

Since then, I have been looking for the bracket, gear, eccentric, walking beam and other parts to complete the pumper. I advertised in GEM, on Harry's, and scoured the engine shows and flea markets for years and the usual responses were, "GOOD LUCK", or sell me your engine because I have the parts you need, I just need the engine to make me a pumper? A WEB friend of mine (Ray), had the same need and we would check in with each other from time to time to see if either one had found anything. As the years passed, we kept up our search. Then in July of 2004, Ray had found a walking beam set up he could borrow, to use, to make a casting and asked if I wanted one? It took me 30 nanoseconds to say "YES". Two weeks later, UPS delivered the raw castings. NICE if I have to say so myself.

While this was happening, I contacted my machinist friend Rob to let him know what I found and that I would be needing some work done. No problem.

Ray also found the gearing I needed for sale in California, but repeated tries to make the contact were futile. Guess they got sold along the way?
About an hours work with the 9" grinder made the castings even nicer. More to do after machining.

So, back to Harry's for another try at finding the gearing I need because I now have half of what I need to finish this project. Well, nothing for two weeks then I got a message from Kevin who had what I needed and was willing to sell it if we could come to a mutual price agreement. Kevin sent me some photos, I made an offer and he shipped the rest of the major parts I needed to get this project completed. Isn't that 25 1/4" 50 pound gear beautiful?

as is the gear mounting bracket and eccentric.

I then spent the next few days moving things around, retrieving the engine from my son Billy's place, cleaning it up from storage, cleaning up the gear, bracket and eccentric and then placed them on the engine. "N I C E".

At the same time, I went out to the 4" x 4" post pile and selected the nicest one I had for the walking beam support. I needed a 1/2" bevel on all 4 edges of the post and had to "BUY" a 45 degree router bit from Sears Hardware at around $25 (WOW) to do this one time job. Hey, I now have another tool bit for the router, and that's OK. Next time I need it (?), It's "FREE" ?

I trial fit all the parts together, and find that I have an alignment problem with all the parts when used on the existing truck the engine sits on. Hmmm, this is a good excuse to buy one of those new "LASER" tools from Sears Hardware, but who needs an excuse to buy a new tool ? Some modifications to the truck will be made to accommodate the alignment problem. Just takes a bit longer, that's all.

Next step is getting the machining done, making up the beam supports, pump drive link, the pump pitman arm, getting a windmill pump and well cylinder.

Must have a pump someplace on my 1/2 acre that I can use... What's that sitting back by the air conditioner? It's one (?) of my windmill pumps. After rummaging around in one of the sheds, I found the other one that's in better shape. When grandson Conrad (5) came over we took it all apart. He sure got dirty wrenching bolts off that old pump. We had a good time, and it was a good thing his mom didn't see him.

I took the castings up to Rob for machining and just have to wait till he gets them done. In the mean time, I took my Mast & Foos windmill pump and stripped off all the years of paint on paint. Those frozen dinner containers I get for lunch on 3rd. shift sure come in handy for bolts and things. Where did that toe come from? What the ....

Running down leads on a well cylinder from "NEW" to used. I repaired the 25 1/4" bull gear gib key with the 4" grinder, a class 5 bolt and the mig welder. Came out good for a temporary fix. I'll have to order a few from McMaster Carr next week. Looks like I need a new 1 1/4" x 16" jack shaft. See the fractured key way! Probably due to the fact that the key way in the jack shaft doesn't go all the way through under the gear, and or maybe, it was just run loose? Oh well, just another challenge since the eccentric side gib key is welded in place. ROB !!!

Then I lined up the gear square with the rim of the flywheel as best as I could and tightened down the bracket to the base. Things sure are a bit "LOOSE" from old time wear. Started the engine today (Saturday 9-4-2004) for the first time since I brought it home back in 1995. Had to make a few adjustments (getting better at this) before trying, but it started up on the second turn of the flywheels in the right direction (?) and kept running? After a few minutes the gib key loosened up a bit in the bull gear and it started to wobble so I shut it down. I'm beginning to see why there aren't many of these pumpers left around.

9-06-2004 Today was another "FUN" day in NJ after I fixed the broken wheels on the B-B-Q with new "STEEL" wheels and a bigger axle and those broken mower wheels on the fence gate, and... then to really have some black smithing fun. I got the 3/4" cold rolled steel out, the anvil, the big hammer , the "HEAT WRENCH", a bucket of water just in case (this is "HOT" stuff), the safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection and started making the walking beam post supports. My first try was with 3/4" black pipe the other day, but it just didn't look right. Here is a photo of the second one with cold rolled steel being formed. Camera in my right hand, big hammer in my left, and "GEESE, no third hand- oh well, have to make do with what I have. Anyway, got one end of each of the three supports formed and will custom fit the other end to the engine truck when I mount the post and beam in there final position. Just doing a bit at a time.

I have all the machined parts along with a new custom jack shaft and gib keys from Rob and fit it all together. Still need some alignment between all the parts so I don't get any binding, anyplace. I need to get the walking beam post closer to the water pump, but the pump relief valve is sticking straight back and not to the side. I found one with the valve on the side that matches the year of the engine on eBay, but $255 couldn't buy it, and it needed work. I checked Don Oberholtzers site, made contact with him and bought his last, nice, new, complete reproduction one from him, that is ready to go. The wood on each side of the engine cart were of different sizes so I got some straight ? pressure treated SYP from Home Depot and replaced them. Good thing I did because one of them was rotten through. Winter time and the cold weather is hampering my progress, and almost everything is on hold. So, here I sit at work, on break, waiting for the weather to break.

We have had a few nice days in January and February (05) and the shed warmed up enough for me to do some work. Made a platform for the cooling tank and well pump. Plumed in the cooling tank and the engine to the new water pump. Set the upright and walking beam temporarily in place and put the plum bob in place so I can drill a hole through the platform for the well pipe. I cleaned up the well cylinder and installed the new cylinder leathers I got from Dean Bennett Supply Co.. Shipping was more than the cost of the cylinder leathers, but sure beats driving all over trying to find them locally with gas at $1.699 per gallon. Still have to do a final alignment of all the gearing to the engine which means removing all the gearing (again), opening up the mounting holes in the gear bracket a bit, drilling the taper pin locks in the base, after removing the gas tank. Once that is done, I have to re-position the walking beam and pump location. Just a lot of taking apart, putting together a few times to get it right. Found a nice galvanized pail at the local flea market to be used for pumping the water into. I'll cut out part of the bottom and plum it into the well pump underneath the cart for a continuous flow. Sure will be a nice display when I get it done. Wish I had more time (who doesn't) to work on it. Here is a picture of where I'm at. Looking better all the time.

4-20-2005 FINALLY, got time to work on this project again. Problem is, it won't fit through the shed door all set up like this. Had to take it apart anyway, so I did. Problem is, no room on the patio? So I spent a 1/2 day cleaning that off and reorganizing (sound familiar?) and got it moved to the patio, and patio stuff to the engine shed, and....

4-21-2005 Pulled the gearing and bracket off in an attempt to line up the bull gear with the drive gear on the crank shaft. Have to "egg" out the 4 mounting holes so the bracket/gearing fits right. Just part of using mismatched parts from one engine on another. After 3 times with the big round file, I got it, and guess what? The # 7 taper pin alignment holes did not line up? Now to find the right sized # 7 x 1-1/4" taper pins, drill new holes and ream them for the #7 taper pins.. Went to the thick yellow book (McMaster Carr page 2876 book 106) and ordered me a pack of 10 for around $6.00 + shipping. They shipped them Thursday afternoon. Maybe I'll get them Friday? Got the pins Friday morning via UPS, but in the meantime I decided to pull the gas tank and check it out. Good thing I did as it had a few nice (?) rusted through holes in the 1/8' thick steel plate tank. So I just cut off about 6" with my trusty SAWZALL. Nice tool to have laying around for occasional use.

Here is a close up of of the holes in the tank. It was quite thin in several places.

I cut the tank short enough so I could reuse a cut off part of the top for the new end. Here is the old part with the top cut off. Check out the rust in the bottom. Got about a pint of dry rusty crud out when I opened it up.

After a bit of grinding, I got out the clamps and the MIG welder and welded up 3/4 of the end I cut off. After some more trimming with the SAWZALL and grinder I welded up the last 1/4 and it came out nice, with no leaks.

I then sealed the inside of the tank with the first coat of tank sealer. Once that's dry, I'll do it a second time.
I have to install the tank along with the cleaned fuel lines and make a couple of tank supports for underneath the tank before putting the bull gear and bracket back in place, with the re-positioned taper pin bracket locks.

5-28-2005 Finally got in the right frame of mind to continue with the project. I took the gas tank out so I could position the bull gear correctly. Had to "EGG" out the bracket holes a bit more as I didn't like the way the bull gear meshed with the crank gear. Once in the right spot, I tightened down the bracket and drilled two new 3/8" holes through the bracket and base for the new #7 taper pins. Got out the borrowed taper pin reamer (thanks Rob) and reamed away. After about the third reaming, I got the holes almost perfect. I then took it all apart and put the gas tank and fuel lines back in place. Then I put it all back together again for the last time and drove the taper pins in their new locations. Gee this is almost fun? I reconnected the driven pump rod on the eccentric and free wheeled it. Looking good.

Now to position the pump correctly. Set up a plum bob off the walking beam to locate the hole for the pump piping and drilled a 3" hole in the 2 x 12. Mounted the pump and piping and guess what. Yea, it doesn't line up with the pump rod? WHAT THE HECK. No problem, I just drilled another 3" hole offset from the original. Now that's "FUN" with a hole saw. Got it positioned so it works nicely. Then I drilled a 2" hole for the bucket drain connection. WRONG as the packing nut wouldn't fit. WHAT THE HECK. No problem, I just drilled a 3" hole where the 2" hole was. Now that's really fun with a 3" hole saw?

Now for the walking beam post braces that I already started with one end finished. Got out the anvil and torches and went to work. The original set up has these braces set at 36" from the base so that was the first point of reference. The bottom on the pump side was done first. I decided to use the pump base hole already through the lower beam for a solid connection. Fired up the torch and went to work. Had to do a dog leg bend to fit around the pump housing, but I got it. Now with the angles at both ends correct I drilled a 3/8" hole through the walking beam post at the 36" location and put the bolt through it. Nice job. Now for the cross brace. I just hung it on the post bolt I just installed and measured to the frame where I had to make the bend. It took a few tries but I got it with an inch overlap. I heated the 1" overlap and bent it around the steel angle iron frame and drilled a 3/8" hole through the brace, angle iron frame and wood. Then I put a 3/8" bolt through it and tightened it up. WOW is that walking beam support solid.

Then I decided to do the hidden plumbing from the pump to the bucket. Just another "JOY" at the local Depot finding all the necessary pluming parts. I just searched through it "ALL" to get what I needed. I did it with plastic piping and slip joints because it was just easier for now. Some day I may do it in iron pipe.

WELL, here it is, mostly done and operational. I'm one happy camper, so to speak.

5-31-2005 I ran the set up pumping water for about 30 minutes today by adding gas to the over flow mixer. I had the gas tank bottom drain out as I didn't want to put gas in the tank untill I picked up some fresher gas. When I decided to quit for the day, I said I'll just let it run till it stopped. Well, it didn't? What the HECK. I looked in the over flow mixer and gas was being pumped in from the tank with a lot of air, and no gas was on the patio? Seems the slight grade of the patio was just enough to put fuel in the tank near the pick up tube, but not enough to make it come out the drain hole? I just closed the needle valve and it stopped.

Here is my 2HP IHC Pumper at the Delaware Valley Show in October 2005 along with a couple of other smaller engines and my Dietz Pioneer lantern. The pumper sure attracted a lot of attention and ran as sweet as could be all Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Paul is just having fun, even in NJ.
One of my favorite LINKS
Harry's - EnginAds