• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

My backyard winter vista

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
I told my three sons,40 years ago that we wouldn't buy anything that we couldn't put inside to preserve, and protect. AND we haven't!!!

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
I told my three sons,40 years ago that we wouldn't buy anything that we couldn't put inside to preserve, and protect. AND we haven't!!!
Yeah, that would be the perfect scenario. Nearly all of what is pictured was purchased & retrieved after I was contacted by someone who was either buying or selling acreage and wanted the relics removed. They were historically conscientious enough to give me a chance to save them before they were scrapped. If you have ever seen cast iron being destroyed by an excavator with pinchers it is a pitiful sight. Just ask the witnesses that saw the Snows at Heath Station being "removed". Some of my items were obtained after the scrappers contacted me and said it was pulled out and ready to be loaded on their trailer but had decided to see if I was interested. I have lost some because the landowner thought they were heavier than I KNEW they were and thought my offer was too low They later hauled them to a scrapyard themselves. I even told one young know-it-all that was waiting for the price of scrap to go up that if he took his beautiful small eccentric power to be weighed at the gravel yard 2 miles down the road I would provide him with 20% more cast iron in the form of old junk tractor transmission housings. No deal. I then asked if he would call me when he hauled it to the scrapyard so I could follow him & buy it from the scrap dealer. I'm still waiting on that call after 4 years.
Feel free to decline an item because you can't put it inside but please let someone else know about it before it returns to us as a Chinese frying pan. Bill Klein

Lou Quirch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03-09-2020
Yeah, that would be the perfect scenario. Nearly all of what is pictured was purchased & retrieved after I was contacted by someone who was either buying or selling acreage and wanted the relics removed. They were historically conscientious enough to give me a chance to save them before they were scrapped. If you have ever seen cast iron being destroyed by an excavator with pinchers it is a pitiful sight. Just ask the witnesses that saw the Snows at Heath Station being "removed". Some of my items were obtained after the scrappers contacted me and said it was pulled out and ready to be loaded on their trailer but had decided to see if I was interested. I have lost some because the landowner thought they were heavier than I KNEW they were and thought my offer was too low They later hauled them to a scrapyard themselves. I even told one young know-it-all that was waiting for the price of scrap to go up that if he took his beautiful small eccentric power to be weighed at the gravel yard 2 miles down the road I would provide him with 20% more cast iron in the form of old junk tractor transmission housings. No deal. I then asked if he would call me when he hauled it to the scrapyard so I could follow him & buy it from the scrap dealer. I'm still waiting on that call after 4 years.
Feel free to decline an item because you can't put it inside but please let someone else know about it before it returns to us as a Chinese frying pan. Bill Klein
Are any of those powers for sale?
I want to set up a working display at our farm in Indiana.
Thanks,
Lou

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019
Guess I could use a Chinese fryin pan as well as a hand full of rust dust!!! :salute:

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
Bill,
when the price of scrap was through the roof , I was bidding against the scrap guys a lot , the auctioneers even hated it , cause they knew it was a one time buy ,
thanks for the saves
JC

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
".....ask the witnesses that saw the Snows at Heath Station being "removed"."
Sir, that's the hardest thing to read.
I touched those engines, heard the music outside, oogled at the cooling pipes in the pond, felt the breeze on a hot evening from a flywheel and still have the revolution counter's numbers that I wrote down on a scrap in my billfold.
I didn't know.
I can also sympathize with Mr Burk tho. I have some key items here that must be indoors. Nature's garage has not been kind.
Beautiful photos Bill! Your key items are inside. ;)
If I may: A night time view in pure pea soup looking across some old tractors towards the neighbor's yard lamp.

Attachments

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Are any of those powers for sale?
I want to set up a working display at our farm in Indiana.
Thanks,
Lou
Hi Lou. I do have a PAOVA power I would sell. They are one of the more unique ones. Send me an e mail & I will supply some pics. Yes, it is one of the ones where I was bidding against the local scrapper- it had sat outside at the old lease for years and has been outside at my place for 3 years. According to HBurk it should only be a "handful of rust dust" by now but it is actually in pretty good shape. I believe it would be a perfect and unique addition to your display- unlike HBurk's Chinese frying pans. Bill Klein

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Certain things will degrade quickly when stored outside of course. Others will weather very very well.
The large hit miss engines that I have mechanically restored, haven't noticeably degraded from being outside... just like they have been for over a hundred years.

And for the record, my wife is right now cooking on a nice Griswold cast iron skillet that laid outside for I don't know how many years before I got it.