• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

My First Kohler - 6R0Y61

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Just sayin,,

Johnny is bored. Who will put money on that he'll drag it in the garage and tinker on it within a month. I won't take that bet.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
It has been a long cold and snowy winter and now a very wet spring here in New Jersey, but I finally unwrapped the Kohler from its winter coat and got it on the rolling platform.

My plan for this coming week is to remove the diesel motor for a complete teardown to assess damage from the mechanic that drilled through a cylinder wall when trying to remove a freeze plug.

Stay tuned for updates.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Yesterday I decided to drain the oil and prepare for motor removal. What came out was a mixture of oil and water which made a thick sludge and took forever to drain.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Wow! It has been almost 3 weeks since I last touched the Kohler. I've been soooooo busy with other generators and home priorities that finding time to work on the Kohler was almost impossible, however this evening I made time.

My objective before I die of old age is to open the motor and assess the full extent of the damage caused by drilling through the cylinder. This evening I removed all that needed to be removed from the motor and split the motor from the generator head as seen in the pictures below. All I need to do from this point is get my engine hoist into position to remove the motor and rip it open. My goal by the end of this coming weekend is to have the motor ripped apart. For now, the Kohler is under plastic covers to get it dry.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Today I pulled the motor and the motor now rests in my garage waiting to be torn down to assess the damages. I did the motor pull just in time as it started to rain as I was moving the motor into the garage. The forecast calls for rain tonight and all day tomorrow, followed by 3 days of very hot and humid weather. It won't be too bad working in the garage. If all goes well, I should be breaking down the motor tomorrow after work and I will post more pictures.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
This evening I spent exactly an hour to rip down the Yanmar motor down to the bare block. Below are 4 pictures. I did not assess all the damages, but at minimum I will need a full and complete gasket set for the motor, possibly 1 piston, rings and bearings. The block will need to be sleeved as previously discussed. The piston did not take a direct hit from the drill, but the oil ring groove seemed to be distorted enough to cause the oil ring to be jammed in its groove. Contaminated oil and crap was found throughout the block. Everything would need to be thoroughly cleaned and flushed. Too bad this happened to a motor with only 63 hours.

I think the cost for parts and sleeving, will far exceed the cost of a used motor, but I'm sure a used motor may have hundreds, if not thousands of hours on it. Is it worth is for on a 6kw generator :shrug:?

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

Motorhead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Johnny, If you DO buy only one piston, I'd recommend weighing it against one of the used pistons to make sure it weighs the same. Just a suggestion.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Only 63 hours.... Begs the question, why would someone be drilling out a core plug on a motor with only 63 hours on it.... :shrug:

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Only 63 hours.... Begs the question, why would someone be drilling out a core plug on a motor with only 63 hours on it.... :shrug:
Poor coolant maintenance most likely.

I would not worry about balancing the piston too much for a little engine like this that runs 1800. It was designed to run much faster than that.

I would try to save the piston with a little work from a file. Let's see a picture of the damage. This engine is not going to run 10,000 hours, take a little risk.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
The generator has a few years in it and the water pump was changed as well as the freeze plug directly behind the pump was also replaced most likely at the same time. Both the pump and plug were not painted kohler yellow unlike the rest of the motor. Exactly why the freeze plug was replaced??? Good question. Could be as Birken Vogt suggests - poor coolant maintenance resulting in the freeze plug to rust and leak, so the pump and plug were replaced at the same time and the mechanic accidently drilled too far? Aside form the damage and the mess, all the parts of the motor look new. The crank is in perfect condition. No signs of wear or anything abnormal. Starter works like new. The ring gear on the flywheel shows absolutely no signs of wear. It all looks new. It would be the perfect motor that anyone would want if there was no damage.

If the cost to rebuild the motor exceeds the worth of this 6kw generator as a whole which most likely will be the case, I will part out the motor. Anyone needing a compatible part would be in heaven knowing the parts have virtually no use. New Yanmar parts are outrageously priced and out of reach for many people trying to restore an old generator.

What I will not give away is the outdoor enclosure. Most likely I will use it for another generator. The outdoor enclosure is in very good condition and can be easily retrofitted for a large RV set of a JB. Not sure if a JC will fit in it.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Motorhead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
The Dayton/Generac I revived had the same issue...POOR cooling system maintenance. It only had 260 hours on it but the water pump ($400) all the freeze plugs and the radiator (I was able to patch it up but over $1000 new) were shot. I think a water cooled engine is way better running than just sitting.
That is the MAIN reason I sold it and found my Air-Cooled JB. One Major thing less to worry about, no belts, no hoses, no thermostats, no radiator, no water pump.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
As posted several days ago, the Yanmar diesel motor is completely apart down to the bare block. Aside from the physical damages to the block, the motor had to be totally disassembled to be cleaned as water and crap contaminated every component inside the block. Unless the block and internal components are completely cleaned and cylinder(s) sleeved, it is junk. Several here posted about threading the drilled hole in the cylinder, inserting a plug, bore/grind what is needed to be machined and hope it works. That is great, but using that method is no guarantee and if it fails I would have wasted money and time on the gaskets, bearings, and seals that needed to be replaced. As many know I like to do the job right the first time or not at all.

Since the time this set arrived I've been pricing parts needed as well as machine work needed to get the Yanmar diesel working like new. I keep coming up to figures that far exceed to total value of this 6kw generator making it not economically feasible to fix. It is a shame since this set has only 63 hours on it although it is an early 2000's model. Many of the major components show no signs of wear that I can see.

What is the future of this Kholer? I have plans to use the outdoor enclosure for one of the other sets, and dismantled the rest of it. Whatever is junk such as the block will be brought to the recycling scrap yard. Other parts such as the injector pump, starter, alternator, and whatever will be inspected and stored away until someone needs a part that I have. Parts such as the meters will be used in my future projects to cut down on costs.

That's about it! It is a shame that one little mistake by a tech (or who ever decided to remove the freeze plug) can cause catastrophic failure in a matter of seconds by drilling too far and through the cylinder wall. It was an expensive and unfortunate situation for the original owner of this Kohler, but as they say, "Sh1T HapPenS".

JohnnyC
New Jersey

LWB250

Registered
What is the future of this Kholer? I have plans to use the outdoor enclosure for one of the other sets, and dismantled the rest of it. Whatever is junk such as the block will be brought to the recycling scrap yard. Other parts such as the injector pump, starter, alternator, and whatever will be inspected and stored away until someone needs a part that I have. Parts such as the meters will be used in my future projects to cut down on costs.

That's about it! It is a shame that one little mistake by a tech (or who ever decided to remove the freeze plug) can cause catastrophic failure in a matter of seconds by drilling too far and through the cylinder wall. It was an expensive and unfortunate situation for the original owner of this Kohler, but as they say, "Sh1T HapPenS".

JohnnyC
New Jersey
No worse than the four year old 25kW Generac standby set I took out of a $1.5M home in Terre Haute, IN due to the cost of replacing a failed ignition module. Generac charged around $2000 for the module, and once we factored in the expense of travel time, mileage and repair time we were close to 50% of the cost of a new unit.

We sold the customer a new unit and hauled the old one back to the shop.

I took the unit off the hands of my employer for nothing. They weren't going to put any money into it, and the likelihood of it providing spares for another customer were pretty slim.

I've been a Mercedes enthusiast/owner for nearly 30 years, and run a number of online forums and lists that include people from all over the world. I got a hold of a Mercedes shop owner I know in Australia and asked him if he had a source for Mitsubishi industrial engine parts. Understand that Generac bought this engine complete from Mitsubishi - Mitsubishi did not sell any versions of it in the US in either automotive or industrial versions, meaning that aftermarket parts were only available for it through Generac in the US.

Anyway, my Aussie MB buddy did, in fact, have an automotive electrical guy he worked with regularly, with whom he put me in touch.

Two weeks later I had a new ignition module for $USD 40 - including the shipping from Down Under - and a new 25kW standby set for my house.

Nice.

Dan

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Rather than scrap the block, I wonder if someone would want to just patch the hole? :shrug:

Eldon Tolan

Registered
Hi JohnnyC, Don't know if you're still working on your kohler, but I came across a place on craigslist that sells engines. They have a yanmar 3TNE78 for $1995. They're in Tennessee. Ph# 931-397-3969. Name- Chris. Good luck