• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

My JH Williams Wrench Display Board

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I remember my dad having 2 or 3 BIG wrenches like those Fred has pictured. Dad also had a couple of large nuts, probably 4 to 5 inches across. The story dad told me on them was a large steel truss bridge was built here in the county around 1900 (I remember the bridge although it was torn down in the mid 1970's). The bridge had large rods (probably 2 1/2 to 3 inch in diameter) running from the top of the bridge to the bottom at around 45 degree angles. The big rods has large nuts on each end and the wrenches were used to tighten them. If there are any knowledgeable bridge folks out there you may know what type bridge I'm talking about. I never knew what happened to the wrenches as they seemed to just disappear. Dad may have sold them or given them to an employee.

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2020
This is my BIG wrench. It is 41” long and has a 5” opening. I don’t think it is a Williams, the only marking I see is 8287 cast in the handle. I don’t know how much it weighs but it feels like a hundred pounds! The handle also has a slight bend, it must have been made that way, if not I would not want to get it the guys way that bent it!

Attachments

MSchreiber

Subscriber
I believe alot of the bent handle wrenches were made that way to clear another wrench when backing up.

heres a big lowell "sandhog" ratchet i have. note the bend.

---------- Post added at 02:44:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41:26 PM ----------

1924-47
Dating williams logos here. http://alloy-artifacts.org/williams-supercompany.html

---------- Post added at 02:59:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44:13 PM ----------

This is my BIG wrench. It is 41” long and has a 5” opening. I don’t think it is a Williams, the only marking I see is 8287 cast in the handle. I don’t know how much it weighs but it feels like a hundred pounds! The handle also has a slight bend, it must have been made that way, if not I would not want to get it the guys way that bent it!
That 8287 number reminds me of a Case traction engine part number tool. No "eagle on globe" u can tell?

I'm no tool expert, there're some here,
Missouri valley wrench club,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mvwcnews
here, http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php
and here, https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

MSchreiber

Subscriber
I'm down to needing 6 wrenches to make the old board correct and full. Need 1,7,8,35,733 and 994. Only found 2 "in the wild" at swapmeets and engine shows. Most come from ebay.... and thats a PIA when Williams wrench sellers don't put p/n in the title. With my injury last summer didn't get much done on the reproduction board either.
Williams oval logo used 1914 to 1924.

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
I love the original display boards and thank you guys for sharing.

I consider myself a tool user, sometimes abuser, not a collector. Yet I love to use old tools. I have quite a few Williams larger wrenches in my tool boxes handed down from an Uncle. I even have a Williams Chain tong about 5' overall in the barns somewhere. I have it and a shorter (4' Atlas, I think) and I hope I never have to use either again. Heck, I don't even want to lift them.

I remember some of the tool display boards from hardware stores, supply houses, ect. In my dimming memory, I remember some were tin clad wooden backed with pins to display tools. Some had some really neat art work. There was an oilfield supply house or two in Abilene, Texas back in the 70's that had several still hanging. One was on Treadway street as I charge my brain cells. My daughters say I like old smelly, rusty stuff because I am old and probably smelly too.

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
I closed the earlier post and then had a brain hiccup. JH Williams still makes some great tools today and I purchased a few like reversible wratcheting box end combinations and I am more than happy. I understand they are owned by Snap On now. Some of their industrial wrenches are still made in large sizes.

My 24 year old grand son is an A&P mechanic. He started in high school and with his apprentice hours had his certs or license by age 21 and is lead mechanic in a large shop today. He grew up with his father's and my tools and they are very integrated, not brand specific or loyalty to a name. I always advised him to not become tied to the tool trucks that many young techs use to build theirs toolboxes and inventory. He has bought many Williams tools and makes an above average income, great for a 24 year old, with those tools. About 60% of his tools are from JH Williams.

Below is a link to a tool source for Williams that is tied to the factory. They sell many of the Snap On industrial brands. I have been happy with their service and pricing in the past.

https://www.toolsdelivered.com

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Its 90" tall, 24" wide, 2.5" thick. I'm using the wrench list from this 1916 illustration to refill the board.

williams oval logo part numbers i'm looking for.

725b

675b
677b
681b
683b
663e
663g
665e
666e
661d
661e
661f
662f
spark plug wrench, 993 or 993a or 994
That's really neat how in the world did you find such a thing?
And I presume that you are familiar with the website "alloy artifacts"? I can't even walk past a box of Rusty wrenches without reading the brand names on them.

DwayneClark

Registered
I was very disappointed to discover that the new Williams wrenches are made in Taiwan. I have used in the past large Williams wrenches that we used a crane to pull. The wrenches were probably about 4 1/2” span.