• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

My New PE-197

SPBiker

Registered
Just picked up this 1944 PE-197 generator from fellow member yellowlister. I plan on restoring it back to its 1944 glory. I would like to keep as much of the original OD paint as possible. But obviously I will have to repaint the shroud that goes over the engine and Generator. I plan on taking off the bracket that holds the battery and fuel tank. As you can see there is some Rust where the fuel tank sat. Luckily it did not rust the fuel tank at all.

Right now I have the fuel pump taking off to rebuild it. Turns out these are the same fuel pumps that were used on the World War II Jeeps. I took the starter off and cleaned the Bendix shaft and reinstalled it. I might give it a bath later on in the week to get some of the grease off.

I haven't tried starting it since I brought it to its new home. But I did manage to get it started today. It ran great although the engine wasn't idling at a constant RPM. The governor kept throttling the engine up. Might have to adjust the governor or clean the carburetor. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Here is a video of the engine running and a few photos I snapped today.

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: My new PE-197

That's really neat! Love the radiator configuration.

Sounds like a clogged idle circuit in the carburetor to me.

SPBiker

Registered

That's really neat! Love the radiator configuration.

Sounds like a clogged idle circuit in the carburetor to me.
Thanks Vanman. The radiator setup is definitely cool. I think I will go out and buy a can of carburetor cleaner and remove the carb later this week and clean it out.

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019

Ran fine last time I ran it lol..can't remember when that was.. did you tighten the fuel bowl? I left it somewhat lose to let any fuel vapors out.. make sure you drain the fuel and carefully dry the float

SPBiker

Registered

Ran fine last time I ran it lol..can't remember when that was.. did you tighten the fuel bowl? I left it somewhat lose to let any fuel vapors out.. make sure you drain the fuel and carefully dry the float
I removed and disassembled the carb today and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I was also able to find an original set of float bowl gaskets. I also rebuilt the fuel pump today with a new diaphragm. Probably going to reinstall the stuff tomorrow and give it a try.

SPBiker

Registered

Today I cleaned the fuel tank out with some CLR and split washers to work as an abrasive and boy does it look new on the inside. I reinstalled the fuel pump and carb and ran the genny for about 20 min with no issues.

Does anybody know how the electronic choke works? Does it only work when you use the battery start?

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019

It's both.. has a pull cable knob on the front.. I can't remember if it's electric or if it works from the heat from the manifold. It is a bimetal spring that pulls it in.. I remember I had mess with it a bit.. I'm sure it needs some attetion after 60 years

Sounds really good.. glad it went to a good home. When are you going to load test it?

SPBiker

Registered

I will probaby do a load test on monday while Im working. We'll see how long I can run it before it pisses someone off.

Got another video of it running after the little tune-up
Its a fun little generator to run
https://youtu.be/CRDCFpAoeUY

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019

I should of said I watched your new video.. and it sounds really good.. what are you going to do with the other one?

SPBiker

Registered

I should of said I watched your new video.. and it sounds really good.. what are you going to do with the other one?
The M5 now belongs to the museum I work at. Im going to be restoring it as well, it will then go on display with our Bofors 40mm antiaircraft gun. Once I start tearing into that one ill start another thread

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019

Cool! I forgot I had a original copied book for it.. and I found the old restate that was in it. If you ever come up this way or I that I'll bring it.. or I can mail it to you. when I could not get it to make voltage I thought it may of been shorted and another one came with it that I installed.. I could only get 3.4vac even though it was getting 6vdc to saturate the windings

SPBiker

Registered

I was able to find the manual online for the M5. As for the voltage issue, I'm sure I could figure it out. We have a lot of knowledgeable old farts down here where I work

SPBiker

Registered

Im looking to change back to the original shielded spark plugs and wires. I was wondering if I could use the shielded plug wires from a M151 Mutt (vietnam era jeep). My two concerns are, will the 24v wires from the jeep work with the 6v system on the generator? And the other concern is I dont know if the jeep wires will fit onto the generator magneto.

Amax

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2016

I love that thing. It is a folded up PE-95. Fantastic! Good luck with it. :)

SPBiker

Registered

Thanks Amax, it is a pretty cool generator. It has a Hercules ZXB instead of the Jeep engine inside the PE-95

macjeeper

Registered

None of my PE-197 Generators have the instructions to operate on the exhaust door or on the battery door, but I do have photo's to send you later.
Can't right now, have USAF reserve duty today, got to go in a few.
Mac