• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

my old Sears catalog tractor kit

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
I was flipping through a 1934 Sears catalog the other day. Was surprised how much farm equipment was advertised in it. This tractor kit was an interesting find.

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
It was my undertanding talking to old timers that the 1's used on a Model T chassis tended to run hot alot because they did not go fast enough for the thermosyphon cooling to work as it was designed for the car moving along with alot of air going thru the radiator.
There was the Pull Ford kit to.

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
Low air flow and with the engine tilted as it was, putting the heat source near the level of the top radiator hose. Circulation just wasn't adequate. Perhaps mounting the radiator a little higher would have helped.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
sears was the amazon of its day they sold everything and I mean everything including houses....:D
Yea,you would have thought modern times would be their hey day instead of their dimise.Really odd how that company made so much money being a mail order store and now that everything has went mail order including wives,it failed. :bonk:

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
That is exactly what I was going to say. Sears should have been way, way in front of amazon, but did not keep up with the times.

Bud Tierney

Registered
(1) I think keeping up with the times worked well for a time---better roads, easier, cheaper, quicker transportation (cars), concentration of population in cities made rural mail order a diminishing business, so they moved to big box retail to be modern at that time, but fell by the wayside recently...catalogs discontinued in 70s???
(2) on the tractor kits, was going thru something here the other day (downsizing again) and THINK I saw an IH Co ad for a tractor kit for a Ford car or maybe truck, and now can't recall where/in what it was now...sound familiar to anyone, IH selling tractor kits???