• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Mystery Diesel Engine Help Needed

Sonny Reese

Registered
I need to get a fuel transfer pump for this engine in my chipper and the numbers are leading no where, so I need ideas!!!
all I can get off tag back up in top left rear corner of air duct is:
1054 U
80 hp
May be another number above this tag with a number, but heavy paint covering it , so cant read it yet.

Thought it was Deutz 4 cylinder, but no such number from Deutz! Got any ideas! I really need this chipper going right now so I can do a big job with it!--fuel transfer pump got weak and quit, stopping the engine dead in the water!
Thanks a million for any ideas you might have!! thanks; sonny

Sonny Reese

Registered
Chipper has no tags anywhere that I can find.-- It looks like old vermeer , but they say that they never used air cooled diesel engines, so that's another mystery!--Looks factory, but it could have been re-powered I guess!--still lookin'!
Fuel pump has BCD---made in Italy stamped on it and looks bout like the ole 292 gm engine pump. thanks; sonny

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
How about disconnecting the dead engine lift pump and hooking up an electric pump to push juice from the tank to the injection pump.

moteurdelco

Registered
it is a VM MOTORI serie 105 (1052,1053,1054,1056). I dont remember if this serie was later or earlier than the 2-105,3-105,etc.
in Canada they were distibuted by DETROIT DIESEL ALLISON.

enginenut2

Registered
This suggestion is just a W.A.G. but seeing the banjo fittings , like Deutz,on the lift pump makes me remember how some European engines hid a fine filter screen in banjo fittings and in the case of deutz under a small cover plate on top of the pump.If you didn't read the manual you probably wouldn't expect them to be there. They were obviously intended to be inspected and cleaned often--like valve adjustment-often. Many of these engines, as good as they are, were not friendly to the average American way of scheduling maintenance and they acquired a bed reputation by the not so caring user.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Looks like a Deutz air diesel with that shrouding and push rod tubes. Actually it is a V M Motori as the shroud is on the injector pump side on a Deutz I believe??

Last edited:

dependable

Registered
That is one vintage chipper,, in nice shape. Almost looks like an Asplunde "wisper chipper" not that they were quiet. Have not used a drum style one like that since early 90's.

Sonny Reese

Registered
The chute is round and most pix. have square ones.--This unit runs like a banshee!--will work a crew hard feeding it! lol!!
The closest I could find was a pic. of a woodchuck chipper, similar, but not exact so still don't know.
At least now we know it must be VM motor, which is Italy made.--Banjo fittings don't hsve screens in them, checked for that,-- had pump off and diaphram worn out, no suction, so may have to go electric, as parts place can't cross a mech. pump to it. thanks; sonny

Sonny Reese

Registered
Had to rig a temporary fuel tank, and install an electric fuel pump to get the engine to go, since I can't get parts for Italy made engine here! thanks; sonny

kwfiggatt

Registered
I found a website of a fuel pump mfgr in Slovenia that lists pumps for VM Motori engines. Here's the link --> ptz pumps

Although I didn't find a pump specifically for the 1054U engine, they list one for a 2,3,4 cyl engine, their part number 6217. Here's the link --> https://www.ptzfuelpump.com/en/fuel-pumps/mechanical/tractors-machinery/fuel-pumps/pn-6217

You might drop them an email and see if they have one for your application. If nothing else, you can compare yours with the pics of the ones they list on their website and probably find a match. I'm sure they could ship worldwide.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

I found a website of a fuel pump mfgr in Slovenia that lists pumps for VM Motori engines. Here's the link --> ptz pumps

Although I didn't find a pump specifically for the 1054U engine, they list one for a 2,3,4 cyl engine, their part number 6217. Here's the link --> https://www.ptzfuelpump.com/en/fuel-pumps/mechanical/tractors-machinery/fuel-pumps/pn-6217

You might drop them an email and see if they have one for your application. If nothing else, you can compare yours with the pics of the ones they list on their website and probably find a match. I'm sure they could ship worldwide.

Hope this helps.

Kevin