• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

N.A.M.E.S. 2010 Exposition April 24-25

PTSideshow

Registered
Here is the current update

Here is the hall A Denude of ice and rink walls, from the second floor balcony.

This shot is of the big news the rink management decided to take down the part of the wall and penalty box, in front of the back entry and exit to the dinning room and the smaller vendors area. In the past they always left it up and it has caused a traffic bottle neck in that area.

The exhibitors tables that were in this area, will be moved to the walkway area that was the path to get here. This will make it a lot easier. Than any of the previous years.

Also anybody that is local and has some free time on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and would like to volunteer to help with the set up feel free to come on down to the arena about 9:30 10:am
:D

PTSideshow

Registered

Day one of set up
Setting up the overheard air, and electric supply, wire rope hung between the arena uprights. Divider down the center of vendors row. And sorting air lines

PTSideshow

Registered
Set up day two

Blue covered tables are the exhibitors, and the red covered tables are the vendors.

This is the thruway to and from the small vendors area, this area in the past. Was the cause of a lot of complaints, it shouldn't be a problem any more.

Looking at the vendors row from the North end.

PTSideshow

Registered
Day three of the set up

Looking down toward the back end of the hall/Rink B

Looking to the south end towards the registration tables

Floor level looking towards the back or North end, all the piping and air lines are in and reworked from the change from Toledo layout.

PTSideshow

Registered
Day Four set up

From the balcony looking North

Southgate Fire Marshall, making his first visit to this years show, as there is a Fire Marshall on duty each day of the week the others will be making a daily visit

The small vendors hall, the wall in the background will be open and more vendors after Friday night, there is a fundraiser for some group in there on Friday night.

PTSideshow

Registered
Here is the cover of the program and the vendors list along with the show schedules Of course all subject to change from Volcanoes and mother nature or man made disasters!;)

You can use the map at the start of this thread for locations

PTSideshow

Registered
At the show when not actively engaged in doing work, I will be under this hat,a standard top hat.

That is if the kitten doesn't eat the sign first ;)

PTSideshow

Registered

Put to bed for the night.

two of the dealers in the small hall.

Looks to be shaping up as a great show. Lots of great looking projects,and since it has been a long day. And I'm beat I will leave you with a tease.

Gary Davison's SNOW

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
Last Subscription Date
12/18/2019
That Winchester 1866 is a real eye catcher! Besides the fantastic workmanship, that's some fabulous walnut for the stock!

PTSideshow

Registered

Sunday morning shortly after opening, Total combined attendance of exhibitors,vendors, people from NAMES group and paying guests was in the neighborhood of 3,000. This was the 21st year it is the first, oldest, and largest running model engineering show in the US. The founders took a trip to England and saw a couple of their model and steam shows. and came back and started one here.
I know their are some say that it isn't the largest, but it doesn't have an auction hooked to it as another large shows does and that one is a for profit company. As the North American Model Engineers Society is a Michigan Non Profit Corporation.

The biggest problem we have is that as the exhibitors get older, they tend to leave on Saturday afternoon. so they can drive in more day light. It is something that I don't think will ever be solved.

This is the arena at 6:30pm, some many people leave by 3pm that a lot of the small type busy work of pick up the wood card holders, and other stuff can start. Problem yesterday was the guy that drives the equipment for the city, has to service the operating ice rink for the figure skating ladies next to this arena so we had to wait for him to bring the trailers back in. Before we could unload the stuff to re store the hoses, cords and all the piping. till next year. We got out of there at 10:10pm and I was home by 11:00pm and dragging the seat cushion to bed!

A number of members, of the assorted forums showed up and seemed to be pleased with the shows etc And it is always a pleasure to meet and greet!

Some stayed and helped with the show Clutch and a number of members of the forum. Johnny D drove up from Fla for it. And a couple of other people also drove some distance. To Weston Bye and the others members that showed up and exhibited Thanks! George, and Craig were there and had the village presses wares and I know that there were other members there and I might not have seen. I hope you enjoyed the show.

And to the rumor mongers and others that it just drives them crazier or stupider than they all ready are.

And a special one to the party, that contacted me from another forum and user name about what I was posting about the show. And I had no guts to use my real name so you tell me in person at the show how it sucked! I was as promised easy to find at the show all three days. As I had posted I was in plain view under the top hat with the sign. And you didn't have the equipment to come to a face to face! If you were even at the show.

And to ever was emailing the the notices that the show was canceled on Friday morning it didn't work. I got one of the emails.

All I can say is, the line from the movie the Holy Grail; "I fart in your general direction!"

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
Glenn, as for staying longer..... We packed up Saturday night and when we are older we will be retired and will stay all day Sunday as well. We drove 670 miles home on Sunday! If I did not need to be at work Monday Morning I would have been happy to stay longer.

Gil

PTSideshow

Registered
Gil I understand that, it's just some people have sent in suggestions that NAMES force the people to stay :shrug: And the #1 reason is that they have night driving problems (older eyes). If their wife is with them, it may be a case that she wants to get home to attend to her hobby interests,grandkids etc.

As the group as a whole is getting older, eye and doctor's appointments are probably the second reason they leave for home on Saturday.

That is the number one and two reasons, followed by yours. that have been stated.

I don't know what somebody would expect the group to do hold the person till 4 pm on Sunday.:crazy: After all it is a voluntary exhibition.

Most shows and exhibits have the same problem, other than when the pieces are to large to get out of the exhibit area. Like at the tractor shows.

Other than in England, which as I understand it, if the exhibitors or vendors pack up early. They aren't allowed back for a set period of time. But that is a little different set up, as most didn't run models, the stalls were of a display nature both for the clubs, and vendors. Along with some ran two weeks to a month, or did. Don't think that would work here.

Did you ever find your hat, as it never showed up at the arena or NAMES table on Sunday night.

About 10 pm Sunday I was wishing I left on Saturday :D

gbritnell

Registered
I am very thankful for all the work that you fellows put into setting up and running the show. As I only have a three hour trip home I stay until there's hardly anyone left in the place.
I have been attending this show for many years and I think there was still a good variety of models on Sunday this year. Maybe they could list the show as running from 9:00 till 2:00 for the sake of the visitors. That way the exhibitors could get an early start and the visitors would see more of the models.
As you said it's hard to force anyone to stay especially when they're paying to exhibit, the cost of travel, overnight accommodations, meals etc.
It's kind of a catch 22. The word gets out from the visitors that there isn't much there on Sunday so the attendance falls off for that day and it just snowballs. I don't think the visitors realize that people come from great distances to provide a good show.
gbritnell

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
I did find my hat. Thank you ! We were nearly all unpacked at home when it surfaced among the boxes with engines.

I would have to agree that there are likely some who prefer to arrive home before dark. My Mom is one whose night vision has deteriorated over time. It's easier for me to say I'd stay until evening while I can see well (age 57).

George, it was nice to meet you and I have been following your Vee-Twin build on another board as recommended by Cedge. Seeing you and it in person was a real treat !

Gil