• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Neat old mobile carnival/circus powerplant, Cat d13000

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Chevy C60-late 60's...oh, you mean the generator? No idea...:shrug:

Ken Karrow

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Brings back a memory, truck was a GMC and late 40's or early '50's model and dad took me a traveling carnival. I wasn't interested in the rides, just wanted to listen to that Cat pulling the generator. Fasinated by the changes in the exhaust notes as the load changed. I was probably about 10 then. Ken

DieselAddicted

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Brings back a memory, truck was a GMC and late 40's or early '50's model and dad took me a traveling carnival. I wasn't interested in the rides, just wanted to listen to that Cat pulling the generator. Fasinated by the changes in the exhaust notes as the load changed. I was probably about 10 then. Ken
And you rememinded me that as a child while my sisters were riding the rides at the county fair I would stand beside the little Allis-Chalmers B power units doing the same thing, listening to them taking up and releasing the loads and watching the governor arms working. Motor heads at a young age eh? LOL

K D Redd

In Memory Of
I also remember a traveling carnival, late 50's, with a ferris wheel power by an Allis B/C power unit. I was there when the operator paid a local to go to a local gas station to buy five gallons of gasoline to keep the wheel turning.

Kent

Rustynuts

Registered
You mentioned the "trucks gas engine was removed and a 50hp electric motor installed".

I think you are saying, the Chevy truck is driven with an electric motor.

Am I right in that? Can you show some pics of that motor, if that is what is driving the truck?

Thank You

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Back in the 70's, there was a carnival in town that had a semi trailer with 2 8V-71 Detroits powering the generators. Cool part was, every piece that could be removed from those engines was chromed-valve covers, filter cans, water pipes, you name it-& those babies were running good-my wife couldn't see the attraction, I wanted to just stand & listen...:crazy:

Dirk Jr

Registered
Back in the 70's, there was a carnival in town that had a semi trailer with 2 8V-71 Detroits powering the generators. Cool part was, every piece that could be removed from those engines was chromed-valve covers, filter cans, water pipes, you name it-& those babies were running good-my wife couldn't see the attraction, I wanted to just stand & listen...:crazy:
Detroit's in stereo.:D:cool:

oldsdroptop

Registered
that thing is kewl....it's certainly 1 of a kind......like to see some close up pics of that CAT engine.....I have a D315 with a 40KW on it....here are some pics of it....you have a great collectable there for sure.....good luck with it......David

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wonder if that big Cat got better highway mileage than the gas engine? I bet you needed to be ready to go when you threw the switch...:eek:

Rex Piekarczyk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/30/2019
I would stand beside the little Allis-Chalmers B power units doing the same thing, listening to them taking up and releasing the loads and watching the governor arms working. Motor heads at a young age eh? LOL
I was probably @ 7 years old watching the Scrambler operator slowly engaging the 4 foot long clutch handle on a gas power unit, and when released, the backfire flames from the pipe.

35 years later I went to look at buying a '37WC. As soon as that motor barked I was instantly back at that carnival.

Still have that WC, just for trips back to summer 1967.

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
I was probably @ 7 years old watching the Scrambler operator slowly engaging the 4 foot long clutch handle on a gas power unit, and when released, the backfire flames from the pipe.

QUOTE]

Yeah, nothing worked those little AC model B engines like the Scrambler did! I think I rode those rides more to listen to the engine than what the actual ride did for me. Carnivals just aren't the same today.:(

magneticanomaly

Registered
I'm not sure what the OP's actual question was, but I have a D-13000 powering a 100KW generator, which I was told was made in 1942, originally an aux generator in a navy vessel.

BTurney

Registered
Can anyone help with manufacture? the trucks gasengine was removed and a 50hp electric motor installed.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88676&d=1285599076
Wow I think that vehicle is setting across the road from me and I helped start it for the first time in years and years a couple months back.

History has it a carnival opperator needed a gen set and non were available but the cat dealer had this mounted unit on the lot so they bought it. the motor went out and his forman being mechanically inclined and cheaply entertained installed the 40hp electric motor. I guess it would do about 40-45 on a flat straight away but it was a big load. It has a standard automotive clutch and no reostat as far as we can tell to reduce the electric motors torque,speed or power. all the torque it is not suprizeing that the shaft in the manual transmission is twisted off. It now belongs to steven lippholdt and (probably)will be operating at the 2011 ANTIQUECATERPILLAR.net spring fling project site north of Wellington Ks as a power source for the operator/vistors campers at the Dam site.

Brian

the engine is a D13000 same as 40's-50's D8 engines.

Notice the large whole stiched shut with dozens of bolts and a steel plate just between the radiator and starting engine.... Can someone say catastrophic failure at some point in time

see newer threads for update

http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/ACF_v2/showthread.php?t=18348

the following two urls are partial updates in sept to the genset officially named "louise"

http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/ACF_v2/showthread.php?t=18348

http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/ACF_v2/showthread.php?t=18223

there is one more current one but I have failed to find it

DLeach

Registered
Boy, has this brought back memories. I remember as a boy going on the lots when they were starting up the generators. Big old cats with a gasoline pony motor as the starter. Sure was a thing hearing them come to life.