• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Need 6.5 KW Kohler advice, damaged brush holder.

Kenny Crenshaw

Registered
I am still working on my 6.5 KW Kohler 4 cylinder gasoline L600. It looks like sometime in the past, and likely the event that sidelined this generator, was a 120 volt AC brush that hung and burned, or burned and hung, or overheated, or something that destroyed the brush, the brush tension spring, and the radio suppression capacitor. Thanks to Ebay, I found a new brush and a new tension spring. But, the brush holder is bent, rubbed and worn, and also cracked. I need to either repair the holder, or find a new one. Finding a new one could mean a whole new brush holder assembly, Kohler B-242238, because the brush holders are rivetted on. Repairing it may mean fashioning a new one out of copper, or silver soldering a patch on the burned one. I've included a photo of a good brush assembly as well as the damaged one.

Any ideas?

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Those are very good photos.

In photo #1, of the good brush holder, it can be seen that the fiber brush rigging disc is cracked where that terminal is. Could probably repair that with some type of adhesive, I'd think. Maybe even just run some super glue into the crack.

For the damaged brush holder, I would tend to think that filling in the crack with braze and then filing it down to the correct dimensions might be a good option. :shrug:

It isn't super critical. It needs to generally hold the brush in position, but by no means be tight. And of course it does not ordinarily carry any significant current, the vast majority passing through the pigtail instead.

Zephyr7

Registered
Make sure to clean the crack in that fiber disc really well before gluing, it’s probably full of dust which will make for a weak glue bond. I’d blast it with canned air, then use some isopropyl alcohol to get any oily residue. Once that dries, use some thin glue that will wick into the crack by capillary action. A thin acrylic adhesive like superglue would probably work well. If you can’t glue that disc well enough, it wouldn’t be too difficult to fabricate a new one from either type XX phenolic sheet (which will look correct in a restoration job), or G10 sheet (much stronger, but it is a greenish white color and won’t look right). Glastic would work too but is normally bright red.

The big rusty nut looks cracked too. Probably best to just replace that.

I agree about brazing that brush holder. You could probably use silfoss (special silver brazing rod) too.

Bill

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Kenny I didn't know you were over here also. If anyone can help you these guys can.

jack0

Registered
I would think you could repair the holder pretty easily when its off the disc.
I had some loose rivets which I replaced with 6-32 brass fasteners.
The rivets on mine were brass and were hollow. I used a small file on the other side of the disc to free the rivets.

I believe the rivets for that brush holder go straight through the disc and do not support any commutator brush holders, which will make the job easier.

Happy new year.

Zephyr7

Registered
If you replace rivets with brass screws, make sure to use locking hardware so the vibration doesn’t work them loose. I’d use a stainless steel nylock (I don’t think you can get them in brass). Rivets have the advantage of being pretty much vibration proof.

If you want to use a brass nut, threadlocker will work, use loctite red since you’ll have a very small amount of thread in a small fastener so not much area for the loctite to stick to.

Bill

nblack

Registered
Or, find another donor unit, and swap out the brush holders.... keep the rest for parts. Did you try Wavetop Technology, and talk to Jim? He is a great guy. :brows:

Kenny Crenshaw

Registered
I talked to Jim weeks ago, but I cannot remember why we could not get together. Seems like he would not call or email, so I bought a bunch of parts from another vendor.

nblack

Registered
Jim can be hard to reach at times. Seems like several years ago there was some family issues/stretch of a single body to accomplish, but once attained, was golden.IIRC, there is only himself, and his cat!:D