• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Need Help Identifying Military Generator/Welder

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Need help identifying military generator/welder

That is out of a military semi trailer mobile machine shop, thats about all I can tell you, other than I have one that needs to be yanked out and a new home.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Wow, that thing is COOL! :D

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

White/Hercules 4cyl gasoline with updraft carb iirc, I've only seen inside engine compartment once, maybe twice, as its mounted on tongue of trailer, and base of the unit is about 6' high, with side panels that flip upward.

If anyone in Texas wants one, let me know.

Wayne 440

Registered

The 5th picture shows a rating plate for a D298ER- a 6 cylinder diesel, IF I'm recalling correctly

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

The 5th picture shows a rating plate for a D298ER- a 6 cylinder diesel, IF I'm recalling correctly
Either he has a different/newer machine, or I put file# 810,638,732 in the wrong place:D. Its been over 10 years since I looked into engine compartment, brain keeps telling me 4 cyl gas, always thought swapping in a diesel would be the way to go, tried pulling the unit a couple weeks ago, seems there is at least 2 more bolts to pull.

Looking at tags in pics above got me wondering, I always knew there was a provision for plugging into shore power, but had not considered the motor/generator, so is there another generator connected to motor, or some type of clutch and "motor" becomes the AC generator?

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
scooter that one has a magneto so it is gasoline, typical military plug wires too. The military wanted everything as near waterproof as possible. that may not be a mag now that i think about it, may just be shaped like a mag the jeeps looked close and had the coil inside the cap!

anybody know where i can get the glass for fuel filter replacement this one and the fuel pump are the same housing and the pump still works thanks

nblack

Registered
see if you can get the number on the side of the fuel pump. It may be stamped on the flange where it meets the block, or it might even be on an easy exposed area. Then, cross the number, or call then Then and Now automotive up in Mass, and they may be able to help you. Also, you MIGHT just get lucky taking the bowl to your local CO-OP, or TSC and they might have a match:brows:
Oh! just thought of this. NAPA. they sometimes have the arcane stuff we need. Just need a guy at the counter with grey hair. Or, No hair like me. :D

so im struggling with identifying the carb it has no marking and all was well until i added a muffler to quit her down now wont idle or it floods. any help would be appreciated thanks

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
That is a Schebler. Make sure you remove the main jet assembly from the bottom of the bowl before attempting to remove the bowl from the body, and if you're trying to dissassemble, and it doesn't want to come apart, DO NOT FORCE IT. Oftentimes, the jet, or an emulsion tube, or something like that needs to be pulled out before they can slide apart.

Also, when you separate the body, there's a venturi ring in there, and they're fragile, so diassemble gently, and treat it like an egg.

There's not much that can go wrong with these carbs that a good scrubbing and a gasket set can't fix. The floats CAN develop leaks, and I've used solder on the ones I couldn't get replacements for (fast enough).

Yes, that IS a magneto... and it has an integral impulser mechanism.

The transfer switch DOES have provision for shore-power, it was used mostly for when the moble workshop truck was parked in a depot where base power was available. Didn't matter if it the base power was a bigger base-wide mobile station, or from a ship umbilical, or what, it was simply so that the workshop's fuel supply wasn't constantly needing refreshed AND wasn't under the constant rumble of the engine and commensurate exhaust gases. Usually, shore power provided enough to run lighting, compressor, lathe, mill, and grinder, and hand tools, but not enough to weld... that required starting the engine.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
It's worth a whole lot more if it's running and generating, but the baseline is very abitrary, and dependant upon it's location, transportation, loading, etc.

Generators are like firemen, soldiers, and lawyers- when you don't need them, they're too expensive.

When you're in an ice storm, all the lines are down, and your house is getting cold, or there's a hurricane parked above you and you're doing everything to keep the water out of your basement, a good, strong generator is nothing short of priceless.

All prices start by calculating scrap value, then go up from there. This is a serious, industrial-strength machine- it's no sissy in terms of output, or duty cycle, or durability, or maintainability... once you have it set up right, and maintained, you will NOT be able to hurt it... and while it may not have the whiz-bang microprocessor controls, no NEW machine less than $60k will be able to match it's performance...

And it will NOT be rendered unuseable by a casual EMP... and it will NOT be rendered unuseable by a dead battery... magneto and a crank is all it needs.