• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Need help identifying this engine?

K-Tron

Registered
What you have is a Johnson Iron Horse. I believe it is an X501 model engine with the diagonal cylinder head fins and the lever start.

Chris

Tbirddillon

Registered
Thank you, it's missing the original sheet metal and I haven't found any serial numbers yet other than 1 on the intake. Do these have any collector value?

K-Tron

Registered
I am surprised that nobody else has chimed in yet. I personally do not have any Johnson Iron Horse engines in my collection. For whatever reason they have evaded me. I think the only valuable Johnson Iron Horse engines were those on the Blue Diamond 300 watt generators. You certainly will not get rich selling one, but it will be a fun project. I am curious what yours powered with that interesting intake setup.

Chris

EvilDr235

Registered
Yes that is a Johnson Iron Horse engine. I have 5 at the moment. 4 were made in Canada and 1 made in the U.S. I believe most of those engines were made in Canada. My U.S. made engine has a float type of carb and and Canada made ones has a suction type carb. I have seen people selling new gaskets for them on eBay quite often and used parts once in a while. My U.S. made one has a oval shaped fuel tank mounted on the engine and the Canada built ones have a remote fuel tank. Some people collect them like anything else. My 5 might be considered a collection by some. I think are neat looking and could be adapted to a mini bike or even a bicycle very easily. Mine are inline waiting to be run. Last week I was getting several Clinton engines running and this weeks it has been Briggs engines. My U.S. built engine is a X515 model. I have seen several lists of the different models. None of them listed the model X515 engine that I have. My guess is that list was for Canadian built engines. I have heard that when they quit building the U.S. built engines, all the factory records were destroyed. One of my engines was either a lever or kick start and the other 4 were pull rope start. last time I checked there was at least 1 video on YouTube about Johnson Iron Horse engines.

Last edited:

Bill Prior

Registered
X 501's did not come with a suction carb. or a hand start. It is a 400 series engine. With out a tag I would say it was a X462, X463 or X467 Canadian engine from a Bob-a-Lawn lawnmower. It has a air cleaner from a Evinrude Lawn Boy U.S. lawn mower. If it was a Evinrude mower engine it should have a "straight-up" hand starter.