• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Need help identifying this engine?

K-Tron

Registered
What you have is a Johnson Iron Horse. I believe it is an X501 model engine with the diagonal cylinder head fins and the lever start.

Chris

Tbirddillon

Registered
Thank you, it's missing the original sheet metal and I haven't found any serial numbers yet other than 1 on the intake. Do these have any collector value?

K-Tron

Registered
I am surprised that nobody else has chimed in yet. I personally do not have any Johnson Iron Horse engines in my collection. For whatever reason they have evaded me. I think the only valuable Johnson Iron Horse engines were those on the Blue Diamond 300 watt generators. You certainly will not get rich selling one, but it will be a fun project. I am curious what yours powered with that interesting intake setup.

Chris

EvilDr235

Registered
Yes that is a Johnson Iron Horse engine. I have 5 at the moment. 4 were made in Canada and 1 made in the U.S. I believe most of those engines were made in Canada. My U.S. made engine has a float type of carb and and Canada made ones has a suction type carb. I have seen people selling new gaskets for them on eBay quite often and used parts once in a while. My U.S. made one has a oval shaped fuel tank mounted on the engine and the Canada built ones have a remote fuel tank. Some people collect them like anything else. My 5 might be considered a collection by some. I think are neat looking and could be adapted to a mini bike or even a bicycle very easily. Mine are inline waiting to be run. Last week I was getting several Clinton engines running and this weeks it has been Briggs engines. My U.S. built engine is a X515 model. I have seen several lists of the different models. None of them listed the model X515 engine that I have. My guess is that list was for Canadian built engines. I have heard that when they quit building the U.S. built engines, all the factory records were destroyed. One of my engines was either a lever or kick start and the other 4 were pull rope start. last time I checked there was at least 1 video on YouTube about Johnson Iron Horse engines.

Last edited:

Bill Prior

Registered
X 501's did not come with a suction carb. or a hand start. It is a 400 series engine. With out a tag I would say it was a X462, X463 or X467 Canadian engine from a Bob-a-Lawn lawnmower. It has a air cleaner from a Evinrude Lawn Boy U.S. lawn mower. If it was a Evinrude mower engine it should have a "straight-up" hand starter.