• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Need help to ID Generator

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018
This generator was on a 6 hp Petter AVA1T NO.3129011 diesel. It has 4 slip rings and a wide commutator with 2 rows of 4 brushes placed all the way around and staggered.

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Re: Need help to ID generator

Looks like four pole, so 1800 rpm for 60 cycles.

Commutator means self excited, and possibly exciter cranked as well.

Four collector rings could mean single phase reconnectable between 120 or 120/240, OR, 120/208, three phase, OR 120/240, three phase. :shrug:. Or for that matter 277/480, or almost anything else.

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018

Thanks for the replies. It does have the name Stamford on the plate of the whole unit, and dose crank when I put 24 volts to the solenoid in the control box but gen wouldn't put out any power. I would like to find a wiring diagram.

Attachments

BHoward

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/04/2018

Thank Allan for the links. One of those gens looks like it's from the same manufacturer but a different model. Here of what I assume is a voltage regulator and one of the wires was broken off the pull-down coil. There was a broken spring on one of the slip ring brushes. A friend gave me this set more than 20 years ago and I got it running, used it to build a house then it quit making power. Then I left with another friend to have a look at. He covered it with a tarp and there it sat for 20 years. I even forgot I had it. So now after being on Smokstak for a few years, I thought I'd take a look at it

Attachments