• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

NEED HELP with a Wisconsin pto with no tag on unit

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Restoring a 1978 Wisconsin Ditch Witch M 422 with a Wisconsin AGND. I took the plate off where the clutch is adjusted. I saw some water standing inside the pto and everything is rusted up. But the clutch still snaps in and out. Need to to split the pto to see what kind of water damage has been done.
I have taken all the bolts out of the pto to split the cases. But the cases will not separate. Looks like the case won't come apart cause of the 2 guide pins - one at the top and one at the bottom Wondering what is the best way of getting the the outer half of the case to come loose from the 2 guide pins. So I can take the pto apart.
The bad thing is I have no information about the pto. All I know that it is about a 1978 Wisconsin made the pto . The serial number for the Ditch Witch M 422 is a 1978 machine.
Posted a pic of where the clutch is adjusted. I posted a pic of the 5 gal bucket of Evapo-Rust Remover. I used some Evapo-Rust Remover (that I had used on some other rusted stuff) in pto for a couple of days. I also posted a pic of what it looked like when I drained the used Evapo-Rust Remover to put in the new rust remover. When I got a new 5 gal bucket of Evapo-Rust Remover. Then I drained the older used Evapo-Rust remover out of pto and refilled pto full of new Evapo-Rust Remover. But the pto didn't stay full cause I had tried to split the cases. By driving couple flat tip screw drive to split the cases. It dripped out the bottom. So I caught the Evapo-Rust Remover in a fairly clean drain pan and refilled the pto.
Any help would be GREAT!!!!

Charlie

Attachments

Last edited:

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Restoring a 1978 Wisconsin Ditch Witch M 422 with a Wisconsin AGND. I took the plate off where the clutch is adjusted. I saw some water standing inside the pto and everything is rusted up. But the clutch still snaps in and out. Need to to split the pto to see what kind of water damage has been done.
I have taken all the bolts out of the pto to split the cases. But the cases will not separate. Looks like the case won't come apart cause of the 2 guide pins - one at the top and one at the bottom Wondering what is the best way of getting the the outer half of the case to come loose from the 2 guide pins. So I can take the pto apart.
The bad thing is I have no information about the pto. All I know that it is about a 1978 Wisconsin made the pto . The serial number for the Ditch Witch M 422 is a 1978 machine.
Posted a pic of where the clutch is adjusted. I posted a pic of the 5 gal bucket of Evapo-Rust Remover. I used some Evapo-Rust Remover (that I had used on some other rusted stuff) in pto for a couple of days. I also posted a pic of what it looked like when I drained the used Evapo-Rust Remover to put in the new rust remover. When I got a new 5 gal bucket of Evapo-Rust Remover. Then I drained the older used Evapo-Rust remover out of pto and refilled pto full of new Avapo-Rust Remover. But the pto didn't stay full cause I had tried to split the cases. By driving couple flat tip screw drive to split the cases. It dripped out the bottom. So I caught the Avapo-Rust Remover in a fairly clean drain pan and refilled the pto.
Any help would be GREAT!!!!

Charlie
Have you gotten the case to split at all? If not, use a hammer and a hammer and chisel to move the case off the dowels. Some of the clutches, you have to remove the shaft so the fork will move far enough to get the case off.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Charlie: Click on this link: https://www.m-and-d.com/Wisconsin-Engine-Parts.html

At the top of the page you will see "Engines". Scroll down and you will see "Options and Accessories"

Click on that and you will see three headings on clutches. There are allot of pictures there which will help you to identify what model clutch you have. You might have to spend a little time, but the end result might be a big help.

I have an old Wisconsin engine that had a gear reduction on it. I wanted to use the gear reduction for another project, but was not sure what the ratio was. I did some digging at the above site and was able to identify what I had.

Good luck !!

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Thanks for sending the link to me.
If I'm not mistaking - to find the ratio of something. Mark one spot in the two shafts. Count the number of turns each shaft turns. That will tell you what ratio it is. Like 10 to 15 or 4 to 10. Think you get the idea

Charlie

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Update
First time I tried to split the cases. The cases didn't want to separate at all. And the shaft tight. After I let Evapo-Rust Remover set inside of the pto for couple days. I drained the Evapo-Rust Remover and took out the bolts the cases kinda wanted to split and the shaft would turn free. I tighten all the bolts up again. Poured in the Evapo-Rust Remover that I had drained out the pto. Let it set I. Later I tried to turn the shaft by hand again.. To my surprise the shaft turned freely. I just filled pto up to the top again and turned the shaft one way then the other way. Could see the fluid moving as I was turning the shaft in one direction - then the other direction. I did that couple of times both direction. Thinking that maybe the movement of the fluid would get to places that just setting won't get. Plus by turning the shaft one way then the other way. That should help wash the crud off and out of places to help clean the inside of the pto
Decided to try to keep the pto filled up as much as I can. Plus by turning the shaft in one direction then the other direction every so often to stir the fluid up some. Decided to do that for a couple days then drain the fluid and try to split the cases again.

Charlie

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
I had decided to use flat tip screw drivers to try to get the cases to split. Know the cases are made of Cast Iron and Cast Iron can and will either crack or break or both easy if not careful and kinda gentle with the Cast Iron.

Charlie

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Charlie, you are correct on the shaft turns method. I just wanted to try to find out the exact ratio. I found that, and then used your method to make sure I was correct. I am using an old Wisconsin engine with a 4:1 gear reduction on it as a gearbox of sorts. I will strip the engine down removing the carb, mag, even the cylinder head using the remainder to slow down an engine starting unit I am making. I could just remove the gearbox off the Wisconsin, but then I have to fabricate a bracket to mount it.

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
I kinda understand what you are wanting to do. If it was me I think I would split the motor from the pto. Then fabricate a bracket for the pto. The reason I say that is cause if you for some reason ever you want or need to rebuild the Wisconsin pto chances are you would need to pull the pto out so you can get to everything. I think it would be worth the time and trouble if the Wisconsin motor was not bolted to the pto. Like the saying goes. The more moving parts more to go wrong. but that is my idea. I also think the less things you don't really need the better it is. What would you do if the Wisconsin locks up and the Wisconsin is in the part of your your gear reduction unit. Plus if your using the Wisconsin as an adapter part and the bearing was to go get bad or lock up. To me that would be an add expense to maintain or you could or would be back to square one so to speak. I hope you can understand my point and where I'm coming from. Just trying to help a friend - you!

Charlie

Last edited:

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
I don' know what type of application you are wanting to do. I do know that the application of chain sprocket and/or v belts sheaves to change the rotation of something. Either to speed up or to slow something down.

Charlie