Need Liberty Class B WWI Truck Guru

Bud Tierney

I asked this question around in 2016 and 18---still have the question, and time's awastin'...
The Class B Liberty truck engine is ID'd in my old catalogs as a Cont'l B2 43/4x6 cast in pairs...other engine co's provided various innards...
Per a 1930 McCord gasket catalog the B2 was part of a series---B2, possibly a B4 43/4x?, B5, being another 43/4x6, and B7, a 5x6...an engine ID'd as Cont'l B2 was installed in some thirty POSTWAR vehicles up thru the mid-20s; many of those makes also used the later B5 into the mid/late 20s and the B7 up into 1930 or so...
Questions: are the postwar B2s the same as, or suitable replacements for the wartime Class B trucks being restored?? And the same for the B4, if ir exists, the B5 and B7???
After all these years this question must've been resolved, so would appreciate some contacts for the people who live and die for Class B trucks...
CRAIG: If you see this, in 16 or 18 you commented you'd worked on three Class B units,that two had Wauk engines and the third a Cont'l...the whole Army idea was to avoid differing designs...
Do your records indicate whether rhe Wauks had a regular Wauk ID tag, or if the Cont'l had a normal tag and what it said?? On the Wauks, was there any indication they were replacement engines??
Many thxx for any enlightenment...

Bud Tierney

Ahhhh....after considerable frustration Google reluctantly regurgitated libertytruck.org, who (which?) should be able to answer all my engine questions...
I knew there was a site in there somewhere...

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Sometimes we need to become our own gurus...
I had a similar experience to yours researching a pre-WWII-era ambulance.
I resorted to purchasing military yearbooks from the time and drilling military truck book authors like the late Fred Crismon.
I was informed that US Army TACOM kept records in a book called “Ordnance Acceptances”. My TACOM guy was Colonel Christmas!
I have no idea what the US War Dept’s procedures during WWI were. I was more focused on the late 1930s.
In the meantime, I think you need to contact every military museum in the country to find out who restores Liberty trucks.
Anyway, I learned a lot about how the War Department bought vehicles, bidding, militarizing civilian vehicles, etc.
eBay is your friend!
Good luck!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
https://www.tacom.army.mil/main/index.html

These folks have changed their name more than once just like the US War Department became the Defense Department.
I suspect they started post WWI but I really don’t know.
In my case the “ordnance acceptances” book listed dates of acceptances, type and make of vehicle and numbers accepted. Really helpful to ME...

Bud Tierney

Many thxx for reference; if no help from libertytruck.org will try...
Got email off today; got reply contact man on TDY, but assume inquiry will be passed on to engine experienced members...members