• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Kohler: Need some carburetor information for the L600 engine.........

I've purchased a poor, banged up Kohler with the L600 engine. I haven't picked it up yet, but the photos show no carburetor on the engine. From sources here on the forum, I've learned that the correct carb is a Tillotson YB-2A (or maybe 2B). The engine also came with a Marvel Schebler, but I can't find any sort of number for that carb.

Can anyone provide the correct model number for the Marvel Schebler? There's a bunch available on Evilbay, but most are for tractors and look to be too large. Thanks for any info! :)

jack0

Registered
The carbs for these units are pretty scarce now a days. If you are unable to find one, you could always go with a side draft style like on the L654.
Some fab. work will be required. The right throttle linkage configuration on the carb. You have to make an elbow.
Maybe a 3/4 -1/2" black iron elbow. Take the threads out of it and get it as smooth as possible. Make some flanges and a little welding. You will have to figure out some kind of air cleaner set up.

Once in awhile they come up on ebay.
There is one complete for the L654 for only $350.00. :)

Thanks jackO............Ironically, I just came to the same conclusion this evening. I've been looking at the Chinese carbs available on Ebay with the intention of making a 90* elbow. Many of them have the ball throttle linkage already, so getting it to operate with the existing governor should be pretty easy. Just have to make sure I orient the carb correctly. Hey, for fifteen bucks or so I can goof several times and still get a bargain!

jack0

Registered
Just thinking. You might try a good quality copper elbow. A good interference fit into the flanges and braze it.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
I would look more for either a carb from an IH C-60... from a Farmall Cub... or a Briggs Flo-Jet like what Noel Black recommends for the Hercules ZXB... the flange is probably the same, and the airflow rates will be right in the range...

nblack

Registered
For some reason, i'm thinking that the elbow needed is not that difficult to either create or find. I am also thinking that this engine had a Kohler carb in later models, so that might help open up the search for a compatible mixer as well. I will try to remember and take some dirty pics when I get home tonight, to see if any clarification can be made.

Sorry I didn't get back to my post sooner....had some computer issues on my end (forgot to pay the bill). Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

I considered carbs for the little Allis Chalmers "B", the IH Cub and others but the total displacement of those engines is almost twice that of the L600.

I was considering the larger Briggs Flo-Jet, as I already have one out in the shop. Now if another member managed to make it work successfully on a Hercules.......which is closer in displacement.......it should work on the L600.

My other option is an updraft carburetor designed for the Kohler 12-16 hp singles. I found such a unit on Ebay made in China, and it already has the ball shaped link on the throttle so installation should be easy. It's also made of IRON, which is a good thing. I think I'll order it, then I'll have two different carbs to try. Hey, a guy's got to get lucky once in awhile!

Now all I have to do is drive the seven hours to pick up the generator, then pull it apart to see what I've got! :)

Last edited:

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
George- the Allis B engine is about twice the size, but the IH Cub C60 is EXACTLY the same size as the L600... 60 cubic inches... 1 liter... or if you're French or grew up in Quebec between 1973 and 1995, it's 1 Litre...

Thank you dkamp, for straightening me out.........I must have confused the Cub with another engine (been looking at too many over the last few days).

I'll look into the Cub carburetors also.

nblack

Registered
OK. a couple of dirty pics. One shows a Briggs and Scrapiron Medium two-piece flo-jet (that is unmodified in the pic). The second pic shows either an L600 or L654, ( I can't remember which, and can't check right now) with its original 90' elbow, and Kohler carb. Note the geometry of the two units. I don't think the B&S carb would be a good candidate for this purpose. It would require driving the throttle plate from the other side, and while I have attempted this on my IH Lowboy, It does not work as you might think. The problem is that the throttle stop is compromised when the carb is actuated from the other side. I think that B&S MIGHT (underlined twice) have a handy 90' elbow that would attach to either a (say K301) carb that had its throttle plate modified to pivot on the horizontal axis as opposed to the standard vertical axis. ( I believe the boss can be bored and the original holes plugged):brows: Or, as George has intimated, the China vertical replacement would possibly work as well, with a length change in the governor rod? IMG_7292.JPGIMG_8777.jpg