• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Need to replace Mogul SS cam gear

Martin Reed

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/19/2019
I have an 8hp Mogul that is still in its original work clothes; was used to cut wood up until the early 90's. She is not as tight as when new and the cam shaft was getting very sloppy. I had a new cam gear made a couple of years ago thinking it would need to replacing, so finally decided it was time and removed the cam shaft assembly this past weekend. The cam gear is a little worn! If you look at the root of the teeth you can see where the mating crankshaft gear was wearing which means will probably have to replace the main bearings. I was expecting this to be a couple of hour job but it looks like I am in for a complete overhaul.
The last photo is when I purchased the engine several years ago, have since removed the buzz saw. This engine was originally sold to a farm in Ashland, VA. Sold at auction in the mid 60's, moved across the South Anna River and then purchased by me.

Martin

Attachments

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'm betting that made a bit of clunking noise. I've got a 12hp Mogul that clunks a bit with some rotational slop in the shaft. I should take it apart and make sure it's not as bad as yours.

Chris Epping

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Yeah, that is a common Mogul problem, but that is worse than usual! You're lucky it never got to binding and broke the bearing housing off. How is the crank gear? Steel I assume?

Martin Reed

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/19/2019
what led me to looking into this first was I removed the governor case lid to inspect the weights. I have seen other Mogul engines with busted governor cases and that led me to inspect the inside of mine. The pins holding the weights are heavily worn with my suspicion being they typically don't get any lubrication. There is no provision for lubricating them unless you take the lid off.
I poured some oil all over the assembly and decided to rework them at a later date. I now suspect the broken/cracked governor cases were from the weight assembly pins wearing out and allowing them to strike the case.
If I owned a Mogul I would check your governor weights to make sure they are secure and throw some oil on them.
Chris,
the crank gear is steel and is in good shape.
Martin