• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

New collectors and their lack of storage space

MFaris

Registered
I've met a number of younger guys (25+) who like the idea of collecting engines but just can't because of storage issues. Out here on the West Coast of BC the average house price is North of $1,000,000 So most younger families settle for a $600,000+ condo. Unfortunately that doesn't leave much room for engine storage!
To offset this problem the local clubs used to rent storage space to collectors for engines or tractors, unfortunately that practice has stopped.
So this leaves the future collector in a position where he goes off and finds a different hobby...

Have any of you seen this situation and has your local club done anything to address this issue?

Chris Epping

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I looked up the real estate listings in your area, and you are right, they are awful high even if you figure in the Canadian money difference. Unless you are making $100 an hour there as a young worker, it looks like a good place to get out of. But space is an issue a lot of places and probably part of the problem for many people wanting to get started collecting. This hobby isn’t like stamp collecting where your whole collection could be stored on a closet shelf. You don’t just need space, you need building space and equipment to handle heavy things. This also requires upkeep and maintenance. The idea of having things at a show grounds is good, but even there space is limited and many folks have reservations about leaving engines away from home. I’m not sure there’s a good answer to this problem as many people have to live where their jobs are, but there are certainly areas of the country where it’s easier to collect engines than others.

Slocan Kid

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/13/2011
Hey Andy you know my solution...get a bucket of grease and a decent tarp and you can shove two or three good sized engines in your designated condo parking spot and then park your car in the visitors slot. when the strata council complains you can tell them to pound sand as your saving history!

MFaris

Registered
Hey Andy you know my solution...get a bucket of grease and a decent tarp and you can shove two or three good sized engines in your designated condo parking spot and then park your car in the visitors slot. when the strata council complains you can tell them to pound sand as your saving history!
Ha!

This stems from a conversation I had at Doug's get together last weekend; one of the guys there was mentioning how he'd really like to get an engine or two but there just wasn't anywhere for him to store them let alone work on them. This guy and his wife both make good money but are tied to the location because or their jobs.

Dave Nielsen

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2018
I think this a problem for many people and not just those who would like to get into the hobby. Our local show in Canandaigua does store some engines and tractors for members, but the space is limited. Many shows in our area rent the grounds where they have their show, so it doesn't allow them to have permanent buildings for storage. Chris made a good point also on needing to store and maintain the equipment to move the larger engines around. I think it boils down to how bad a person wants to do something. The old saying if there is a will there is a way still kind of holds out. Dave

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Get creative, I have stuff at my parents, my sister's, some at shows semi permanently etc.
Make friends with people with sheds until you can afford your own.
Thats my plan

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I don't mean to say this to offend but perhaps "big wig" collectors need to frown less on the small engines.I know most folks would love to have several vertical IH's and some Foo's setting in the back of the shed.But not all can afford or store such. A couple 5s Briggs or a couple fruit jar maytags.Or maby encourage models of the big engines that could be stored in a closet?

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
Just make the engine part of the home décor.:D Now what wife wouldn't want a stinky old greasy engine setting in the living room.:O

Scotty 2

Registered
A couple 5s Briggs or a couple fruit jar maytags.Or maby encourage models of the big engines that could be stored in a closet?
Hello all
I agree. There are some very interesting little engines or even model engines that could be stored in a cupboard and carted around in the boot of a car.

How expensive are storage facilities there?

Below are just a few interesting little engines that can be picked up by 1 or 2 people and stored under the bed (nearly).

To say you cannot get into the hobby because of lack of storage is just an excuse. If really interested you just have to think outside the box.

All the below engines are a lot smaller then a Monitor. Most of them I picked up and put them in the back of the old Pajero when I found them. The Standard isn't mine but it's an interesting little engine in it's own right.....and it's small.
With the engines with the hoppers on top all you'll need to do is take the hoppers off (usually 3 or 4 bolts) and the rest is tiny.

Cheers Scott

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Who said that you have to have a 1 1/2 to a 20 HP engine. There a lot of early and unusual engines that you can put in the corner , under the table , in a closet about the size of a maytag. I have collected mostly 1/4 & 1/2 HP engines. I have taken engines to shows and some people think that they are models. A lot of collectors are not familiar with them. Here are some that are in my collection. Vim , Ypse , Globe , Plunket , Bicknell , Nanzy , Wallace , Associated Pony & colt. Ron

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
It's not just new collectors, my sheds are so full the walls are bulging out ha ha!
Around here most condo's have a garage. My buddy has a heavy pallet rack type shelf across the front of his garage, the first shelf is high enough that he can pull the hood of the car under it. Maybe and enclosed trailer, but still have to have a place to park it. Model engines are also a good idea, as already mentioned if there is a will there is a way.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
I certainly have no trouble with someone displaying an engine inside their house. My personal decorating style preference is "Cracker Barrel "!
But it may be the difference between a using engine and a static display.
I hauled one home this weekend in my van. It had some really varnishy gas that I drained out of it at the show and got all over the cart wood. And wow was that trip home bad! I would hate to think of hauling it inside.

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
when you really think about it, most collectors are handicapped to some degree if they like old engines, or old stuff in general.
Some people have mobility issues or limbs that don't work so well (if at all). Some collectors are crook in their guts. Many collectors are limited by their finances. A lot of limited by their knowledge and mechanical abilities (I especially like it when these people get something running. They're usually so proud of what they've achieved). I place myself as been hindered in our hobby by all of the above items.
Some people are limited by their available space for working on, or restoring stuff. Some are limited by the location of where they live to find stuff. And the list goes on. But the main thing is to enjoy your hobby by finding solutions to problems or to adapt to what you have. In an ideal world all collectors of old stuff would be Bill Gates rich, have the body of a 22 year old health freak, have 30 acres of shed to store stuff and work in and have the knowledge of all of the people on Smokstak combined.

I've been think more about the storage problem and I reckon buying an old registered van and storing engines in those could even be a solution. But if you keen enough, a solution will be found.

Cheers Scott

Mikey NY

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2016
I have a handful of engines and other stuff that wont fit in the barn or sheds, so this time of yr I buy several large gas grill covers on sale pretty cheap. The good ones last at least 2 or 3 seasons. They make nice covers for engines on carts and mowers etc. In the mean time I have to nice grills out by the house without covers. Never enough storage room.

FunMobile

Registered
Hello all, I wouldn't quite consider myself a collector yet because I haven't personally added any to the family collection, but I am young (28) and space is definitely a factor. I grew up attending shows and working on small/mid sized engines with Grandpa, when he passed away in 2010 his collection was divied up between my dad and uncle. What I am currently doing is going through the backlog of engines my dad has that don't run and getting them going.

I currently live in an apartment above a house and my landlords (house owner) graciously let me take up a little space in the garage. I bring them over the mountain from my parent's place one at a time. I have two carts down there with a 1-1/2hp M and Little Jumbo I'm working on (got the little jumbo running last weekend!). I roll the engines into the carport to work on them. No bench or vice and I have to lug my tools down from upstairs each time. It's not an ideal setup but I'm making it work.

Once I'm through the backlog I'll probably have a hankering to go get me another project. But I'll have nowhere to put it and I'm not sure dad wants to add to the pile in the back of his woodshop.

The obvious solution is to buy my own place. I can afford a house where I live, but that doesn't mean I want to afford one! Prices are insane and renting it a much better deal for the time being. However I would love to have even a small workspace. For now I'm saving for a down payment whenever a deal comes my way, in the mean time any aspiring engine fantasies are on the back burner.

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Problem is, these days a lot of people live in subdivisions or developments that have an HOA...(Homeowners Association). If you've never had to deal with one of these, you are lucky...just think of Hitler, Stalin, & Dumb and Dumber all rolled into one package, & you have the average HOA board. The color of your house, what you park on the street, how often you water your lawn, the kind of trees you can plant, you name it...they control it. Running an engine in the driveway in one of those totalitarian hellholes would be a cardinal sin.
Yeah, I was in one of those for 12 years, & it was sure nice to get the hell out...