• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

New GENERAC 6729- What should I keep as spare parts?

giannid

I just purchased a brand new Generac 6729, actually it's the Honeywell 7063 which is the same model. I got a smoking deal on a new one on ebay so I purchased it. I'm not the biggest fan of these backup units as I had one before at my other house and it kind of nickel and dimed me. I want to keep some spare parts in stock just in case something breaks. I don't mean oil and air filters but important parts that take time to get. My other concern is something getting discontinued. I believe I had to put a computer controller on my old one. What parts are the most prone to failure on these units? I'm not too concerned on spending money on parts as I rather be prepared. I'm the kind of guy who bought an extra furnace when I built my house so I always had what I needed to fix the one heating the house, yeah I did that. :)

pegasuspinto

they've built like about a zillion units, almost all identical, you're not likely to have -anything- significant go obsolete anytime soon. Even the 15-20 year old units have good parts availability, and they didn't sell near as many of them.

If there is one part you just can't do much about, it would be the controls. Just can't bypass the main brain ;) It's plug and play. They are pretty reliable, unless hit by lightning. A bad wiring job won't extend it's life either. Had one where they grounded the case to a ground rod, and then connected the building ground to the neutral lug. The controls didn't like that at all!

giannid

they've built like about a zillion units, almost all identical, you're not likely to have -anything- significant go obsolete anytime soon. Even the 15-20 year old units have good parts availability, and they didn't sell near as many of them.

If there is one part you just can't do much about, it would be the controls. Just can't bypass the main brain ;) It's plug and play. They are pretty reliable, unless hit by lightning. A bad wiring job won't extend it's life either. Had one where they grounded the case to a ground rod, and then connected the building ground to the neutral lug. The controls didn't like that at all!
Is the controls just a computer boar or is it an entire assembly? Sounds like I should have one especially if it's plug and play. Any ideal what it costs?

pegasuspinto

I saw some for about $400 I think. When you get yours, the control will have a part # on it, order with that. There is at least 2 versions now, and I am not sure which one your 'clearance' generator will have.

giannid

Is it easy to see controller part number without taking things apart? Is this a quick swap out or is it complicated?

Andrew Mackey

Buy a second generator for parts :D All kidding aside, the controls are the most likely parts to go first, if the engine holds up. My sons shop will no longer work on them - service and parts availability sucked and he could not get answers to technical questions from them. In the 2 years they dealt with Home depot, only 1 in 4 units worked for more than 100 hours without a failure. Your milage may vary!

pegasuspinto

The engine and gen end (should) have a 5 year warranty, (I don't know if the Honeywell had a different coverage) and I've never had trouble, Generac has shipped out 'free' engines with a 10 minute phone call, never hesitates to ship out a new rotor or stator. The only time they ever gave me flack was replacing the stator on a portable, they wanted extra info to try to be sure it wasn't backfed.