• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

New Guy Bought a Maytag Engine

redr2

Registered
Just picked this up on Ebay, as I have not been able to find one locally and looking for a winter project.

Can anyone tell me about it and what it may be missing from the photos (I know, they are not the best) I will have it in my possession in the next week or so and plan on restoring one.

I am also looking for a source for repro decals...once I know what model it is ?? I can so a search on this site....Sorry very new to these but it appears to be a pretty common Model 92 ?

Here it is with all the photos:

http://ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120515132708

Thanks everyone :)

PS - my wife is really impressed with my purchase ...."the biggest waste of fu*&$#n' money I have see...."

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017
Re: New Guy Bought a Maytag Engine ??

Maytag model 92 long base. Most common of the singles. Looks to me to be mostly complete. Wrong pulley but so what it would work. Only thing now is to hope the coil is good and it has spark. Definately clean out gas tank and make sure fuel pick up is functional. Good running engines. Buy the wife a twin and she will be happy.

redr2

Registered

Thanks Dan. I hope to give it a real good cleaning in and out when it gets here. Is there supposed to be a filter at the rear of the motor? Some I have seen have it and some do not.

I emailed the seller to ask for the serial number to see what year it is.

wydiver

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/30/2010

if you google maytag engine, you'll find all kinds of info. you can also find the serial number to date crossover on some of the website..I think there is a website where the originator goes through the whole process of restoration. also seach the forums on stak..you find that alot of people have already asked the same questions as you have.
good luck..the maytags are fun and you can find decals and parts on e-bay.
Bryon

Hi, if this is your first maytag 92 then you might want to check out Marvin McCullough's repair manual. His website is www.maytagshed.com He has written a manual over 100 pages with lots and lots of picutures to walk you through a complete restoration step by step. It's what got me through my first engine, a maytag 92. Thanks, Jamie It is around $26 but WELL worth it. :)

redr2

Registered
got that one too.

I am ordering just about everything from Mark as soon as it gets here and I can confirm the year.

redr2

Registered
Still waiting for my manual to arrive :(

But, finally picked up the motor. Its a November, 1928 Model 92 (serial: 323588). Now I need to call Mark and order all the parts.

A mud wasp actually made a tight little nest in the exhaust.

Motor is all complete with a little bit of green left. I started stripping it down a bit tonight....not one seized bolt, in fact I am surprised to find that each one is torqued down very little (8-10 ft lbs max).

Attachments

Tom S

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/08/2019
Don't repaint it, just clean it up nice and oil it down. You don't see the original decals left very often!

redr2

Registered
I think my fuel filter is clogged ;)

I was thinking of using some acid to dissolve the rust in the tank as its build up pretty good. I wasn't going to line the tank but may be considering one of those kits if it doesn't clean up too well.

Attachments

Dennis Wyatt

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2014
Looks like the rust monster was hungry on that one:crazy:
If you can get access to a bead blaster you will be amazed to how well it will clean up.:eek: Scrape and hand wire brush the loose stuff off first to keep the sand clean as possible then blast the top and tank. It is worth it even if you have to fork over a few bucks. Keep the progress posted and good luck!!!

redr2

Registered
Took the parts in today and had them blasted. Worked like a charm to clean up the rust from the tank :) I still need to have the cylinder jug done and the crank case but the rest turned out great....I have to seal/prime them now before they start to rust.

Has anyone else noticed the small "M" stamped in the fuel tank cap ?

Marvin's manual also showed up today....well worth the money.

I am considering buying one of those kits to seal the tank and top plate to prevent the rust but I am just skeptical how long that stuff lasts before it peels off.

Attachments

I use the American Standard fuel tank sealer. Por Boys on ebay sells it. It has an eagle head on the can. A small can runs about 20 bucks or more. Works good so far. I've had an engine for 4 years with it and it has not peeled off. Just be sure when you put cap back on can not to get any on the rim, it will seize it up so you gotta cut the can to reuse :eek: Sticks that good. I usuall pour remainder in a small mason jar and get none on the rim. Then I tape the top real good to make it air tight. Good stuff. :D

Sam Hamilton

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
06/15/2012
There is another path instead of buying your wife a twin (Model 72) to go with it. As several people have said, Maytag 92s are pretty common. There may be dozens at a show. But they are almost never mounted on a Maytag square tub washing machine. Washers are only worth about $100, less than the engine. Then you (or you and the wife) can demonstrate what they were made to do. Spectators love them. My wife washes my shop rags at shows. Then you can look for accessories for your wife to demonstrate like the Maytag Churn and the Maytag Meat Grinder, while you buy bigger engines. It's called a win-win situation.