• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

New Holland No 6 Feed/Burr Mill

primerk5

Registered
I recently acquired a metal hopper & legs #6 New Holland Mill. It's in decent shape and the only part it is missing is metal slide thing that closes off the grain flow from the hopper. I figured I could make that out of some sheet steel. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the shape of the end of it that is down in the mill and perhaps the thickness of material used. I wasn't sure if the end of it was cut flat or in a curve or angle or something. I haven't gotten a chance to try anything yet to see what might come in contact with it.

Thanks

Jebaroni

Registered
I'm not sure about the little No 6, but I have a No 10 that I can take the gates off to look at and get you some pictures. Does yours have 1 slide or 2?

primerk5

Registered
Thanks. That is extremely helpful. I went ahead and made something that I thought would work and darned if it doesn't resemble almost exactly like the one on the left of your picture. Glad to know I was on the right track.

Thanks again

Anyone ever see one with green paint on the hopper? I thought it was supposed to be red, but it looks like it was green. There is some red paint and striping on the legs but no red paint that I can tell on the hopper

Attachments

GreggL66

Registered
Can you post more pictures showing the lettering and pin stripping on the other 3 sides of the mill and hopper? I also have a #6 mill that my Great grandfather used to grind chicken feed. The only paint mine has is around the burr housing and it is black. I will try and post some pictures and measurements of my feed gate. Gregg

Jebaroni

Registered
Awesome that you have the wrench to go with it! Those little "extras" really make it cool and fun to collect!

primerk5

Registered
Can you post more pictures showing the lettering and pin stripping on the other 3 sides of the mill and hopper? I also have a #6 mill that my Great grandfather used to grind chicken feed. The only paint mine has is around the burr housing and it is black. I will try and post some pictures and measurements of my feed gate. Gregg
Here are the other sides of the hopper. There is no paint on the mill itself and i had posted a picture earlier of one of the legs. Each one has the same single stripe on both sides.

Attachments

GreggL66

Registered
Thanks for the additional pictures. Our internet has been out, still trying to get the feed gate out. The carriage bolt that hold the gate tight is rusted to the wingnut and the carriage bolt turns. Soaking it with penetrating oil. Gregg