• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

New Member of the Twin City Twin Cam Fraternity

J Ware

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/04/2018
Hello everyone, this weekend I picked up the newest addition to my collection of TC tractors, a 17-28, there is no serial number tag but from what I can gather it falls in the 1928 era. The gentleman I got it from said it ran well until it developed mag issues, has a marvel schebler carb and is missing the air cleaner. All of this is minor. It also has new fenders. The trip was not to be forgotten for a while, 2 flats on the trailer on the way home made for a long day. I would like to thank Kent, it was nice meeting you and your wife Mona. Jim

Attachments

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Re: New member of the Twin City twin cam fraternity

Thats great, congrats.
Yours is sure further ahead than mine right now.:brows:

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Looks to be a pretty decent TC. Definitely a later model as it has the straight front axle with bearings in the wheels and the large fuel tank.

Oilpulled

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

Nice, and it will never get much water in the engine in that position.

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018

Congratulations! It looks like your tractor has lots of potential!

As I reviewed the pictures I see that your tractor has two different rear wheels. It has an early "12-20" style rear wheel on the right side with a TW43A hub. The one on the left would be the correct one with the FT110A hub. Note that the FT rim was "double punched" to provide for more lug and grouser options on the later tractors.

The original carb was probably the universally frustrating Holley All-Fuel with the coil that extended into the exhaust manifold for preheating. The exhaust manifold appears to be sound which is good as usable ones are sometimes hard to find.

I'll be watching for updates. Good luck on your project! ;)

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Looks like you might need a left front wheel. I think I have a good spare, but it's a little far away for economical shipping. I'll check.

J Ware

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/04/2018

The engine number is 25576, would that make this tractor a 1928? Mark, I hadn't noticed the difference in the rear wheels, but just like the changed frame and bent front wheel, this is all character it gained from it's years of service to one or several owners.
After some more looking over, I see the govenor will need some attention, and I can follow Marks instructional posts as a guide for a quality rebuild. I'm going to age the fenders and fan shroud next year? I've crossed the biggest hurdle, I got my tractor, now to finish what needs to be done to make it run and operate correctly. Jim

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

I would say it's a '28. I have a '28 - serial #25506 engine#24075. Slightly earlier than yours, Jim.

J Ware

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/04/2018

I took a look at the twin cam today, I made the decision after I got the tractor home that I'm going to switch it to a hand clutch. To do so I got a clutch handle off a TC 21-32 and I just need to fab a plate to bolt to the handle and drill a hole to hook the clutch linkage to. Very simple. I also picked up a Bosch ZR4 mag, but i do have to change the rotation of the impulse,luck for me Bosch seen to it you just have to reverse the parts of the impulse according to the appropriate markings. Now just to get at itand get it done. Just as soon as the Cletrac repower is finished. Jim

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

If I remember right, I think you also need to change the point plate for counter clockwise rotation.

Jeff Blaney

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2015

Congrats on the new tractor. Any idea where the new sheet metal came from? I am in need of a set of fenders for my FTA.

ajs2744TC

Registered

If I remember right, I think you also need to change the point plate for counter clockwise rotation.
Believe your right Phil. I made that assumption and every time I advanced the mag it would quit. Had to change point plate and problem solved.

J Ware

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/04/2018

I'll have to compare it to the one in the mag for the cross motor Minnie, thanks for the info Phil. Jeff , I think the fenders were made by Merle Holderman aka Tired Iron Farms repo sheet metal before he passed away. Merle made a good products at prices that people could afford. Check enginads for Bobs ad in Harrison Mi.

J Ware

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/04/2018
Ajs,did you use the existing plate jus flip it over or have to get a different one.
I got the hand clutch all finished, pic 1 is the handle I got from Beiwers, pic2 is the piece I made and attached to the handle. Pic 3 and 4 is it installed on the tractor. Jim

ajs2744TC

Registered
Phil's right! Can't flip. And if I remember right there was an A stamped behind mine for anti. Believe Minneapolis used clockwise rotation.

J Ware

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/04/2018
Yesterday I pulled the 17-28 out that I bought about a year ago. I haven't heard it run yet. I got the new mag installed and belted it up, but could get oil pressure. Removed plug on oil pump and filled with oilseveral times but still no oil pressure. Any advice of where to start. Going to drain oil and check suction screen.
I also picked up a wheeler schebler carb for it also. Jim