• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

New Pioneer Project at Mark's Machine Shop

Ironman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2011
Re: New Project at Mark's Shop

I spent time on the platform of that tractor numerous times when I was a kid. My grandfather and great uncles were friends of the owner back then. The owner (back then) also had a Russell steam engine which he stored at my great uncle's farm, which was about a mile away from the showgrounds. Year after year, the Russell was fired at my great uncle's farm and then driven to the showgrounds. Both the Pioneer and the Russell were regulars at the local show. Both are surely missed.

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis

Pioneer pony right? Glad to see one of the handful left is getting the attention it deserves.

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

So, Ironman, little did I suspect you know that machine!....... :brows:

A peek inside the crankcase revealed a couple interesting features.
One is the crankshaft is drilled for pressure lubrication to the mains and rods.
The cylinders are oiled by a mechanical lubricator.
However the engine and transmission share same the oil compartment...... :eek: .......then again so do Model T's...... :D

Ironman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2011

Here is a picture of it at the local show in 1973. Had to do a bit of digging to find it. I might have more pictures of it, provided they weren't among the photos that I lost when my home flooded in the summer of 2010.

Attachments

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Wendel's Catalog of Farm Tractors shows the 18-36 having a horizontally opposed four with 5 1/2" x 6" bore and stroke and weighed 6000 lbs. It was produced in 1919 and remained in production until the end of operations in 1927.
While we're discussing Pioneer, I'm aware of a few examples of the 30, but are there any of the six cylinder Pioneer 45-90 models still in existence?

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019

Are there any actual pictures or even a catolg pic of a 45? It would be fun to see one. Someplace it says 9' rear wheels. The one pic that is referenced from time to time as a 45 I think is really a 30. I would think a 45 would be noticeably different since it would be 18 to 24" wider.

Joe P

ihredo4

Registered

Wish I remembered this tractor at Freeport but I didn't start attending until 1983 or so. Incidentally looks like a nice Gibson in the background as well. Thanks for posting my friend.

Jeff Blaney

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/25/2020

- AndyMoravec
Speaking of Pioneer Fix-er-uppers... who would tackle this project?
A lot of people nowadays! Smokstak has shown that there isn't much that is considered too far gone.

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

For the record the rear tires are about 60 1/2" in diameter and have an 18" face.
I'm going to take a shot at getting some engine interior pics and another detail I noticed.
I'll update soon....... :brows:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

^ Coffee?....... :bonk:

Better up the ante a bit Clyde....... :D

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019

I think the owner said 18-36 but........ :rolleyes:
Correct Craig.

It's Lloyd Trude's old 1920 18-36 Pioneer.

His Russell Steam Engine was a 1926 25-75

Our Club's Sawmill also came from Lloyd.

I've posted these pictures before on the Stephenson County Antique Engine Club's Facebook page. . . https://www.facebook.com/StephensonCountyAntiqueEngineClub/

If possible I'd like to share the color shots from this thread on there but figure I should ask before I do. It would be Great to see it back at Freeport sometime.

:salute:

Attachments