• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

New Project-1905 6 HP IHC Portable

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Hello, folks! Well, I have done it again, gone and bought the start to another project! I have had my eye on these parts for around a year or so, just finalized the deal today and got them loaded up and brought home. What I bought-flywheels and crank, head, and base. I had them spoken for for awhile now, and didn’t really know what I had until we got the parts drug out and I noticed the big heavy brass tag on the base today. (I had planned on building a hopper cooled engine with the parts, so had bought a hopper cooled cylinder....now that idea is put on back burner!) . I saw the serial number “J275G”. Checking the serial number list I found online showed a beginning serial number of J550 for 1906-upon seeing this my heart skipped a beat, as I knew I had a pre 1906! Conferring with a local IHC guru, he told me he figured it was probably an early 1905. Also he checked the prefix and found it that it was built as a portable.

So, the hunt is on for parts! I don’t know if I would EVER be able to find the 100% correct cylinder with the peep hole for the igniter, hot tube casting, etc but definitely want to build it as a tank cooled engine now. Anyone have any parts for this jewel? Rough condition not a problem, cracks can be welded and boring and sleeping not a problem! Also want to restore it as a portable engine, too. Any and all leads appreciated!

I’ll add some pics of the sorry mess in a bit.

Mike

MFaris

Registered
Re: New project-1905 6 HP IHC Portable

Jeez Mike, your really getting yourself a collection of engines! The line between being a steam guy with a couple gas engines to being a gas guy with some steam engines is getting real fuzzy....:brows:

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Re: New project-1905 6 HP IHC Portable

Most of the tank cooled Famous cyls have the pad on top for the hot tube but just not machined so you can add a HT by drilling a few holes. . The 2 castings for the HT have been patterned and recast by Vinny C. from Ct but I don't know if he has any left. The later Titan cyl.s would be alittle different. They likely wouldn't have the HT pad. They also have no patent dates or International on the side. They also have an extra drain in the cyl. The real early engines use a much different Fuel pump than the 1906 on engines. it doesn't have integral check valves. It's basically a body with 2 separate checks. The most early fuel pump drive is also very different than the later engines. I think there's some pics of that on the SMokSTak someplace. Be nice to have an Auto Sparker on it too while you are on the dream list. Rob

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/06/2020
Looks like a challenging project Mike! Also looks like the start of a 3hp Vertical famous in the back of your truck too! :brows:

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
This is what the earliest style IHC looks like. The chimney and torch are a little different than what your engine would use. However, as was mentioned the fuel pump is different than Famous engines used and the parts books show the early engines such as yours used the same fuel pump as my 8. Jason Dahm had one of the fuel pumps at one time and it’s only the third one I’ve ever seen and the only one not mounted on an engine. I don’t know if he still has it or if so, if he wants to sell it but it would be worthwhile to check.

https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/engines-a-z/1904-8-hp-international

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Tommy,
Thanks for the info! I've watched a vid of your engine running before, that is just way too cool!

Would my pushrod look similar to yours, or would it be different?

If anyone could post a pic of cut of what my engine would have looked like, mounted on a cart, I would be eternally grateful! Would the cart be the same as a newer engine, or not? Also, I've heard that the cooling tank is a corrugated looking affair, what would that look like?

Thanks,
Mike

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Hi Mike, I am thinking your engine would not have the wishbone push rod,I think the corrugated tank is just a open tank for thermo siphon type of cooling with no water pump. Possible that your engine would have a tray cooler . Does the crank shaft have a machined spot next to the throw on the pulley side? That's where the flat belt pulley to drive the centrifugal pump goes. It's also where the later ecc drive or the round belt pulley would mount. Are there 3 holes in the back of the crankcase where a pump brkt would go? I am thinking that Martin Reed had an early 6 portable maybe 4-5 years ago. Nate Bolduc has an early 6 too. There are pics on the SS of Nate's engine. Rob

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Rob,
I'll have to check my crank shaft, but I know for sure there aren't any holes in the back of the base for a water pump.

Mike

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Looks like it had an auto sparker on it back in the day. The stud with the nut on it by the nameplate was holding the brkt. Rob

Nate Bolduc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2020
Here are a few more detailed pics of the parts. I do have a flat spot right by the crank throw to run a water pump.

Mike
In the last picture, mine has the same drilled and tapped hole in the casting number. Why its there, I will never know. Does yours have two holes in the back of base that are drilled and tapped for 1/2" - 13 bolts?

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Nate, I'll have to look and see. Those aren't the bolt holes for the crank guard you're talking about, are they?

LeRoy IHC

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/07/2018
Hi Everyone

The tapped hole in the base by the part number gets an eyebolt in there and a spring same part number as governor weight spring hooks into the eye of a 2nd eyebolt. The other end of the spring is hooked to a bolt that is installed thru the pushrod. The spring keeps constant pressure on the pushrod to keep it against the cam. Only used on engines equipped with combination gas and gasoline mixers and mixers for natural gas. Engines that were equipped for this also use a different cam. I have an original 1910 operator's manual that shows this see attached picture.

Hope this answers your question about that mysterious hole.

LeRoy :wave:

Attachments

Nate Bolduc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2020
Nate, I'll have to look and see. Those aren't the bolt holes for the crank guard you're talking about, are they?
Yes they are, but mine are in a different location compared to most IHC engines.

---------- Post added at 08:49:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47:57 AM ----------

Hi Everyone

The tapped hole in the base by the part number gets an eyebolt in there and a spring same part number as governor weight spring hooks into the eye of a 2nd eyebolt. The other end of the spring is hooked to a bolt that is installed thru the pushrod. The spring keeps constant pressure on the pushrod to keep it against the cam. Only used on engines equipped with combination gas and gasoline mixers and mixers for natural gas. Engines that were equipped for this also use a different cam. I have an original 1910 operator's manual that shows this see attached picture.

Hope this answers your question about that mysterious hole.

LeRoy :wave:
Thanks so much for that picture Leroy, that explains the hole in the pushrod too! I may have to make that part up for my engine.

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Wellllll gents, the parts hunt is well underway, thanks to all who have replied so far. I sent off four checks today to four different people, like Johnny Cash I'm putting one together "One Piece at a Time"...just the way I like to!

Does anyone know where I might could find an IHC cart for this engine? Since it came out as a portable, I'd like to rebuild it as such.

Thanks,
Mike McKnight

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Been able to acquire a few more parts-old style cam follower and cam gear and a few other bigger parts came in last week. Got a little bit of primer shot on flywheels, and got some more parts dealt for. Right now just waiting for money to come thru and can dig in more.

Attachments