• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

New sparkplug tester help

C

Chris Page

Help got a new sparkplug tester and I think I broke it I hooked the clip to the sparkplug and nothing happened, also what does the long needle type thing go into

Please help

Attachments

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
At first glance, it looks like what you have is an automotive continuity tester. A 12V light bulb in the handle will glow when you hook the alligator clip to any grounded surface and touch the pointed tip to a live wire. Very useful for checking out trailer wiring, but there are lots of other uses too. It is possible to replace the 12V light bulb with a small neon light and it will work as a spark tester, but be careful how you hold it. It may not be insulated enough to protect you from 30,000 volts or so. If it is, indeed, a sparkchecker, you should attach the alligator clip to ground and touch the tip to the sparkplug terminal.

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
It does look like a test light but,I have one that you can unscrew the needle and put it in the other end of the tester to check spark also.Mabe it's one of those types???

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
Also In your pic I see you have it hooked to the sparkplug,It should be hooked to the coil wire(the wire that hook's to the plug)And grounded to the block.

KEB

Registered
Some test lights have a neon bulb in the handle to serve as a spark plug tester. Hard to tell from the picture. If it contains a small bulb, it's a 12 volt tester. If it contains a neon bulb, then it can be used as a spark tester.

Anyway, the clip goes to ground and the pointed probe goes to whatever you're testing. I have one that has a place to screw in the probe on both ends. If I screw the probe in on the handle end, then it connects to the neon buld and words as a spark tester. If I screw it into the normal end, it connects to a small 12 volt bulb and words as a normal test lamp.

Connect the clip to ground and put the probe on the spark plug terminal with the engine running. If its a regular test light, nothing will happen except you might kill the engine. If its in fact a spark tester, you'll see an orange neon flash every time the plug fires.

Keith

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
That is a TEST LIGHT not a spark tester:bonk: It has a 12 volt bulb and illuminates when a 12 volt circuit is connected. Clamp the alligator clip to the NEG side of your car battery and the long point to the positve side and whala illumination:D