• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

New to me McCormick 10-20

Duey C

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2018
Ooh, you guys have troubles separating wheels from axles too. Keep us up to date/watching with interest.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Ooh, you guys have troubles separating wheels from axles too. Keep us up to date/watching with interest.
Sometimes, I have cracked a few hubs trying to remove wheels, and they are straight splined axles. I would say
that a majority of them will cause no problems . The early keyed wheels are another story, I have two sets that
I bought with the axles still in them, pretty sure why they remain that way.

JohnDeere80

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/05/2016
I broke the flange on the hub using a regular puller. It will have to be repaired before it goes back on. I've started the long term game of soaking it in oil everytime I'm in the shop. Hopefully it will let go in a couple months time. If not it will get sandblasted and put on all while attached to the axle. Should work out either way!

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
My 17-28 Twin City was that way, several 10-20s and a W-30. Had a cutout rim handy for the 17-28 to repair.
Seems to be a fairly common thing on tractors that spent lots of hours plowing. I had a TC17-28 ( since passed on to a new owner) that had the inside flange worn off and had been "repaired" with a piece of 1/2 in. re-bar welded on.

Oilpulled

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
One picture on # 7 and later has a Grebe puller on the floor. We put together most of a full tool board set which has that puller on it. We need a few more parts for it. I put a new screw in that puller as the original was badly beaten.

JohnDeere80

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/05/2016
Saturday was a good day to be trapped in the shop due to weather. Got the rear end cleaned and covered back up. Machined the clutch pedal pin down and made a bushing. It's not perfect but it will take a lot of the play out of the pedal.

I did find part stack up of the front wheels. I will post bearing numbers once I source replacements.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2018
I broke the flange on the hub using a regular puller. It will have to be repaired before it goes back on. I've started the long term game of soaking it in oil everytime I'm in the shop. Hopefully it will let go in a couple months time. If not it will get sandblasted and put on all while attached to the axle. Should work out either way!
I remember my Father and Uncle had trouble with a Fordson rear wheel when I was a kid. It took heat to remove it. Maybe try heat cylcling it, good and hot, they had the whole rear hub a dull red hot a few times before it finally moved. They HAD to get the wheel of this tractor, I think to replace a bearing or maybe remove the belt pulley... it was a while ago. If you can leave yours, it may not be worth the trouble.