• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

New Toy Followed Me Home, 1949 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe

Power

Registered
Hello all,
Progress report.
I cleaned things up, honed and kitted the wheel cylinders while I waited for new shoes to arrive. Things turned out well and the Champ is back on all fours again.
Tony
You may want to check how shoes fit in drums. On that system, the short shoe is the primary, which "energizes" the brake assembly. When the shoes are loose in the drum because the drum has been turned, just part of the lining contacts the drum. If it is the leading edge, the brakes become overly sensitive. If the brakes are properly adjusted, only the center of the lining contacts the drum. When only the center of the lining contacts the drum, the brakes feel ok in slow speed application, but fade quickly during harder stops.

I did a lot of drum brakes, and corrected a number of "Saturday mechanic" screw ups. IE- take the drums to the machine shop, have them turned, buy new standard size shoes, assemble,call it good. Now the vehicle has different diameter drums on each wheel and linings that have limited drum contact. Wonder why brakes pull and fade.

Tony Thompson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/18/2019
Barnbikes,
Your pedal car is a fabulous project! I love it!
There are always uneducated folks who grumble about cutting up old cars, but I am not having it. There are so many old abandon un-used cars everywhere that the up-coming young generations do not want. The market for common old cars is way down. Cut them up, use them, enjoy them. Thank you for posting!
Tony

Tony Thompson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/18/2019
Had a recent break in the weather with good roads here in south Minnesota. I cruised the Champ into our nearby small town and went visiting to the neighbors. The Champ starts, runs and drives good for a 1949! I am thrilled with how well it shifts and steers, very easy and fun to drive. The engine was rebuilt with a new clutch at 60,000 and with new brakes in place I feel this could be a reliable driver for some time. The gauges all work and this is one of the few vintage cars that does not drip on my shop floor. There is now now 60,214 on the clock. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Tony

Attachments

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Very nice little car. I like it. Did anyone notice the self adjusting brakes. Yes, they were a first. Hill holder was an option.

Grape

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
Nice!! My Wife's grandfather was a designer there and more than likely did all the drawings for the front end of that car.
I was at the Studebaker museum last summer, very nice place to visit if you get the chance.

Tony Thompson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/18/2019
I did a quick read-through and nice find! Does this model have the Hill-Holder brakes?...................PD
Hi Pete, yes this 49 Champ has hill holder option.

This most interesting little car has quickly become a favorite around here. Even folks who do not care for the body style are impressed with the Champ after looking it over and riding in it. A fun thumbs up experience for old car lovers. Thanks for kudos and fun comments everyone!