• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

New trailer tugger.

JKWidener

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/06/2014
Brought home my new trailer tugger for the shows. It is a 1995 chevy suburban on a 3/4 ton chassis.... Should have enough room to sleep in the back also. Passenger tires were flat in the picture, Needs a little work, but i can build it the way i want it...

Attachments

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Those are great towing vehicles. Have, or, check the transimssion out, and serviced good before you start out with it. You've got a winner.. Likes gas but, a good tow vehicle. Stable, and able

JKWidener

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/06/2014
The transmissions have always been a problem in these trucks... Thats why this one is getting a vacuum controlled turbo 350, and a carbureted intake...

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Chances are you will not pass emissions with a carb set up. A '95 should have fuel injection. I have an '88 R-20 (3/4 ton 8 passenger), with a fuel injected 454 engine. 10 MPG wether towing a trailer or not!:eek: The big advantage - there is no replacement for displacement!:D The truck will maintain speed no matter what kind of hill you want to climb, while towing.
Andrew:D

Forrest A

Registered
Actually if it has the 700R4L60e in it it can be built into an awesome trnsmission for pulling heavy loads. As with any of these transmissions never use OD with a trailer behind, empty or not. The L60e has been adapted many times for use in hot rods with motors pushing 800 hp. I have one that was rebuilt to handle 600 + hp. As for the engine a "K" in the vin will indicate a 4 bolt 5.7 liter and the 95 was the last year (the next year the vortec was all you could get) for the old block that GM used for years. The TBI (Throttle Body Injection) will actually give great performance as long as all of the vacuum hoses (Pay close attention to the hose going to the MAP (Manifold Absalute Pressure) sensor as they are at the age where they are rotten and can look like swiss cheese.) and a few emission devices are in good working order. The biggies are the TPS (throttle position sensor), the EGR valve (if it is original it should be replaced) and the IAC (idle air control valve) as it can get carbon covered and stick especially if your EGR valve is not working right). A great upgrade for the TBI is to go to the 454 TBI and injector set. There are a bunch of hop ups you can do yourself on the stock TBI to increase power as well.

Great resource for TBI stuff:
http://www.gmcmidwestclassics.org/Web pages/Tuning the TBI.pdf

Another note. As this vehicle's drivetrain is electronically controlled you face a pile of issue that must be overcome to use the old school carb and transmission. Also the old school EGR control will also mess with the ECM and will make things difficult when it comes to passing emissions if you do have to go to the sniff test.

Ed Malcom

Email Not Working
Our motor home is a 1984 still in super good shape with a 454. I got tired of blowing manifold gaskets and burning plug wires as the old 454s ran a whole lot hotter on the right bank. anyway we put the complete banks exhaust system on and an unreal difference. It was NOT cheap and was a lot of work but we gained three miles per gallon and the increase in pulling power is unreal. I know banks is primarily known for diesels but i dont regret doing this for a minute. There is no substitute for power. Ed the le roi man

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
John, at least we dont have emission testing in the good ole state of Indiana. Sounds like other states could make it hard to do anything out of the norm.
Brian

Power

Registered
The transmissions have always been a problem in these trucks True, but from experience, as others have posted, a good trans shop can rebuild it to be bulletproof. The other issue with mid 90 burbs in my area is rust out of the rear floor, metal by tailgate & frame rear of the back wheels. People have fabricated new metal, beefed up trans and run for over 250,000 miles without trouble. The OEM hitch on my neighbor's shed rust in sheets and had to be replaced in 2001. Still going strong at 265,000.

asandberg6

Registered
The AC line over the top of the distributor makes condensation and drips on the distributor. This causes a no start situation. Put wire loom on the line to avoid this. I don't know about the 454, but the small blocks of this era used plastic intake manifold gaskets that shrink an crack at the coolant passages. Felt pro permadry plus gaskets fix this for good. The symptom disappearing coolant with no apparent leaks, just dampness at the front of the head and the front manifold bolts.