• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

New (VERY OLD) cultivator at PAMA

EmersonFan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2020
Hello, this is Mike at PAMA - the Paulson Ag Museum of Argyle.
We had two old wooden cultivators in the barn; kind of surrounded on 3 sides with other stuff.
One day a few months ago, myself and a few museum members were looking at stuff and noticed the uniqueness and extreme age of these two cultivators.
A little study revealed the following:
- One is an Emerson-Talcott, made in Rockford IL between between 1876 and 1883
- the other was made in Freeport at about the same time.
Each is unique but they are also VERY similar.
One similarity is, they have both been kept inside and are in extremely good condition considering their age and that they were almost completely made of wood.
Kent McMakin, member of PAMA, brought the Emerson yesterday; the other one will rejoin it's brother when he gets finished with it.

I guess I'm just a sucker for anything this old, but I think these are each a very special work of art.

I really admire the ingenuity that went into these things. And clearly a lot of experience as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

EmersonFan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2020
PAMA - the Paulson Ag Museum of Argyle.
old wooden cultivators
- One is an Emerson-Talcott, made in Rockford IL between between 1876 and 1883
- the other was made in Freeport at about the same time.
[PAMA member] Kent McMakin, [has refurbished these]
I just think these two artifacts are beautiful; first, they were a work of art when made in about 1872; and 2nd, Kent did a really nice job cleaning them up and they have been sprayed with Penetrol. I could just stare at these things for an hour. If anyone would like more pictures, just ask. I'd be happy to post more.

1588789375504.png
1588789398387.png
1588789421341.png
1588789445586.png