• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

New Way buzz coil

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
I visited a friend today who has a New Way buzz coil that I have read was made by National. It has 4 terminals on it and the schematic in the New Way manual appears to show the extra terminal with an external jumper wire going to the normal ground terminal. Does anyone know why they made it with the 4th terminal? Bill Klein

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
In the New Way twin 7 hp manual I have, it states and shows you how to hook up the 108deg opposed twins off those two terminals. They did however make a twin point coil as well for these engines. By the way I have hooked my twin up to the 2 spark terminals on a New Way single point coil and it does work. I have seen single point NW coils with a short wire from this"spare" terminal to another on coil, when only single spark is needed- Hope this helps-Cheers-Neil.

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Thank you Neil. He is connecting it to a single cylinder engine. It never occurred to me that the coil was made to accommodate a twin! Bill Klein

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
I always wondered why they would make a double coil as well if the single coil would power a twin. Only thing I can think of is less wear and tear on points on double coil = more reliability. When I get around to it, I'll put the single coil on and take a video of it running, If I can work out how to post it! Cheers-neil.