• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

New Web Site

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Harry, I say ya done good! yes its a adjustment and it needs some tweaking but its still here! if you would have just dumped it there would have been much more bitching but on deaf ears!(y)(y)

Zephyr7

Registered
Give me TIME, please. You cannot imagine what I've just been through!

Besides, it's Christmas and the whole family is here and I'm in my MAN CAVE on Smokstak.
Harry, definitely go be with your family for the holidays! One of the reasons I’m not a Sysadmin anymore is it was sucking away too much of my life, and wrecking my sleep due to the screwy hours. Everyone yelling to go faster and the “why isn’t it working” didn’t help either. I totally understand.

Enjoy your Christmas and I wish you a happy new year too. Worry about the sysadmin stuff afterwards, it can wait. We tech people waste too much of our lives waiting to click “ok” already.

Bill

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Patrick it is not a matter of liking the new site. Some of us are having a hard time looking at it. For me fifteen minutes means a two hour headache

Last edited:

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Hang in there billy, i see harry has changed some of the background several times in the last 24 hours. I imagine its like a brand new car and nothing is where it was on the old one! Just like a new roadtractor with a million switches, luckily i never found the seat ejection switch!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Billy i just found something by accident that may help, i turned the brightness down a bit, i didnt even know i could do that on a laptop! it wasnt turned all the way up to begin with so i turned it all the way to full bright just to see, if thats where you are at i can see where that would give me a splitting headache in short order!

tjc transport

Registered
brightness is usually done by holding down function and F4 to lower, F5 to raise.
but this also depends on version of windows being used.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
I just talked with Billy on the phone. He has a Gateway brand of a computer with a separate monitor, about five years old. Surely there must be a brightness and contrast knob on that monitor to dial in a more friendly screen appearance. I told him not to overlook the control (Ctrl) key and the mouse wheel to dial in the type size that he needs.
:cool: Maybe sunglasses will help Billy?? :cool: If not at least he will look cool wearing them

:ROFLMAO:JohnnyC:ROFLMAO:
New Jersey

Bloppy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Like some others,I resist change. Have not traded my flip phone in yet. Don't text. And of course was in shock when I seen what happened to the STAK.
I have enjoyed and learned much from this website in the last 10 years. Its been my go to website after checking my email on a daily basis If I am home. I am learning the newer website and Even got my "B" button changed to a cool picture. I guess life will go on as normal and hope to have many more years of enjoyment and learning.
Jim

Brenda S

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2016
I miss Billy. I vote for whatever needs to be done so Billy doesn't get headaches. We have to take care of each other. I understand a lot of people have different reactions to various color schemes and brightness. I'm flexible and can usually go with whatever is thrown at me. I'm still figuring out how to do things here, but maybe someday I'll get most of it. Heck, I was still finding new things on the old site.
Brenda S (still looking for the perfect smilie)

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
I sometimes use an old version of IE and I had Huge Bright Snowflakes bordering the page o_O But on Chrome they were Gone (y) I deleted my browsing history on IE and now they are gone. It don't bother me at all not using MicroShaft products.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
I'm not sure if this is the place to report glitches, but since Harry is posting here I may as well report it here. When viewing this site on my Samsung dumb phone with the phone held in a landscape view, I can easily see the pages is there are more than one page (see first screen print below). If I position the dumb phone to a portrait view, no page numbers are displayed (see second screen print below). This also happens to my Amazon Fire tablet using it's Silk Browser. So, if there are multiple pages for any subject posted, I won't know unless I position my dumb phone and tablet to a landscape view. Is this a bug? or am I going blind?

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

john gilbert

Registered
Damn, I thought I had logged onto "Smokstok Down Under", I guess I will have to start all over again, BUT my time is up, the wife want's the bloody computer. cheers, John

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
I go back to the early 1980's. I was working at my 2 year college's computer room in 1982-83 when the first IBM PC came out. No hard drives that I recall, only big-azz floppy disk drive. You worked in DOS mode. Back in those days we used punch cards to code programs. Things evolved and in 1987 I got a programming job in a very large telecommunications company that was once part of the Bell telephone system (Bellcore - Bell Communications Research). We were the research arm on the Bell system. This was after the big split. I held many positions over 27 years and were sold off 3 times since my beginning with Ericsson being our last buyer. We were once a company of 8000 people. Ericsson outsourced most of our jobs and in 2015 my entire team's jobs were offshored to a company called Global Logic located in Kiev, Ukraine. We had to sit side by side with our replacements for 6 months to train them in order to receive a "package" which included 1 year's medical benefits (COBRA) free and a year's pay. If we refused, we would be shown the door immediately with no benefits. Since 2015 upon our departure, me and my team never looked back and could care less if Ericsson goes under. By the way, we had lots of proprietary data from the telephone companies that we used for testing our software and that all went to Ukraine unrestricted. This data includes almost everything in the design of our phone system from the central offices to your home.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

If you don't get out much and you landed in the middle of the big city, there might be a problem. You won't know where you are and most everything would be eye-popping compared to small-town America. I have traveled the entire country and came away with the opinion that big cities are like toilets in dire need of flushing. New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, San Francisco, you can have them all and if you lived there, you would know it like the back of your hand. On the other hand, if you lived in Hillsboro, North Dakota, you would know every street and everybody, It might even get boring after a while.

Computers and software are much alike. I started at the beginning when the microprocessor was invented. I built my own in 1976 out of circuit boards, sockets and small parts to be soldered in from baggies of individual parts. The chips came inside molded plastic tubes for safe storage. The software came on cassette tapes to be loaded into an 8K memory board. The display screen was 16 lines of 32 characters.

It was simple back then and fortunately so that I didn't become overwhelmed. I was programming in Octal or Hexadecimal codes to make programs or subroutines. I needed a printer so I got a used IBM Selectric typewriter and placed solenoids underneath, six to control the letter codes, one for space and one for carriage return. I wrote the coded routines to feed it from an eight-bit parallel port out of the computer. It worked and it was my printer for a long time. Then the new faster dot matrix printers came out and they were a luxury item. I could go on and on with this, but one more was to connect an early hand calculator chip to the parallel port so that the computer could feed numbers to it and have it add, subtract, multiply and divide floating-point numbers and feed the answer back to the computer. Back then we did have a Basic programming language, but it could not do floating-point numbers. ENOUGH! You can obviously see that we have come a long way!

If you came from that era and were immediately dropped into the modern world of electronics, you would flip out. We just came from vBulletin that was invented 15 or 20 years ago to XenForo that was invented 10 years ago and is now on its second version. I like it when hardware or software has been around long enough to get the bugs worked out. You can never know everything and if you could, it would become extremely boring and I like hardware and software that has a future. The next 100 years will be insanely complex if we don't blow ourselves up or get hit with a massive meteor. It would be overwhelming to see it.

Brenda S

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2016
I got left in the dust many, many years ago. I started out taking "data processing" in high school. It was IBM cards, even though they were obsolete at the time. We learned to read them by just looking at the holes and how to use them. On Dec. 7, 1977 I was hired at the daily newspaper as a "typesetter". We used Compugraphic equpment and I learned to type on paper punch tape, run the tapes on 2961s and process the galleys of type with photo chemicals; then paste up by hand, lay down border tape, etc. We had no way of seeing what we were typing, so if we got lost we had to read the holes in the tape to figure out where we were. A couple of years later, when I was working at the local weekly newspaper, the preacher was building computers using a TV screen and a bunch of wires and stuff. I kept thinking how he was going to electrocute himself. I didn't understand a thing about how it worked. In the mid 1980s, the boss got a Mac 512K and a laser printer. No more photochemical processing! I had a screen so I could see what I was typing and could make up ads with borders right on the paper. We still pasted up but it was wonderful! I remember the computer was $5,000 and the laser printer was $5,000. I figured out how to put the subscription list on the computer and we were in the modern world! I still used the foot-powered Addressograph and index cards for billing advertising, but we had a computer!

I always wondered if computer programmers were the smartest people in the world or the most insane. I know how to do what I know how to do on the computer. But go beyond that and I am totally lost. I have enough trouble when I try to add new programs or work on stuff online. I'm still running my XP mainly because none of my high-dollar programs will work on newer operating systems and I'd have to spend thousands on new programs. Most times when you all are talking about "just do .... or ...." etc. I have no clue what you are talking about. Most things I've learned, I've learned by accident. So, everybody has a story and that's mine.
Brenda S (still looking for the perfect smilie)
PS I stay away from the big cities, too.

EICBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I got left in the dust many, many years ago. I started out taking "data processing" in high school. It was IBM cards, even though they were obsolete at the time.......
I recall taking RPG II, FORTRAN and COBOL in my high school data processing class. Using those same 80 column punch cards. Also writing programs and having to use that large gommy patch panel in order to “teach” the card reader what to do so your program would run as you hoped.
circa 1976, I thought that was the coolest. Moved on to the “Digital” DOS, paper tape mini computer. Took up a full 8 foot tall rack and had 4 teletype terminals. That was cool!!
-BobC

tjc transport

Registered
i was a few years earlier. got my degree in electronic engineering and design in 74.
but i am not a "people person" and decided computers were not for me after almost choking an idiot that removed the out of service sign and turned a machine on while i was inside it troubleshooting it.
so i became a truck driver instead.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Harry showed me how to find all my post.But I am still looking for how to find the post I started,like the old forum,post you started or post you replied to. It would make it much easier to go back and update a older thread and not have to start new 1's all the time.