• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

New Zealand Made Engines

Evan Hale OConnor

Registered
Hi Everone, There was quite a lot of Engine manufactures in New Zealand in the South Island area, I am going to post all the known engines made here. Alpha, Anchor, Anderson, Armitage Moran, Bird, Boothmac, Bradley, Cooper & Duncan, Cylind, Greenslade, Henderson, Invertec, Judd, Johansen, Kiwi, Kapai, Kauri, RJL, Maindonald, Laidlaw Leeds, Marlborough, Masco, Masport, Miscellaneous, Morton, Neilsco, Nelson, NTS, Orion, Palmer, Price, Reliance, Ridd, SEC, Stokes, Storrie, Treloar, Trengrove, Twigg, Victory, Viking, Wairewa, Zealandia, Farmer.
Any one with some of these engines please let me know. :):O:D:confused:
Thanks
Evan.

Merv C

Registered
Re: New Zealand made Engines

Even.
I will start the ball rolling, two Andersons already on here, incomplete Greenslade, and a Treloar, not yet running.
Merv.

Evan Hale OConnor

Registered

Hi Merv, I have 21 engines in my collection so far and 5 Anderson's, I have put 2 of my Anderson's on here, the Hopper cooled Anderson's and the tank cooled Anderson's, I am 15 years old and been collection for a while ever since I was 13, and I have gotton 21 engines in 2 years, it sounds like you have a great collection to, we could talk some time if that is all right with you, my phone number is (09) 4315089, tonight is fine and Monday, or you could give me your phone number please, or if you have Skype.
Thanks
Evan,

Evan Hale OConnor

Registered

Hi There, this is a very nice Anderson engine, I have one just like it that I got about a week ago and another one too, I have just gotton one of them dismanteld completly, and the other one will nearly be ready to start, because everything is free in it which is good the one that is like yours is a 1919 or 1920, and the other one is a 1926 or 1927. Does your's go now??? And have you cleaned it up yet??
Thanks
Evan..

Last Subscription Date
10/02/2010

Hi Evan. My engine is 1922. I have not had time to do much with it yet (it is still sitting where it was unloaded) although it has been sprayed all over with WD40. I hope to have some time to get to it in the next month. I don't think it will take much to get it running.

Regs

Email NOT Working

Hey Evan do the motors at the club count? According to the last inventory I conducted there are:

24 Andersons
1 Boothmac
3 Twiggs, one being a 3 cylinder marine
1 Farmer
1 Masport
1 Treloar.One of a total of 4 remaining in New Zealand that still run. 3 are known to be in the Whangarei area, 1 at the Whangarei Stationary Engine Club, 1 at the Jack Morgan Museum Hukerenui, Whangarei and one in the ownership of a friend of mine, who also lives in Whangarei.
1 RJL
2 Greenslades
2 Zealandia Marines

Don't worry I will try to get pics of them for all to see sometime next week.

Last but not least my only NZ made engine. 1928 Anderson 3hp @400rpm, just about restored:D so I want to try and get her to some shows this year. See you on saturday

P1010199.JPG

Merv C

Registered

Regs
Only four Treloars running? I would have thought there would have been more. I know there are not many around. Do they have the original carby's I know a lot were changed. My Treloar is free and does have the original carb, I intend to restore it soon. I haven't got a photo but I will get one and post it on here
Merv.

Evan Hale OConnor

Registered

Very good looking engine, it will be going soon, then the count will go up of the running engines, I may be getting a Cooper Stover Horizontal engine for a good price.
Cheers
Evan.

Regs

Email NOT Working

zealandia1.JPG zealandia2.JPG
A museum further up the road from our club has about 3 zealandias, several andersons, a treloar and many villiers and rare horizontals. Forgot to take my camera when I went there for a visit last weekend so I didn't get any pictures although there were many unrestored engines i would have liked.

Bug1929

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2020

I have got a 1911 or 1912 Mason and Porter Style:1 Serial Number:24, Made by City Engineering, Auckland. It has got spoked flywheels, not like any other Mason and Porter or Masport engines. On the 20 October 1916 the Mason and Porter Company Limited started. This company was prior to Masport Engineering. Geoff McCarten.