• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Newbie with Questions

James2488

Registered
I recently acquired, what I have been told is, a Nelson Brothers 2 1/2 hp engine in an auction.

I could you any info on this engine, where to look for info on it (didn't see anything obvious on it). How to operate it, how to maintain it (what oils/grease) and any other pointers you would have for a newbie.

Link, to the one I purchase below.

https://www.proxibid.com/Farm-Machi...red-Webster-Mag-Oiler/lotInformation/53833180

Thanks

James

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Welcome James! Nelson brothers are a nice engine and not particularly hard to find parts for. If you search the archives here you can find a lot of information on them. As far as grease and oil, any thing you use will be better than what they had back in the day.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
I saw the pictures, it looks like a good engine. I've got to wonder if the rocker arm is homemade.
I'm not a Nelson Brothers expert, but I believe a distinctive feature of theirs is that the rocker arm had kind of a round flat paddle feature where it contacted the valve. If you search the archives here or search YouTube or Google for Nelson Brothers Engines I believe you'll see what I mean.
You can leave it as is as the rocker arm was what is commonly called a farmer fix and is part of the engines unique history. Or if you want to get an original style rocker arm it should not be too difficult.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Reprint manuals are probably available from some of the sponsors here or on eBay. Pretty much any reprint Manual of any brand will give you the basics that will get you started. Otherwise just take it to a show and there'll be enough guys helping that you'll know all you need to know in half a day.

Ironman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/21/2020
To begin with, oil all moving parts and fill grease cups with grease. Your engine is throttle governed, so start out by filling the small tank on the carb with gas. Swing open the little door that I have marked with a black arrow and add the gas there. Close the door, and open the needle valve marked with an orange arrow about one full turn to begin with. Place one hand over the air inlet on the front of the engine and turn the flywheels over one or twice. Remove your hand from the air inlet and see if the engine will start. I would start out just running it from the starting tank until you get a bit familiar with it before filling the main fuel tank. Needle valve marked with blue arrow is the one that would be used when running the engine on the main fuel tank. When running on the main tank, you will want to be sure to close the needle valve for the starting tank. Exhaust rocker is absolutely home made.

A good page to learn about Nelson Bros. engines can be found here: http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/nelsonbros/000index.html

Attachments