• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

newer briggs question

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
my brother inlaw asked me to take a look at his john deere and i think it is a 17.5 HP. said it locked up, i went and looked and it was low on oil but it did have oil in it and it was clean. I came back to the house and got some sockets and a breaker bar and sure enough it was locked so i tried reverse direction and it came loose. i can turn it almost a full turn then it locks again. something is broke, does this engine have that screwy balancing deal like the older 14 HP did? It has been a long time since i have been into a briggs and this is the second one my way this week! I cant recall all of what that balancing deal consisted of or if it could lock one up if it failed.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
its next door, i will get the information and it is ohv. what i can hear jamb is in the bottom of the crankcase but i dont think it is a broke rod. almost sounds like it changes sides with direction of rotation.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
the last one that acted like this had slung the magnets out of the flywheel, this is lower than that.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
overhead valve will swallow a push rod when the valves get loose.May have to pop it apart and get it out.Order pushrods and gaskets on ebay cheap.
EVEN if it is the rod gauded to the crank,polish the crank and order arod.Cheap fix.

K-Tron

Registered
My guess is that it is one of those cheap Briggs Intek 311777 engines. I found one on the side of the road and I mailed it to a stakker free of charge a couple of years ago. His engine dropped a valve. I do not see how a magnet could hold up the engine from turning over. The magnets are brittle and would shatter if they came in contact with the stator, especially at speed. I can see rust in the cylinder holding up an engine that has been stored outside over the winter, but more than likely it is more of a problem than that. The good news is that those engines are cheap and common. It is probably cheaper to replace it with a new engine than to fix it.

Chris

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
yeah, i know the magnets flying out and locking the engine sound far fetched, but it happened. they were tired of repairing it and asked if i wanted it, even got a spare motor with a hole in the block. pulled the flywheel off of it fixed the other and sold it. easiest fix and quickest sell ever.

purse

Registered
Remove the spark plug try spinning the motor. Possibility gas leaking pass the needle seat and locking up the piston. if You do that make dam sure the wire is out of the way of the spark plug hole. If u don’t and there’s gas it will Spark and unite the fuel that’s coming out of the plug hole.

Jeff S

Registered
The first time someone told me about what Purse said I thought "ya right" have had it happen to me twice since then! Once it was with a newer Briggs

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
fellas i been working on stuff a long time, something is broke or came apart it is definitely a mechanical failure. only numbers i could make out are BG20311 and it is a 17 HP briggs in a john deere 102

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
First question I always ask is ‘Has anyone been in this engine before me?’
If ‘Yes’, expect trouble.
If ‘No’, at least that lets you know someone else hasn’t made a bad situation worse.
First and easiest thing I would do is pull the rocker arm cover. Is everything that is supposed to be there present?
With the spark plug out turn the engine by hand and watch what is happening with the valve train. Do things move as they should, when they should?
If the top end is good your problem just got more involved, but at least you have cleared that much.
I’ve seen governor parts break and cause a jam allowing only partial revolution of the crank.
Probably has plastic cam lobes and gear. These are known to break.
Had one where the gear broke and the crank would hit the high spot on the cam lobe since it was out of position. Very little clearance between some components.
Good luck!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
john he bought this one new, and made payments on it and no it has not been into yet. I have the feeling he will just buy another new one and that is killing me! I fix stuff. get a load of this! he just bought 4 new tires and rims because he didnt want to fool with changing them! 4 tubes would have been cheaper.:bonk:

K-Tron

Registered
Tracy, is the rod broken in the middle (overspeeding), or towards the lower end (lack of oil)? The big question is what condition the piston, cylinder, crankpin and lower bearing housing are in. If all is okay you could probably rebuild it very cheap. If more than the rod is damaged I think its time for another engine. Lets see the carnage!

Chris

MColopy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
98FC14BD-62D9-441B-9E4E-A664CC5D8D22.jpegis this the same deal? Just fixed the one my boy ran out of oil, yea I know 32 years old??? Couldn’t afford to buy parts to fix it, ridiculous prices. I found an lawnmower repair guy with a junkyard and bought one with a broken compression release for fifty bucks. Swapped my good cam and ready to go. My model number was on the valve cover.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Polish the crank,get a rod and gasket set if the piston and cylinder are ok, reasonable price fix really .Cheaper than a new machine. And heck if he buys a new 1, and you can get it cheap enough,fix it and resell it for a profit to help pay for that Case fuel pump!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
looks the same, and i found the numbers after it was out. like you said on the valve cover. rod broke on the big end 3 or 4 pieces and the oil slinger took a beating. I have polished crankshafts before when this happens, but this one looks pretty rough. I told him if it was me to look for a hydrastatic JD as they were prone to transmission problems. find one with a bad transmission for $50 pull the motor and junk the rest. as for pictures, its back together but i can take a shot of the rod pieces I fished them out.

K-Tron

Registered
After running an engine dangerously low on oil to the point of rod failure it is of utmost importance to check that the crankpin is round and not worn undersized.

Chris