• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Nice floor outlet

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
I just picked up another floor outlet. I like to mount these on a wood or metal base with felt on the bottom. Run a cord out the side of the base and I have a nice place to plug in phones Ipad ETC.

I am posting this one before I am finished because there are more of them on Ebay and I thought someone here might like one.

Here is the Ebay Link

http://r.ebay.com/1R7hYe

PLCtech

Registered
Very nice! The receptacles themselves are modern. Please be sure of wiring integrity and proper grounding of all metal parts before energizing. What a great find!

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yeah, I was wondering if the seller still has the original receptacles. You can still get non-grounding ones new, to replace broken originals, though I'm sure their quality is well short of that of the originals.

Vast majority of cord and plug connected devices do not have a grounding plug.

It would appear that this unit is grounded by virtue of its connection to a grounded box.

They're very cool! Indeed I would like to install a few of these in the house I want to build. Under the dining room table, and under any desks comes to mind. :D

Keith

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
IT'S definitely got that cool vintage look to it! The craftsmanship just screams quality!

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
I have disassembled the one I bought and further cleaned it. The black finish is in great shape under a lot of floor polish, and of coarse the brass cleans right up.

If you want non grounded outlets, they are available NOS on ebay all the time.

These units appear to have been "upgraded" with grounded outlets some time ago although a ground wire was not added.

I have built a few of these for myself and friends (Different housings) I collect them, and I give them to friends to use for phone chargers ETC. I NEVER trust the old wiring. I find the best way to rewire for portable use is to buy a extension cord and cut the end off. This way you get new wire with a molded plug.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Very nice!

I prefer old wiring, and am much more likely to buy something when it is still present, especially when in good condition. Obviously when it is found to be falling apart, then there is nothing that can be done but to replace it.

Keith

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
These were designed for permanent install so there were no cords. I like the old fixtures but to use them I like new cords with new molded plugs. I know that is just one way of doing things. Others collect and show old wiring and plugs. I enjoy seeing them but not using them.