• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Nichols & Shepard Had a Little One

John Manning

Registered
I got a call Sunday about an enine found in the woods not far from where I live. My engine buddy and I went to look at it and short version is I bought it today. Its a ways off from being runnable but it will look just to cool sitting beside the 25-85. I believe its a 13 hp.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Re: Nichols & Sheppard had a little one

Congratulations John!

From the looks of the cleats, it has been run many a mile!

Beth

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Congrats, John! :wave: I'll drop you a line, I've got a fellow you need to talk to, says he can help you out with parts, etc. :brows:

John, why don't you tell them what the former owners' plans were for this engine :eek: , before you saved it?

Mike M

John Manning

Registered
Yep Mike. It is on a spot that is going to be cleared for a new house. I was told it was going to be moved into a nearby gulley with the dozer when the lot is cleared. I made an offer and we agreed to the terms today. The lady I bought it from was happy and I am as well. Just didnt want to see it pushed off a hillside or buried. I dont have immediate plans for it other than to get it out of the weather and to start rounding up patterns so my foundry can cast some replacements.(smokebox ring and door, and a few other pieces plus whatever I break trying to strip it.) Plan on talking to Jonas when we take my friends Case up there next month and going from there. It will need a boiler for sure.
The ribs on the front wheels are good, but the cleats on the rears are worn badly. The bull pinions and the crank pinion need replacing but the remainder of the gears are really nice. Almost everything is there except for anything brass and the pulley for the govenor. Also missing the stack but found the base under some leaves so hopefully the top is there somewhere also. Found 1 set of numbers on the boiler in the top of the steam dome. They are about 3/4 of an inch tall and read M 4/05. 1905 possibly? It is a wet bottom boiler as well. Its just so tiny. Really cute. I have to get a tape and take some measurments. Number tag is missing so no idea what the serial is The lady also said she thinks she has some pictures of her grandfather threshing with it and I can get some copies if she can locate them. I am excited about that as well and glad it will stay in the same town it lived its whole life in.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Here are a few more pics as well.

steam dome is B 4/05 not m. Sorry for the misinformation in above post.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
That is a great find! It appears to possibly be a 16hp. Their overall size weren't that big, back then, compared to their horsepower. This was Casey's 16hp when it was at Belgrade, MT. Never mind that me, John Schrock, Kevin Small and Don Bradley had just taken an involuntary swim in those water tanks. Gary;)

John Manning

Registered
It very well could be a 16. It really is tiny in size but it does not have any numbers that say in laymans terms so I dont know. Im sure the casting numbers would tell the story if someone knows what they are supposed to be. I would like to find out if anyone has any suggestions.

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
John,
Sent you a PM with some contact info for you on a fellow that has a 13. He took a look at your pics, and told me thought that yours was a 13, but if you get him the barrel diameter he can tell you for sure. He said the 13's kept the wet-bottom boiler up until the end, also the cast-iron cylinder jacket was kept until the end, also.

Gary's right (as usual) though, the 16's that N/S built were pretty close in size to my 13 HP Gaar, so there's a possibility it might be a 16 regardless? I really like the cast iron work on the quadrant shelf where the levers bolt onto, really classy looking!

Another friend of mine has a 16 HP Nick, it's a really nice-to-operate little steam engine, and about handy as a pocket on a shirt for belt work. :cool: It originally came from Columbia, TN, and the cleats show about the same amount of wear as yours do. I would say Nicks had a pretty strong presence back in Middle TN and Southern KY back in the day, as I've heard of a fair number of them that were used there. I'm thinking somewhere I've read that N/S had a branch in Nashville....but won't swear for sure. Anyone got any lit that might list the branches?

If folks are wondering about the cleats, a lot of Middle TN has a LOT of rocks....I got a chance to slip-n-slide with my 13 HP on some last weekend up at Eagleville, TN when we got done threshing. ;) I don't mind playing once a year on them, but would hate to see what it would do with my cast cleats if I had to do it all the time! :uhoh:

Mike M

BTW John-I think the "steam gods" smiled on you for getting your first Nick and doing the work needed to get it up to snuff, so they figured you were worthy for another one and this time ready for a real challenge!

HalfKeck

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
Nichols did have a branch in Nashville. One of the steam owners in TN has a story about his grandfather buying a N and S and driving it home about 60 miles.

Nashville sure has changed, I can't imagine driving an engine out of the center of town today:eek:

Nice find John, let me know when you go to retrieve it and I will try to lend some assistance.

KGC1615

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/09/2020
John, you might take a metal detector and go all round where the engine sat. You might be surprised what little "trinkets" you might uncover, that went with your engine. When I got Keck # 1483, I went all around it and found the a cast check valve and a step. You just never know.
Tom:j:

Joseph Graziana

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2019
The cylinder head is 1133 that maybe for the 13 hp in my parts book it shows 1132 for a 15 hp and bigger. If that the same engine rick apple showed me one time it is a 13 hp.

John Manning

Registered
I imagine it is the same engine. Was it 20 years ago or so? After looking at it all day and taking dimensions it is a very strange 16. By strange I mean
42-2" flues 76" long (13's had 38 and 16's had 40)
28 1/2 boiler id (13 had 28", 16 had 29")
61x 18 rear wheels. (in between 13 and 16)
Flywheel is 40" like a normal 16 and it has a 12x8 bore and stroke.

It has a bevel gear diff and a wet bottom boiler with dome rivets instead of steeple.

So it is a 16 but man it looks small. Everyone who knows and has seen it in person (real steam people who would know) says its a 13, but it is not.

Let me know what the population here things this thing actually is. We have reason to believe it is a 1905 model if that helps any.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Might the water pump be for sale?
sorry, not at this moment.

Joseph Graziana

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2019
All you need is the engine fram casting number and I can tell you what it is. My parts book is to new but I know were their is one that will tell me what it is all I need is the casting number.

John Manning

Registered
It is obviously a 16 hp engine by the 12" stroke and 8" bore. I just find it interesting that it looks so small. It fooled me, which is not hard, but it fooled others that really know steam including one gentleman that owns a 13hp Nick. If I had not counted the 42 tubes in the boiler I would have never looked any farther but that is more than even the 16's supposedly had. I guess the rear wheels being smaller than normal 16 hp Nicks also make it seem small and the barrel is practically the same size as a 13.
Here are a few more pics I took today just for fun.