• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Nichols & Shepard Had a Little One

Joseph Graziana

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2019
I can see the casting no on the gear it is for a 15 or 16 hp engine being it so old the engine is a 15 by the book. And that is because of the steam pressure was not more than 120 psi on that engine when new.

John Manning

Registered
Does 1905 sound right for age? It has the newer style crosshead so thats 1900 or newer I believe, but it still has a wet bottom and bevel gears in the diff. Top of dome is stamped B 4/05. It was guessed that was Broderick April, 1905. Thats just a guess though

Joseph Graziana

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2019
From the 1880s and up too a little after 1900 those engine didn't have more than 120 psi my 1883 jumbo in stamped in the back head 120 pressure and most all other companys the same. If you have a parts book it tell you from one engine no to engine no the changes that were added or taken off and the date it was done. Case dose this all the way in its parts book. And then sometime the owner in later years change thing from the old style to the new. And the company made it fit.

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
So if that's a 15, how rare does that make it? :brows: I was told if it was a 13, it would have been #6 of existing 13's....

Interesting soft patch by the front hand-hole, can't tell exactly how it was attached, is it bolted on? I've seen patches riveted on before, but not bolted!

Gary, you were only off by one horsepower! :D It doesn't look as old to me as the Barnes engine, since the Barnes engine has cast-in cleats and cast wheels, from what I can tell this 15 looks like the rim is steel and the cleats are riveted or bolted on. As I said before, my buddy's 16 is pretty darn close in size to my 13 Gaar, it's a fairly small little engine. Would be interesting after getting this engine going to park it next to my 13 and compare sizes. Mine's an 8" x 10" bore/stroke.

Mike

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
Git yer matches and I'll come help you drive it out of there!:D

John Manning

Registered
So does anyone have a sales book brochure from 1904 or 1905 that might look up the specs for a 15 or 16 hp engine? All of my books are newer and the info does not jive with what I am seeing.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
John,

Congratulations on a great save! Any chance you'll have it out by the Derting auction and just happen to have it nearby?

We have 2 13's that come to NTA, but I don't have photos close by. They are totally different from each other also. I wonder if either would be similar to yours?

Thanks
Beth

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
John,
The Hon Rev told me tonight to let you know he checked the excerpts he could find from the 1904/1905 catalogs he could lay his hands on....in that time frame Nick built a 15 HP engine...if I remember right he said it had the same barrel diameter as a 13 but with four extra tubes, the firebox was the same size as a 13, but had the same engine proper as a 16. You might want to give him a call, he could tell you a little more about it in-between him drooling over the Big 40 G/S!

From what he said, it sounds like the same size engine that you've found.

Mike M

John Manning

Registered
Beth,
It will be at its new home long before the Derting auction. It will be in downtown Clarksville, which is about 30 min south of Hopkinsville. Not sure how far from the south side of Hopkisnville the Derting place is.
SteamDaddy,
Sounds like the mystery is solved. Same size boiler as a 13 with 4 extra tubes and a 16 hp motor. Also boiler stamped 1905 so that goes along with the catalog years. Cool, I believe I have a 15.
Now what in the world is a 15 and who has one so I can look at it?
I imagine this thing will be a little powerhouse. An 8" bore and 12" stroke in something the same size as a 13hp. Who says big things dont come in small packages.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
So if that's a 15, how rare does that make it? :brows: I was told if it was a 13, it would have been #6 of existing 13's....

Interesting soft patch by the front hand-hole, can't tell exactly how it was attached, is it bolted on? I've seen patches riveted on before, but not bolted!

Gary, you were only off by one horsepower! :D It doesn't look as old to me as the Barnes engine, since the Barnes engine has cast-in cleats and cast wheels, from what I can tell this 15 looks like the rim is steel and the cleats are riveted or bolted on. As I said before, my buddy's 16 is pretty darn close in size to my 13 Gaar, it's a fairly small little engine. Would be interesting after getting this engine going to park it next to my 13 and compare sizes. Mine's an 8" x 10" bore/stroke.

Mike
Mike,
Win a few, lose a few... Oh well! This has been a great lesson in 13-16hp N&S engines. Casey's has the cast wheel grouters and yes, it still retains the locomotive style crossheads. Son Mike used to pull four bottoms at Belgrade with this engine and she just ticked right along, kept up with the 40 Peerless and either the 75hp Case or 22hp Minneapolis. This picture has Mike at the throttle and Kevin Small steering. Gary;)

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Actually, that little 16hp Nichols & Shepard did a pretty fair job of pulling the 20-bottom plow at Belgrade. This is son Mike at the throttle.

This was David Vanek Jr (30Advance) at the throttle. You can see the governor is spread wide. Gary:O

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
You better watch it Gary, you're going to give John M some BAD ideas!!!!!! :eek: How far would it pull the plow before running out of steam? :crazy:

Mike M

Joseph Graziana

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2019
You have alot to learn about boiler repair in the early days when patch bolts were used in repair of boiler before welding was around. they would put the hole bottom in a boiler with patch bolts. Harrison put 8 in every boiler built new on the outside corners.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
You better watch it Gary, you're going to give John M some BAD ideas!!!!!! How far would it pull the plow before running out of steam? :crazy:

Mike M
Mike, it'd be hard to use a magnifying glass on these pictures. On the front of the plow is "prankster John" Schrock, I'm next, then Austin Monk, Clyde Corley, Dick Tombrink, I don't know the next, Lyle Parker, and I don't remember. Now, other than honest old me, the rest of those guys would "pull your chain" when the opportunity arose! I kind of think son Mike and Dave Vanek came up with the scheme? We were pulling the plow with the Peerless and were about 4/5 done with the round. Whomever started this process got us to close the throttle on the Peerless, back up, and pull the hitch pin. We drove it up out of the way and Mike backed the little Nick into the chain. I thought he did a pretty good shennanigan in the manner he threw an innertube into the firebox, tightened the clutch a little, walked it into the chain with the engine pushing stuccato exhaust puffs and my camera caught the governor (in both pictures) in a side view. I can no longer remember who took the pictures with my camera? You know Mike, I think that little Nick could have pulled that plow to the end of the field... if we'd all lifted our moldboards out of the ground?:shrug::brows: Gary:O

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Gary, that's about what I figured....I didn't know if the lil' engine could have pulled the plow for about a foot before it ran out of breath....but figured it couldn't have been very far! :brows:

Looks like that would be a neat little engine to run-just my speed. Small & old, just the way I like 'em! :brows:

Mike M

Jeramy Busch

Registered
The rear cyl. head part # is 1132. One of my parts catalogs says that it fits 15, 16, and 17 hp engines after 4691 and 18 hp engines 5562 to 5791.

---------- Post added 09-21-2011 at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-20-2011 at 11:53 PM ----------

If you can get a casting # off of the stack base it should be 1072. That fits 14 & 15 hp engines. Going by the cyl. head # it's not a 14.

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Jeramy, the last I heard John had not found the bell for the top of the stack. What is the part # on that piece, and what sizes does it fit?

Mike M