• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Nichols & Shepard Had a Little One

Aaron Bixler

Registered
I need a bell for my smokestack as well. Stack diameter is approx 9 1/2 inches. 13 up 1894 S/n 4806.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

13hp Nicholas&shepard. Need diameter of rear water tanks. Any help would be great.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
I need a bell for my smokestack as well. Stack diameter is approx 9 1/2 inches. 13 up 1894 S/n 4806.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

13hp Nicholas&shepard. Need diameter of rear water tanks. Any help would be great.
Aaron,
Sent you a PM.

Anyone hear if John's been able to get his new baby moved yet? :shrug:

Mike M

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
Mike, I hope so. He only has a week to get it ready for Portland TN! I'll bring the matches.

John Manning

Registered

I have access to a good foundry and there are several parts I am going to have cast for my engine. So far, smokebox ring and door, rear damper chute, smokestack top and probably will clean up the pitted smokestack base, bondo and smooth and have it recast as well. I found cast bases for the watertanks buried beside the engine. 1 is still intact so I can get the diameter for you off that when I get back over there.
I will post before I go to the foundry if anyone else needs the pieces I am replicationg so they can have one made as well.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Thanks for the update John! Glad to see it out!

Did the front pedestal just push up into the smokebox or what?:shrug:

Beth:wave:

John Manning

Registered
Did the front pedestal just push up into the smokebox or what?:shrug:

Beth:wave:
When we found it the front pedestal was no longer attached because the smokebox was rotten.

We went out with jacks, a welder and some pieces of metal and welded it back together just so we could move and steer it. The boiler is beyond repair anyway so we figured no harm.

John Manning

Registered
Oh and while we are on pictures, whatever steam cylinder oil they used was good stuff. Im thinking about bathing in it if it will keep me as preserved as this piston and cylinder.

And just a couple more for fun.

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
John,
Congrats on getting her moved! Really look forward to looking her over next weekend...you bringing the big girl so's you can park them side by side and take some pics? :brows:

Mike M

Aaron Bixler

Registered
John could you get the diameter of that tank for me. I need it so I can get the pattern made for my 13. Congats on your find. It will be a nice engine! Thanks

HalfKeck

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
I think John has been busy with some other projects. He is still tinkering on his big engine and also has been helping his buddy on a Case engine rebuild. It may be a day or two until this one reaches the top of the to-do list.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I think John has been busy with some other projects. He is still tinkering on his big engine and also has been helping his buddy on a Case engine rebuild. It may be a day or two until this one reaches the top of the to-do list.
Thanks, I can just tell that this is going to be a great looking little engine again some day.........