• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

NO 2 Jewel - Serial 2009 - Info wanted

Alco112

Registered
Hi,

I just brought home this No. 2 Jewel.

20190928_170732.jpg

First quick inspection looks like it will be more of a clean up than a restoration. Machined surfaces are wiping clean after a few squirts of WD-40. Cyl is nicely coated.

PhotoGrid_1569711868366.jpg

Trying to locate any info about it. I have found a few threads on here with a little info.

Looking for any other owners and any additional info. Serial number lists etc.

Thanks in advance!

MFaris

Registered
I really can't give you much in the way of info, other than good buy! Jewel's are very sought after engines!!

You might want to get in touch with Frank Orr up in Lynden as he has a number of them.

Alco112

Registered
Great thanks I will look him up.

I found a few videos of one at the Lynden get together. Thanks for the tip!

Ryan Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Congratulations! I was wondering who outbid me on that. I was too busy loading semis to see who picked it up.

I don't have much information about Jewel engines but I can tell you a little something about yours. I pestered Alan about it a few years ago and he told me it was a NOS engine. It came from a shipping yard or something and that engine has never been used. It still had the wood shipping plugs and everything in it until I noticed them rotting out and put metal plugs in. Aside from the patina, you have basically found yourself a brand new engine. If I can find it, I have a chart somewhere that lists out the sizes and specs of the Jewel series engines.

You must post a video of it when you have it going! And if you need a steam supply, just let me know and we can take care of that. Good luck!

MFaris

Registered
I pestered Alan about it a few years ago and he told me it was a NOS engine. It came from a shipping yard or something and that engine has never been used. It still had the wood shipping plugs and everything in it until I noticed them rotting out and put metal plugs in.
Jeez Ryan, with that knowledge you should've kept bidding!!

Alco112

Registered
Sorry for outbidding :) But thanks for sealing it back up..

As I was loading out Kyle told me that it had never ran. Thought it might have been a tall tale passed down.. But after looking inside it is easy to see that it has never been used. Zero wear on any surface, and you can still see the original maching marks in the cyl bore. Main bearings look like the babbit was poured yesterday. So far no pitting on any of the machined surfaces, just a bit of water staining. Really amazing for something that old.

Hopfully somebody has a serial number list. Would like to learn the manufacture date.

I'm really looking forward to getting it under steam. I will update with progress as I open it up more.

Thanks,
Will

Congratulations! I was wondering who outbid me on that. I was too busy loading semis to see who picked it up.

I don't have much information about Jewel engines but I can tell you a little something about yours. I pestered Alan about it a few years ago and he told me it was a NOS engine. It came from a shipping yard or something and that engine has never been used. It still had the wood shipping plugs and everything in it until I noticed them rotting out and put metal plugs in. Aside from the patina, you have basically found yourself a brand new engine. If I can find it, I have a chart somewhere that lists out the sizes and specs of the Jewel series engines.

You must post a video of it when you have it going! And if you need a steam supply, just let me know and we can take care of that. Good luck!

Joe K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Nice to see a spirit of generosity displayed.

We compete against each other in acquisition - but in reality we compete for CUSTODIALSHIP. None of us are likely to be the last owners - and custodialship has its responsibilities - as well as its pleasures.

And one likes, at least the generous ones, to think in terms of "the best custodian won."

Joe K

Alco112

Registered
How common was it to have an engine shipped with grease cups instead of oilers? Cheaper option maybe?

This engine has grease cups on all the points.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Never seen an engine cross-head lubricated with grease. Not sure why your engine has grease cups.

Interesting...........

Alco112

Registered
Easily made a few shiny pieces while doing other chores tonight. Two hours in vinegar and salt brought out the shine. Still a bit of caked grease, but fun for almost zero work. The strap is sitting in the electrolysis bucket overnight bubbling away.

Main connecting rod bearing shells. You can see the original tooling marks from the bore. Not ran all the way in yet.

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Last edited:

Alco112

Registered
Dissasembling the valve gear today. Removed the valve stem yoke from the base. Insteresting how it was mounted and aligned. Looks like it was shimmed true and then lead poured in behind to form a solid base in the correct alignment. Everything is so simple on this engine, yet done well.

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Valve stem in the electrolysis vat now. Should be almost new in a day or two.

Alco112

Registered
Finished cleaning up the connecting rod. Now starting on the eccentric.

Interesting that the eccentric strap is cast iron directly on the eccentric. Everything else has a bronze or babbit bushing.

The loading must be pretty light with its larger diameter giving more bearing surface area.

Common on other stationary engines?

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Last edited:

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Not uncommon on eccentrics for the strap and eccentric to both be cast iron. Big surface area and modest load.