• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

NO 2 Jewel - Serial 2009 - Info wanted

Alco112

Registered
Haven't posted for awhile.. busy trying to find floor space in the shop.

Tonight I pulled the piston/rod and have the crosshead now soaking the electrolysis tank. Nice to see the crosshead guides on the frame will clean up good. Original machining marks still visible here as well.

PhotoGrid_1580694805503.jpgPhotoGrid_1580694854795.jpg

Rustyjunque

Registered
Had to go out to my shed to make sure mine wasn't missing, LOL. Seriously, nice find!

On another note - I have seen Jewels with cast lagging on them. Mine is like that of the poster, sheet metal and I am sure it was added later. I'd like to replace it with copies of the original lagging. Does anyone have a segment for a #4 Jewel that they would be willing to part with? I can use it to cast replacements out of aluminum, I've had some success doing it with smaller engines. Thanks, Greg

Alco112

Registered
Another part pulled out out after soaking for four days in the electrolysis tank. No wire wheel work or pre-cleaning, just a quick pass by hand with a medium scotch brite pad after pulling from the tank. This is done under the hose after to remove the left over black residue before it dries into the pores of the metal.

Sprayed with boe-shield to keep from flash rusting until I have time to re-assemble.

Still amazed at how good this method is for removing rust and leaving the original base material intact. Only requires a quick scrap of the anode materials once a day or so to keep the process moving along.

20200209_205502-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
I can't say I'm disappointed in any way that you outbid me on this. You've been doing a great job cleaning this engine up like it should be. I'm happy you have it and are enjoying it. If I had gotten it, it would still be sitting untouched while I'm scrambling to finish up the projects we still have at the Iron Ranch. I do need to update the post about the 1881 Westinghouse at some point with the progress it's made. That's been one of my biggest time draws. As well as about 9 billion other things.....:headbang:

Alco112

Registered
Thanks! It has been a fun project to work a few hours here and there. Hopefully I can keep plugging away!

Would love to stop by and see your progress sometime. Any progress on makeing new drive gears?

Your welcome to visit my messy shop/junk pile anytime. Woodland isn't far..

--Will

I can't say I'm disappointed in any way that you outbid me on this. You've been doing a great job cleaning this engine up like it should be. I'm happy you have it and are enjoying it. If I had gotten it, it would still be sitting untouched while I'm scrambling to finish up the projects we still have at the Iron Ranch. I do need to update the post about the 1881 Westinghouse at some point with the progress it's made. That's been one of my biggest time draws. As well as about 9 billion other things.....:headbang: