• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Nordberg Engines

Registered
Can anyone help me in identifying these Nordberg engines. I believe they where built between the late '30s and early '40s. They where rated at 50 HP per cylinder and may have been a precursor to the later FS-9 series of engines. I am looking for the series number and when they where built.

Attachments

Registered
Re: Nordberg

I use to work for Nordberg and have 10 3 ring binders of information on Nordberg. So far struck out on these engines.

R Shannon

Registered

I can't answer your question about the engines, but I do have a Nordberg product. I have a Nordberg-Buday table saw With a Wisconsin Model ABS. You could also get it with a Briggs Model B or 1.5 electric. It has a round table. Has anyone out there ever seen one?

K-Tron

Registered

The closest that I can find is the model FSG-96 with 9" bore and 11-1/2" stroke, rated 44hp per cylinder, at 600rpm in naturally aspirated form, and 66hp per cylinder in supercharged form. My Diesel engine catalog has a picture and a cutaway of one, but it looks different and has different covers than the one you are looking for. I would love to find a Nordberg 4FS1 to add to my collection. It would look nice next my 1-71GM. Do you know of any?

Chris

Registered
A good friend of mine has a 2 cylinder and he will not part with it. Don't know of any other though.

Registered
Before WW II, Nordberg built 3 Four Cycle Engines. First being a model DBTG-24 (16.5 X 24), next being a FSG–16 (16 x22) and then the engine in question. The first two pictures are of the DBTG-24 and the next two pictures being the FSG-16. As we can see the third set of two pictures (being the engine in question) looks a lot like the FSG-16 only smaller.

After WWII a new design of four stroke engines where released for production. The Engines where a the FS 9’s (in the last set of pictures) and FS 13’s. The FS 9 where a 9x11.5 and the FS 13 was 13x16.5. The early FS 9’s, like the mystery Engine, was also rated at 50HP per cylinder @720 RPM.

So I am guessing that the Engine in question has probably the same or close the same bore and stroke as the newer FS 9. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Sooty Jim

Registered
I found a Nordberg ad from 1937 (attached) and it shows this engine on the top left but it's glaringly short of detail. In fact, the 1937 Diesel Engine Catalog (Volume 2) from which it was taken does not have a section on Nordberg. The next one I have is 1942 and while it has plenty on Nordberg, it does not show this engine. Must have been a short term production unit.

Attachments