Harry

Administrator
Staff member
North West Regional
BRANCH 150 SNAKE RIVER ANTIQUE POWER ASSOCIATION
Engine & Tractor Show
July 1 - 4, 2006 - Buhl, Idaho
Hosted By EDGE & TA Branch 150-Members of Southern Idaho

You are invited to attend the celebration of a life-time in Buhl, Idaho! In July of 2006, the city of Buhl will celebrate its Centennial in conjunction with its annual Sagebrush Days Events. Mark your calendar and share this information with club members. Plan to join the fun at this year ’s unique NW Regional Show. Additional information will follow as it becomes available.

Ed Hedge

Re: Northwest Regional - Idaho July 1st to 4th

Thanks Harry, Looking Forward to seeing you in Idaho At the N>W> Regional:) Jan Hedge

Orrin

Re: EDGETA NW Regional show

I'll be there, but only as a spectator. Because of high gasoline prices I'll be driving my wife's commuter car down and will be camping out on the cheap. It's my way of being able to afford to attend events four weekends in a row. :)

At one time Harry Matthews said he'd be there, too. Are you still planning on it, Harry?

Regards,

Orrin

John Ledbetter

Subscriber

Bob Johnson said:
Anyone plan on going to this show? My friend and I will be going from Northern CA and would like to meet any one of you that might be there. We will be leaving Wed morning and staying for the full show. Hope to see some of you there.
Bob, All of us at Branch 150 welcome you and your friends from California and from all other places to the Regional Show in Buhl, Idaho. It will be nice to meet all the people that we have met on the Smokstack. Let's all make it a great show and have a fun time. And yes, Harry will be here.:wave:

Ed Hedge

Bob, Glad to hear your coming to the NW Regional. Looking forward to meeting new stakkers and you showing a good time in Gods Country.:wave: :wave: As far as we know Harry is almost here. Jan

While at the Brook, Or swapmeet over the weekend I heard several people talking about the show over in Buhl, Idaho. Buzz Stetler and I will be attending and I know of others that will be there also. Heck I'm going just so I can personally thank Harry for what a GREAT avenue he has provided us with for gathering information and also to give John Ledbetter the raspberries!

We'll be staying at the MR. BIG resort just out of town! Great food, nice comfortable beds, hot showers and a wonderful view of old iron.

John Ledbetter

Subscriber

and also to give John Ledbetter the raspberries!

Wayne, you are off to a good start, of all the great engines that you and Buzz have, here you come with a John Deere! Maybe if you are nice, Lauren will let you two run some of his nice engines. I'm sure he'll let you crank the 60 hp or maybe one of the larger ones. Have a safe trip and get here a day or so early, so you can help us Old guys get set up :crazy:

get here a day or so early, so you can help us Old guys get set up

Just like John........wants someone to do all the work for him!

See you on Friday.

Ed Hedge

Wayne, Tell Buzz to bring his show shirt he got at Tulare. Be nice if you could be here on Thursday. Jan

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Northwest Regional - Idaho July 1st to 4th

John , Orville and Lauren work on the 32HP Fairbanks Morse type N making it ready for the show. Lauren will have a number of his Ns there from 60HP on down. Second photo: Harry, Orville and Lauren.

Click here for a video clip of this engine running at the show!

Attachments

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Northwest Regional - Buhl, Idaho July 1st to 4th

Here's a link to an audio file of John Ledbetter's 8HP Novo as recorded on an LG cell phone and converted to a wav file:

http://www.old-engine.com/image/engines/soundfiles/novoedit.wav

Keep watch of this post for other interesting engines recorded at the show.

The photos below are of John next to the Novo sitting in the shade with Louie Bulcher and Art Devisser on set-up day spinning yarns as usual. (Photos taken on the LG cell phone's camera.)

Attachments

Harry

Administrator
Staff member

The gallery of show photos is displayed here:

http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=62

Sound file of the 12HP Fairbanks Morse T Electric:

http://www.old-engine.com/image/engines/soundfiles/fmt12.wav

Movie clip of the 12HP Fairbanks Morse T:

http://www.old-engine.com/image/engines/soundfiles/fm12t.wmv

Movie clip of the 25HP Fairbanks Morse type N:

http://www.old-engine.com/image/engines/soundfiles/fm25t.wmv

Movie clip of the 32 horsepower Fairbanks Morse type N:

http://www.old-engine.com/image/engines/soundfiles/fm32hp.wmv

Higher quality sound clip of the FM 32. Set your player to loop:

http://www.old-engine.com/image/engines/soundfiles/fm32.wav

Harry

Administrator
Staff member

At the end of the day, the club had a meeting and then served up and enjoyed a fine dinner of beef, pork, beans, baked potato, salad, rolls, homemade cake and ice cream. An engine show doesn't get better than this!

Attachments

Harry

Administrator
Staff member

This type N engine is started by priming, then turning it into reverse compression and then hitting the firing charge. It is fired by a .410 shotgun shell primer and a short section of black powder sealed with wax. Once the charge lets loose and explodes the fuel mixture, the engine starts and runs in the normal direction.

Movie clip of the 25HP engine running:

http://www.old-engine.com/image/engines/soundfiles/fm25t.wmv

You will hear the muffled adjacent 32HP fire twice in the background while this 25 is running. I count twenty eight missed revolutions between hits.

Orrin

Thank you for posting some great pictures, Harry. I could have left my camera at home. :)

The pictures tell only half the story. The other half is meeting and getting acquainted with the nicest and friendliest people there are. Getting to meet you, Harry, and other Stakers, such as John Ledbetter, Wayne Thackery, and others was the highlight of the trip. Renewing old acquaintances with other Stakers such as Dave Otto, John Merry, Norm and Sandy Hansen and others rounded out the experience.

The folks of EDGE&TA Branch 150 are to be commended for putting on a well organized show. They took care of every detail and didn't leave out a thing. Good job.

I'm button-bustin' proud to have been there. My only regret is not getting a picture of all the Stakers when we were all there at the same time on Saturday. I was surprised at how many of us there were.

Thank you, John, for starting the Harris for me. You did a great job of restoring it to perfect running condition. It fired on the first pull. I was impressed!

Orrin

John Ledbetter

Subscriber

Thanks, Orin, for all the kind words about the show & me. It was nice meeting and visiting with you, and putting faces with the names that I see on Smokstack. I'm sure all the members of Branch 150 thank you and all who attended. Hope to see everyone again soon..John :wave:

Ackman

John, with all the compliments, how are you EVER going to get your head through the door??? :p Sounds like everyone had a great time! THANKS for the invite...sure wish we could've made it out there to meet you! :) Harry's pics & vid's made it seem like I should've tried harder! Oh well.....my loss! :shrug: Take care! :D

Just got home last night from the Buhl, Idaho Northwest Regional show and wanted to thank John Ledbetter, Lauren, Holley, Lynn, Lonnie & Larry Langdon, Buzz Stetler, Jim & Jerry Johnson, Ed & Jan Hedge, John & Vickey Merry along with their two kids, Vernon Bethke, Gordon & Bea Morris, Dick Erickson, Louie, Jean (who kept everyone fed with the most outlandish meals you would every want to put in your mouth).......along with many more which I don't seem to remember. This years show was simply outstanding, as was the weather! Lauren put on a show of his own when he arrived with his semi load of large FM N's, along with his son Lonnie driving the 15 ton Grove crane for unloading! Very impressive Lauren!! Also need to thank Harry Mathew's for his contribution in getting the Web-Cam up and running so everyone that could not attend would be able to enjoy as well. Harry you are the glue that keeps us all together! Thanks again Lauren for the many private tours you gave of your collection. Everyone that I talked with was very impressed with your hospitality and willingness to share! I look forward to seeing you all in a couple weeks at the National's in Washington State.

Bob Johnson

Email NOT Working

YES we did make the show and was it ever great. The park and lawn along with the shade trees, the wonderfull people and meeting everyone especially HARRY.We took our time coming home but had a marvelous time. Thanks to all the Members of Branch 150 for a wonderful show. They spoiled all of us with Ice Cream every afternoon and a wonderful dinner.
Once again thank you

Bob

out west on the high dessert