• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Not Sure Reflector Maybe Brake Pedal

rknarr2

Registered
I found this in my mom's back building and I removed a plastic sheating that has a tacky rubber diamond inside a diamond iron frame. The metal frame is about 3 3/4" from tip to tip on one side and nearly 3" tip to tip on the other side. Each metal frame edge is around 2 1/2" each. I have no idea what this is I thought maybe a reflector or a brake pedal for a horse drawn equipment or for a tractor? Thank you for assistance.
Regards,
Robert

Attachments

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
Re: Not sure Reflector maybe brake pedal

It's a hot patch for a tube, someone gave me clamping fixture last week, I'll post a picture.

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020

Some of the old farmers would reinflate their tube type tires with propane in a pinch. Then later they would take them in to a local repair shop and swear they never used propane. The repairman would clamp this patch to the tube and when he lit the match to light the fuel tablet the tube would explode. His ears would be ringing but he could still wring the owners neck.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

That really brings back memories! Don't think you can get them any more. Back in the mid 60s, dad had one of these for fixing implement tires. If you got it real clean, you had a 50% chance of success. I recall all the smoke from the various attempts, working in the basement next to the coal furnace. Wasn't till the advent of reliable modern chemical / solvent cleaning patch kits that I had reliable results.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006

This is the clamping fixture, would have had a large rubber disc to pad the tube. THe tube was placed on the rubber, the grate clamped down on the patch, light it and wait for the smoke to clear. It did a good job.

Attachments

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

Back in the mid 60s, dad had one of these for fixing implement tires. If you got it real clean, you had a 50% chance of success.

I have to disagree! My dad had a hot patch setup and it worked great. They stuck like crazy as long as you scuffed the rubber properly.

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
Our shop had an electric one, just don't forget it was in there. Did that once. The boss was not happy. Sort of melted the tube.:D

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Here are pictures of a hot patch holder and two hot patches on a tube.

We used one for years and I was disappointed when we couldn't get them any more.

Attachments

gleaner

Registered
We used those all the time when I was a kid. I even patched bicycle tires with them. Worked great for us. Way faster than the old glue system where you cut your patch from a sheet of patch material that was in the camel can.