• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Oil changes and reservoir capacity

paulgareau

Registered
Hi.

As a new owner of a Kohler generator, I was pretty surprised about the oil change interval on Kohlers and pretty much every other brand I've looked into. It seems like reservoir capacity is the big issue, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have an external oil reservoir and maybe a pump to circulate oil between the crank case and reservoir. Crazy idea?

Paul

Power

Registered
Hi.

As a new owner of a Kohler generator, I was pretty surprised about the oil change interval on Kohlers and pretty much every other brand I've looked into. It seems like reservoir capacity is the big issue, so I was wondering if it would be possible to have an external oil reservoir and maybe a pump to circulate oil between the crank case and reservoir. Crazy idea?

Paul
The reason for frequent changes on most is lack of oil filter. If I were to add an external reservoir on a unit without an oil filter, my pump system would include a high quality filter. That would allow a substantial extension of change intervals, and lower oil temperatures.

The benefits have to be weighted against the fact that adding things increases complexity and points of failure.

Since mine are only used as back-up, and I want the oil temperature to get high enough to boil off water vapor, not worth it.