• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Oil injection port

Rick Strobel

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2011
:wave:

Without using a BIG (inch and a half) T, what would be the best way to pipe the oil into the main line? I'm thinking of drilling/tapping a 1/4"npt hole into a nipple but we're not sure about "thread engagement rules."

Another BF is to machine our own weldolet and weld that to the main line..which I like.

Comments please :idea:

TIA,
RickinMt.

PS: 1/8" weldolet might work also

Last edited:

Jeff Smith

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
Rick,

I have seen many steam lines drilled and tapped, and also the welded fitting. I prefer the welded fitting because I think that it would be harder to damage if something like a wrench was dropped on it by accident.

Jeff Smith

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Rick,
Like Jeff, I've seen tons of them drilled and tapped. You're likely drilling a piece of schedule 80 pipe anyway, right.
G;) ary

AndyG

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2014
Do both. Threads the nipple into the main pipe then put a small fillet weld around it. Make sure that the nipple projects almost to the center of the pipe so that the oil will feed into the steam stream properly.

JMathews

Registered
Do both. Threads the nipple into the main pipe then put a small fillet weld around it. Make sure that the nipple projects almost to the center of the pipe so that the oil will feed into the steam stream properly.
Most states won't allow welded niples of aney kind.

Rick Strobel

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2011
Most states won't allow welded niples of aney kind.
Thanks J...we've been wondering about welding "after the boiler." Hopefully Gary and the Montana Gang can shed some light on Montana reg's. Corky and I will be looking in our copy of App. C.

:wave:
Rick

Last edited:

Jeff Smith

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
Rick,
Drilling and tapping has been plenty sufficient for over a hundred years.
Gary,

That is true, I guess that with new welded boilers and all of those welded fittings for washout plugs one gets used to seeing those attached to everything. :)

Funny how our Huber has the same size pipe plugs threaded into the back of the boiler.............

Jeff Smith

JMathews

Registered
Ok I stand corected, sch40 piping was used on these engines 70+years ago now sch80 is required. up untill the mid 80's sch 40 was still used. The point is times change, Kansas requires no less than three threads engagment for all pipe fittings. All of the oil lines I have seen were in a drilled and taped hole in the lead end of the throdle valve housing or govner housing not in the steam line. It will work there it is up to you and the inspectors, keep in mind not all states or inspectors will allow the same things. Do it right the first time and save problems later.

ChadYelland

Registered
up here, its sch 80 up to and including the first shut off in the line. so technicaly even on a main steam line if theres a big Dome valve 40 can be used the rest of the way. we are slowly changing everything but suction lines to all sch80 just for the added strength. the 3-4 threads engagement is the code here allso. many valve bodys have been drilled and taped in the bottom for drain cocks (oh how nice it would be to seldom see frost) we have about 100 days without it each yr!!