OilPull Heaven and More - Milton Steam Era 2019

G Willikers

Sponsor
There are over 70 pictures to post. With the new picture posting process on here, this will have to be done over several days.
The Steam Era show has been one of Ontario's best known.This year, it moved to new quarters at the Hume Family farm northeast of Milton.
In my humble opinion, it was a great move and let's hope the show can keep going there for years to come.
Great show, excellent layout, tremendous wealth of tractors, ploughing in the back field.
Here are the first batch. I'll highlight the OilPulls to start, and flip in another make at the end of each post. Steam Era has always been noted for having a great selection of OilPulls.
Here we go. Hope it doesn't get boring. There might be some duplication.

1. Calhoun's F
2 & 3. Edgar's E - Mr. Clarke at the controls.
4 & 5. Calhoun's S
6. - not sure of owner on this fine old Titan?

Attachments

Last edited:

G Willikers

Sponsor
Here is another batch. The plowing field was dry and stiff, a bit on the clay side. They put on a good show anyway.
The weather was superb on the Saturday, not overly hot. The club's food booth put on a good spread. The cheeseburgers were first class.

7. F on 8-bottom JD plough.
8 &9. Coulson's group.
10. mixed group - X, W, Y
11. Dawson's M
12. Calhouns, including their "new" Eagle.

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
13. Dawson family 'M' Rumely - a long time staple of the show.
14. I think this is the Coulson 30-50 - fine original tractor.
15 & 16. Coulson's Rumely power unit - Model R?
17. sorry, it is late (for me) - can't recall who has this X? Oh, Coulsons?
18 Hoover's wonderful Cat Sixty.

This is likely the last for tonight. I am fading fast. It has been a long day.

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Just a note, please post pictures if you have them. I missed lots of stuff.
Here is another batch.

19, 20 & 21. Snell's 20-35 'M' with serial number 5! A fine original that came from eastern Ontario.
22. a very nice 30-50 Y. Sorry, Dawson family? There were thought to be more Ys in Ontario than anywhere.
23. Calhoun's 30-60 S. Great tractor which they got at Jim Erdle's auction. Papa would be proud because he was a regular at Steam Era.
24. Garbutt's No. 3 Weston Series Massey-Harris. A Canadian tractor that still can pull! One of the nicest running tractors you will find - anywhere!

Attachments

casertractor

Subscriber
No#22 was the late Bob Clarke's tractor from Milton and has now come back into the Milton area and is now owned by the Wendover family.The Wendover family farmed with this tractor in the Milton area for many years i think this tractor was sold new out of Downs Rumely dealership in Milton or the Rumely factory in Toronto?.Just a great all around tractor

G Willikers

Sponsor
In the second picture in this set, is one of the earliest members of the Steam Era club, Ron McEachern. I think the little 20-30 OilPull in one picture earlier was his.
One thing that was evident at the show, was the number of younger people involved with the older tractors, and some younger ones yet coming along. That is a great sign for things to come.

25. this young lady is a Stak member as is Bill, who is hiding .
26. the same young lady with her Grampa Ron, putting the Waterloo Boy through its paces-it doesn't get any better than this!
27. Mr. Graham's Cockshutt-Hart-Parr. If you go to:
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189588
Curt has some film of the show. Curt's Grampa was Bill Earl. Bill was a great friend and we had many good Steam Eras together telling tall tales and talking about everyone else! We often had our tractors side by each. I miss ol' Bill.
28. not sure?
29. Tim's big Sixty making dust. It was nice to see his dad and mom in good fettle at the show.
30. steam engine games. There were several nice engines on hand.

Attachments

24. Garbutt's No. 3 Weston Series Massey-Harris. A Canadian tractor that still can pull! One of the nicest running tractors you will find - anywhere![/QUOTE]

Fully agree with your comments above Rick, thank you for posting this photo, it made my day to see this tractor out and being used and enjoyed by it's owner in the field.

I was introduced to this tractor by Peter Ledwith at the Museum in 1996, once I had driven it that was enough to want to own one, 2007 I realised my dream and now there is this one in Canada, one in Ohio USA and mine in England.

They are a very "gracious gentleman's" tractor.

Malcolm.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Waiting for the mouse to recharge on my work computer, so one more group.
I thought you would like that one Mr. Robinson. A "gracious gentleman's tractor" eh? Stay tuned to Antique Power in the new year!;)

31. a 20 horse rearmount George White turning logs into lumber
32. Team Calhoun stepped up only a few weeks ago to get this 20-35 Eagle. It had been owned my Mr. George Kimble from Fingal. George was a great person and showed the Eagle at many shows years ago. It has a known Ontario history from its original sale by Waterloo Manufacturing Co. and George found it near St. Thomas. Great that this one stayed in Ontario.
33 & 34. sorry, I didn't spot this one until the fading light of the day, and I had to head for home before they rolled up the streets back home. Nice old Case and disk plough. I'd like to have one of those ploughs. Not sure who owns this. Looks like a restoration has begun?
35. there were an amazing number of Titans at the show, all working well. Not sure about this one. Thanks caser for identifying some of these.
36. I believe the Humes own this outfit?

Attachments

casertractor

Subscriber
#36 John Deere 40 crawler from the Belwood area.Crawler is still being used on the farm in the bush this the reason for the roll cage

G Willikers

Sponsor
Another batch.
37. a line-up of some of the Hoover family collection.That family has some younger blood coming on strong too. Watch for possible announcements for 2021 about the Georgian Bay show in Cookstown!;)
38, 39 & 40. Corey's amazing Linn. I think some of this stuff will be seen at the HCEA-Ontario show at the Simcoe County Museum in October? https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189220
That is another great show.
41.a nice ploughing scene - a lot of action out there. This is a Hydro corridor that is rented. The soil was dry and a bit hard, with a few small stones. All in all, they put on one heckuva display!
42. Mr. Hume's big Minny. She is a thing of beauty!

Attachments

I am very pleased to see Steam Era has finally got the boost it deserves moving site to the Hume Farm.

Seeing all these great photo's and early tractors at this years event reminds me of Steam Era back in the mid 1990's, I remember seeing the Rumely feature in about 1996, what a great line up it was.

The last time I was at the event on the Milton grounds it was very poor, I never thought it would survive and then the blow of the recent fiasco with CHP.

Well done to all for saving and putting new life into a long standing Ontario event, long may it continue to grow.

Malcolm.

Jeff Blaney

Subscriber
Rick, the Titan pictured in #6 and #35, belongs to Andrew Garriock. Andrew is another young collector and is pictured at the controls. That Titan previously belonged to Steve Helmer I believe?
My father and I really enjoyed the show and loved the new show grounds. I hope Steam Era can continue to build upon what they were able to accomplish at this years show.

casertractor

Subscriber
Special thanks goes out to the Hume family for the use of their land for the show this year at short notice wich is something i am shure Sherwood would have also done as he and the family have always been big supporters of the hobby in Ontario and beyond.... anything to keep things going.My hats off to the members/volunteers and the board of directors of the Ontario Steam and Antique Preservers Association for all their hard work to put this show on under the circumstances:salute:.See everybody next year for the 60th Anniversary show

G Willikers

Sponsor
Might as well do a few more - probably last until this evening. Actually, the photo posting system seems to be back to normal. For a while, it got so you could only load one pic at a time. You can put 6 on a post now and they are larger, so nice. Thanx Mr. Matthews.
I did not use a number 43 or a 49, for some reason - too sleepy last night to notice?.

44, 45, 46, 47 & 48. Hume's 20-40 Sawyer-Massey with S-M grader. That makes a very nice combination.
50. A nice grouping of Gibsons.

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Here are a few more.

51 & 52. a nice original 10-20. Not sure of owner?
53. the threshing was a ways off to the north side of the display area. It did make for an attractive scene though.
54 & 56. Titans and such.
55. quite a line-up.

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Here are some more shots.

57. the Heaslip family's wonderful Silver King.
58, 59 & 60. a very nice assortment.
61. Tractor Curt's Cockshutt and a nice Case C?
62. Calhoun's big-arsed S!

Attachments