• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Oily Rag Magazine

cobbadog

Registered
Mine arrived during the week and have started to read it. The "FEED BACK" comment inside the front cover deserves a good response.

If he is a subscriber just send the page with "Laughter is the best Medicine" and nothing else.

Perfect solution for someone who is not doing anything to contribute his stories.

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
Just a courtesy note to say that #64 is currently (at time of writing this) being printed and packaged ready for posting first thing Thursday (11th April) morning.

NOTE:
Now that Steve Smith & Dave Warner have completed their respective suspensions. The Australian Cricket Board has confiscated all the sand paper (coloured that is) :O:D, so this edition is on your basic white, again.

Apologies for the lateness.

Best get on with it.

Best wishes, jayvee :wave:

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
Any of you OR subscribers here on the 'Stak have a wife named Lucy? and renewed your subs electronically? :shrug:

DEPOSIT lucy subs
Account The Oily Rag
Transaction date 27 May 2019

Of the 34 outstanding subs (till 31 May), I'd like to narrow the field and process said renewal but this is all I have to work with.
Bank cannot add anything further.

There is a distant possibility that it might be a new sub, but I'm doubtful as new sub enquiries usually make contact to obtain electronic banking details. :crazy:

Any leads and or help on this matter greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Best wishes, jayvee

jayvee

Registered
Hi Ian,
Thanks.
Denis is paid up until 30th September.
I don't get too many who like to pay early.

jayvee

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
Just a courtesy note to say that I have just started printing #65,
Hopefully will be in the post later today or Thursday morning.

jayvee

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
Number 65 (June 2019) is now in the hands of Australia Post :eek:
Good luck with that! :O

jayvee

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
For your interest, #67 (if you could call it that) has just been handed over to Australia Post.

For the international readers; As of Monday 30th September Australia Post has increased its O/seas mail charges varying from $.50 to $1.50 per magazine. :rant:

Oz readers are not affected by this price increase.

jayvee

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
Working at getting #68 together ready for printing.

I have just been advised by Australia Post of the following;
“Update on Basic Postage Rate and business letter price increases.
Effective 2 January 2020
The ACCC has indicated, on 14 November 2019, that it does not object to Australia Post’s draft notification proposing increases to Ordinary Small and Large Letters prices, which will increase the Basic Postage Rate from $1.00 to $1.10.

Australia Post will now progress the required processes for the proposed increases to take effect on 2 January 2020.

Along with the increase to the Ordinary (stamped) letter prices including the BPR, there will be increases to business letter prices effective 2 January 2020.

These are the only planned price increases for these services in the 2019/20 financial year.”

Print Post charges affecting "The Oily Rag" (in its current format) has increased by a further 6.5 cents. (from $1.87 to $1.935 per item)
This is for the Regular Postage timetable.
Overseas postage has been affected with an increase of $1.50 ($12 to $13.50 per item)

Also, to add insult;
Printing charges for “The Oily Rag” will increase significantly from January 2nd 2020. This is to cover maintenance and expenditure costs of the printer.
[I should not complain, this is the first price increase for printing since the magazine’s inception]

Unfortunately, these increases cannot be absorbed within the current subscription rate and will therefore have to be increased.

Therefore, commencing January 1st 2020 -12 month sub will increase. Price yet to be determined. Hopefully I’ll know within the next week.
If you wish to beat the increase, I'll accept early payment. (No pressure to do so.) If unsure when your sub expires please contact me.

Hope this gives a "breather" (at least) before any further price increases are necessary. I can only hope.

My apologies, but this is out of my control.

If you think "That's it, enough!" and pull the pin, I understand.

Helping spread the merry this Christmas. :bs:

Thank you for your time.

Best wishes, jayvee

cobbadog

Registered
Thanks for the 'heads up' jayvee.
Price increases happen in business all the time and that is the way it is. Keep up the good work, we do like your articles.

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
#68 is on its way. Lodged with Aust Post at 9:30a.m. (2nd December)

Note; A couple of the regular features are missing from this issue due to (something that doesn't happen all that often) an overwhelming supply of articles/stories.
DON'T PANIC, everybody's favourite page is still there. (the ensuing uprising would make the Hong Kong riots look like a storm in a tea cup. :D)

Some articles/stories have been held over and placed into #69.
My apologies to those who submitted an article and find it's not in this current issue.

THANK YOU to those who have supplied stories or photos or supported the Oily Rag to make it what it is today. I truly appreciate it.

Wishing you all a safe and joyful festive season.

sincerely
John V (jayvee)

Just taken delivery of 3 boxes of sand paper. So it looks like #69 will be back to original paper. JV

jayvee

Registered
Hi All,
Courtesy note to advise #69 is on its way. Lodged with Aust Post at 9:00a.m. (SA time - 3rd February)
Back on the original paper. But for how long????? :unsure:

jayvee

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Jayvee, didn't read all the posts in this thread and this question may have been answered in there somewhere. Do you post to overseas addresses from Australia? Sounds like a good read with some enjoyable articles. Have you thought about maybe having online subscribers? Not sure how that could be done but a digital copy would work for me and I could print out and enjoy. Just thinking a bit. Anyhow, whatever way I could access it sounds like your publication would be one I'd enjoy. Thanks.

jayvee

Registered
Jayvee, didn't read all the posts in this thread and this question may have been answered in there somewhere. Do you post to overseas addresses from Australia? Sounds like a good read with some enjoyable articles. Have you thought about maybe having online subscribers? Not sure how that could be done but a digital copy would work for me and I could print out and enjoy. Just thinking a bit. Anyhow, whatever way I could access it sounds like your publication would be one I'd enjoy. Thanks.

Any of my readers (both current and former) wish to speak/comment on my behalf. Don't be shy.

Yes I do post and welcome overseas subscriptions. Currently post to UK, Netherlands, Belgium and USA.
Digital copies I have thought about but my problems are;
1 Files too big. Have tried to reduce to accommodate but failed miserably
2 Due to copyright breaches, some of the contributors will not support if I go digital.

I'll whizz a PM to you with details.

jayvee (john V)