• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

O'Keefe & Merrit/Hercules ZXB

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Hi all, I recently bought this old generator for the wheels for my Kohler project but the whole unit was too nice to break apart. I was able to get it running pretty easily. But I can't figure how to hook up the power end to the front panel. Any help with the year or other info would be welcome. Thanks Chris

Attachments

Military Dave

Registered
Hey Bent Trigger, I have an E-3 too and am currently trying to find the correct manual so I can effect a correct restoration. When I find it I am going to scream from the highest peak, then post it on the internet for all to have for free.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wow, sure glad you saved it! They most definitely do not make anything of that quality anymore.

Looks like there was originally a breaker in the panel, now missing.

The generator appears to be self excited (no separate exciter hanging off the end), so should be fairly straightforward. Don't want if these employed a voltage regulator of some type, or not.

But, having never worked on one, I'd have to be there to figure it all out... :shrug:

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
When I find it I am going to scream from the highest peak, then post it on the internet for all to have for free.
I hope ii hear ya!! Is your power head wired to the panel and do you have any pics or ideas about how to hook it up? Chris

---------- Post added at 06:42:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33:06 AM ----------

Don't want if these employed a voltage regulator of some type, or not. :shrug:
There is an old and new regulator a box of spares. I have seen some pics of similar units with a regulator on the gen above the starter motor. I'll have to see if that gen puts out voltage and what kind. Also this unit starts ok with a 12vdc battery so I hope I'm not killing the starter motor. The only tags with info are on the governor, power head and engine block. I suppose the 2 main lines out of the power head are 120vac each, but what are the little wires for? Looks like I'll have to take it apart and make a drawing.

Last edited:

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Is that the one that was on Ebay for a fairly long time? I recognize the Briggs & Stratton carburetor that was added. If it had been closer, I would have snagged it. And yes, I wanted those wheels!
Good save!

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Yes John, Ebay $125.00! So the carb is a Briggs & Stratton? Do you think it's original? I think Everyone here would have LOVED his barn!! Packed with everything from h&m to turbine. A super collector and really nice guy.

Brownboat

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2016
Original probably had a Marvel Shebler TCX39 carb. Later version of the model have them.

As far as manuals go. There is a Dept of the Army, TM 5-5037, Dept of the Air Force Technical Order TO 19-45-268, Titled: Generator Set Portable, Gasoline Driven Skid-Mounted, 3-KW 120-Volt, 1-Phase, 60-Cycle O'Keefe and Merritt Model E-3 with Hercules Engine Model ZXB-4, dated December 1953 that covers pretty much everything you will ever want to know.

Military Dave

Registered
Bent Trigger, YES my E-3 has never been taken apart. Everything is in its' rightful order. I have some pictures, but none that are specific for what you need. Send me your Email address through a private message, I will move things around in my garage so I can get to it, take the pictures you need and send them to you.
I read that you also received a box of spare parts, would you happen to have a spare air cleaner for the engine? If so, I will make a decent offer if you're willing to sell it. Mine is gone and would really like to have an original.

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Hi Dave , sorry but the extra parts I got were limited to original regulator with a new style spare, the crank handle and a couple of bracket looking things. As for the wiring, If you can agree we have the same front panel, I'd like to know where the two big wires coming out of the power head go and the two little ones also. And a pic of the starter relay and generator for the battery, still got mine apart trying to figure it and the old regulator out. There are screws that line up with the regulator and I have seen a pic of a gen with the regulator mounted directly to it. Here's some pics. Thanks Chris

Attachments

Brownboat

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2016
Yes, it is one book, although the title suggests there are two. Manual has over 200 pages.

nblack

Registered
Glad you got it! it was on Ebay for quite a while. 125 was an approachable price. Had it been closer, I too, would have jumped. The TCX-39 is the correct carb, but the medium two-piece flojet will yield very good running results. Thanks to Brownboat for the manual info. I will wait for another to show up without a crazy price tag. ( I have almost every permutation of a ZXB gen except that one) I believe that the outputs are 120V, two wire. best of luck, and show LOTS of pics!!:):)

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Hi nblack, it's been awhile since we've talked. Yes this is a nice little gen. Hopefully Brownboat will get back to me when he gets home from vacation. I still haven't figured out the wiring so any help from him or anyone will be well appreciated. If you've got a similar gen maybe you could take a picture of where the wires go for me. I still haven't got around to making a gaseous setup for the old Kohler but I do have some more pictures to post tonight it's almost back together. Chris

Brownboat

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2016
BT, The manual has some basic wiring diagrams. I will be back the end of the month to make at least copies of the diagrams initially.

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
So I dropped the regulator (Controller) off with some Old time vintage car guys to try to get the way it's wired and what an AREAR!!! 5 theories, 3 facts and it seems I know what the Battery drop out coil is!! Well they are still at it , should get a diagram for the 6dcv thing tomorrow. What a blast! Chris

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
So I got the regulator/controller back from the old guys. It had a hand drawn wiring diagram. I was not sure what the S terminal was they said it's the armature, the F is the field and the B is the battery and goes to thru the ammeter. I'll mount it directly to the gen as there are screws that look like they fit the chassis. I did not ask them if I could use a 12vdc battery with this setup but reading some post from another old car forum the guys have. What do you guys think? Pics later Chris

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
This is for the battery charging generator? Those regulators are voltage specific.

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Yes, It only charges the battery and controls the running voltage. I'll post a pic tomorrow.