• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

O'Keefe & Merrit/Hercules ZXB

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Based on it's vintage I would guess it to be 6 volt. But you can bench test it with a battery charger, Variac, and a voltmeter.

Connect the battery charger to the regulator chassis and the S (armature) terminal, along with the volt meter. Supply the charger from the Variac.

Slowly start bringing up the voltage, and note when the relays pull in. If it's around 7 or 8 volts, it's 6 volt.

If it is 12 volt, and you put a 6 volt battery on it, it is likely to burn out the generator.

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Awman, I just want it to work!! :rolleyes: Will a DC power supply work? I use one for plating and it goes to 30 amps? Thanks Vanman. I think I have seen one of those at the shop, I'll ask around. Chris
Sheesh! :salute:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
If your power supply is adjustable voltage, then it would work great in place of a Variac and battery charger.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Looking good!

The other coil should be energized with the same connections, though it's action will likely be more subtle. It will operate at a somewhat higher voltage as well.

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
SO it's been a while since I've updated this thread. I have found that this regulator is only for charging the battery. I got a copy of the wiring diagram from Jim (Thank You) and found i am missing the exciter regulator. So i bought another genny from ebay and picked it up this weekend. The motor is shot and I'm not ready to go into the rebuild that it will require, so I'm going to part it out on ebay. I'm going to keep a lot of the parts for my project, the control panel the exterior shell, carb ,air filter, oil filter, magneto breather and some other stuff. Here's some pics. Chris

Attachments

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
What i mean is that It will be more work than i want to do. I really only bought it for the parts, While hoping the engine was OK. This will need at least 3 valves w/guides and a set of rings, with a complete disassembly to check the lower end. It is really not worth the time and money, except for historical aspect. I only wanted to get my first working and complete. Not saying it can't be done just look at the 5R61 thread!

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Oh, once the head is off, it usually doesn't take much to get it to compress well and fire.

the magneto... if the engine turns, roll it slow, and see if the impulser clacks just after TDC. If so, put some test sparkplugs on it and see if they got spark. You MAY hafta lift the ground kill wire (if it has one).

As for that voltage regulator, I've not seen one LIKE that, but I know how it works.

The big coil is connected to the generator's output... meaning, a little output voltage drives the coil.

The coil pulls an armature with a series of contacts. In this case, I believe the armature 'swings', and it probably has a little compound linkage to make a little armature tension pull a LONG distance in the linkage on the contacts.

On the left and right side, are resistor arrays. These resistors are all wired up so that they're ALL in series with the field supply... but the armature (noted above) shorts around ALL of them when the generator is not running. As the output voltage increases, eventually it reaches a point where the voltage across the coil becomes high enough to pull in the armature, and in doing so, it changes the tap position of the bypass contacts, and in doing so, it gradually adds resistance to the field circuit, which lowers field voltage. Effectively, the voltage coming in determines the resistance going out.

It's obviously a bit cruddy. It might clean up okay, and it might not... but a RegOhm is a common, similar competitive unit of the era. There was documents online for the Regohm last time I looked... that'd be a good read for general concept.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
No updates?

BTW... the regulator is a Ward-Leonard piece... they were prolific manufacturers of variable speed drives... they were found in everything from cranes to high-rise elevators to machine tools. My Monarch 10EE precision toolmaker's lathe had a variable speed spindle drive that was built under a Ward-Leonard patents by Reliance Electric.

As far as ZXB recovery, it is not uncommon for a guy to come across a mil-spec ZXB power unit that has an extra set of valves in it's spares box, so they're not unfindable. I really don't think it'd take much to get it back amidst the running. I'll bet Noel Black could have it back in operating nicely (but perhaps not cosmetically perfect) condition in 30 working hours...